• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Big Boy is running again. Check out the videos on YouTube!
They are supposed to run it down the tracks tomorrow and it arrives in Ogden Utah on the 9th. First time one has left Cheyenne (under its own power) in over 60 Years.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My daughter and son-in-law volunteer at the depot museum every week. They got up front views of the whole shebang. I think they “live streamed” the whole event. Not sure what live streaming is but they had a great time.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
STOLEN Live Steam Locomotive @ Seattle, WA

This was sent to me by a relative of mine who knows my interest in all things RAILROAD related.

I know this is a non-MV item but certainly worthy of keeping as many eyes open as possible......

https://komonews.com/news/local/thieves-caught-on-video-stealing-mini-steam-train-in-west-seattle (SEE VIDEO )
Thieves caught on video stealing mini steam train in West Seattle

SEATTLE - Thieves stole a mini steam locomotive from a garage in West Seattle - and the entire crime was caught on surveillance video.

At least two people broke into the building early Sunday morning. Video shows the burglars head straight for the corner of the garage, where a 1,300-pound locomotive was sitting on a platform.

The two thieves wheeled the engine through a back door, dumped it into a pickup truck and drove away.

“I have thought worst-case scenario,” the train’s owner, Don Giffen said. “I’m just at a loss right now. I don’t know what to do.”

Giffen bought the steam locomotive 25 years ago for around $60,000. It’s become a family treasure ever since.

Trains run in the Giffen family. Don’s father worked on trains, as has his son and grandson. His son Dale now runs the family business, Miniature World Family Fun Center in Birch Bay.

They have a mini train park where families can take a ride.

The steam train is their most precious locomotive by far. It was in for maintenance when it was stolen.

“To think you might never see it again, it’s really just a gut-wrenching feeling,” Dale Giffen said.

The family is now offering a $1,000 reward for any information that leads to the train’s return.

Last edited:

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SP

Hi all I would like to let you know that this Saturday ,20 July our SP 9010 ( krauss maffei Munich Germany 1964) will be making special runs. We will MU it to another Diesel with a couple cars of the right age, to commemorate the only time a KM ever pulled a passenger train. Check out the website for more info at www.ncry.org

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sp9010.ncry.org/sp8799.htm A good story on the history of the Krauss-Maffei operations on the EsPee.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sp9010.ncry.org/sp8799.htm I give up!!! Nice article on the history of the Krauss-Maffei locomotives on the SP.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big Boy Engine rolls again

This caught my eye this morning while checking how the world is going to heck in a basket:

[h=1]After nearly 60 years off the tracks, the world's largest steam locomotive roars[/h]
Back on the rails for the first time in six decades, the only operational Big Boy steam engine in the world is on a journey across the Midwest to mark the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869.

Another site with some nice video's of the monster.

Also found the schedule of where the train will be passing. Just a little bit outside my sphere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks