• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ranch truck

M1075

M1075, Never thought in a million years I would be talking to the guy building the Range Master. I don't know why every rancher doesn't want one of these vehicles.:cookoo:They are awesome. May I ask why you dropped the back axle ? I feel like those walking axles make the ride on my rough trails a whole lot smoother. I would rather drive that truck than my pickup. I wish you were a little closer so I could come and look.
We dropped the back for marketability purposes. A 4x4 deuce is much easier for the average guy to visualize & accept as a pickup replacement. Even though a 6x6 provides much more cabpability & capacity, the extra axle scares off a lot of people. Our next build will be a standard configuration M35A3 6x6.

We dropped the back for marketability purposes. A 4x4 deuce is much easier for the average guy to visualize & accept as a pickup replacement. Even though a 6x6 provides much more cabpability & capacity, the extra axle scares off a lot of people. Our next build will be a standard configuration M35A3 6x6.
Ok that makes since, yeh I don't know why people are intimidated by that extra axle. If they ever rode in one they wouldn't be, but I have to admit it messed with my mind a little bit too. Are you having many inquiries? How are people responding to the concept ?

gunboy1656

I just had my deuce and a car show last weekend and a guy backed in beside me with aa full size pickup.

He asked all the usual questions, then he asked me what it is like to drive a truck that size. So I had him back up so our trucks were lined up. His mind bout blew up when he realized my truck was not much bigger then his.

TroyHog

I love it! - My buddy and I were feeding cattle the other day and he said, "Wouldn't it be cool if we had a huge Deweze on this thing" - then BOOM - you did it. HA

How many bales do you think you could haul if you didn't have the cake boxes on?

Was it a real nightmare to do? I would love to have even some crude plans from you - I bet you learned a lot by the second go.

I would love to do this to my 923 - I have a pasture that I have to make several trips to and this would give me an excuse to use my beast every day - we have been feeding hay for three months here in southern Missouri - no end of drought in site - hay is costing $75 per bale

how much weighs a bale? I'm paying this year $20 /220 lbs a raise of 100% last 3 years...

@CR cool idea and good work!
Thanks . It depends on the type of hay (grass, alfalfa, canex feed, etc.) and how it was baled ( real dry conditions or some humidity) and even the baler, but my 4'x4' round bales weigh in the neighborhood of 800#. 4'x 5' around 1100-1200#. I had to buy some 5'x5' feed hay last year that weighed over 1400# a bale. Neighbor bought some 4'x7' squares that weighed in at 2000#. Most of my hay is bought by the ton and the last I paid was about $200/ton. So actually your getting a bargain!
With the drought going on we will be lucky to get any hay at all. May be time to sell out, retire, drive around in the old army truck, and have fun.
Last year cake was $385/ton which was extremely high. This year its going to be $427.

Things are bad here in SW Missouri as well. There will be lots of folks pulling the plug on their operations due to the drought.
Yeah, that's what I hear. Guess the whole midwest is affected. 2nd worst big drought in history behind 1956. That's the only thing that makes it a little bit easier to face is knowing I'm not the only one. Many people have sold plum out all ready, and others have cut their herds way back trying to survive. The railroad started a fire a year ago last April on a day the wind was blowing 60 mph that bur ned my Dad's ranch and his house. He fed the cattle every bite they ate for 5 months, then finally sold out. He got 0 rain. Pasture land blew away. We finally got a little rain this year that grew some weeds for ground cover. So, needless to say we're ready for El Nino!

Yeah, that's what I hear. Guess the whole midwest is affected. 2nd worst big drought in history behind 1956. That's the only thing that makes it a little bit easier to face is knowing I'm not the only one. Many people have sold plum out all ready, and others have cut their herds way back trying to survive. The railroad started a fire a year ago last April on a day the wind was blowing 60 mph that bur ned my Dad's ranch and his house. He fed the cattle every bite they ate for 5 months, then finally sold out. He got 0 rain. Pasture land blew away. We finally got a little rain this year that grew some weeds for ground cover. So, needless to say we're ready for El Nino!
here's some pic's . Remind you of the dirty 30's?

Attachments

leeh725

Well this is a great thread. I bought an M35A2 W/W a couple of years ago. I could never get over the bed load height. I wanted to be able to use the truck on the farm since our average rainfall is in excess of 60" per year. However, the bed height just made the truck inconvenient to use. So I sold it to Tiny110 and bought an M1028, an M1008, an M1009, and an M1031 w/ SECM bed. At least I have some good visual ideas if I ever buy another one. Thanks for the posts!

eddiec

I have been getting 5x5 round bails close to me for $25.00. If anyone needs some , let me know. I will give you the gentlemans number. Just please leave me a few.

Well this is a great thread. I bought an M35A2 W/W a couple of years ago. I could never get over the bed load height. I wanted to be able to use the truck on the farm since our average rainfall is in excess of 60" per year. However, the bed height just made the truck inconvenient to use. So I sold it to Tiny110 and bought an M1028, an M1008, an M1009, and an M1031 w/ SECM bed. At least I have some good visual ideas if I ever buy another one. Thanks for the posts!
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Where the heck is Orange, Texas? 60" of rain !!! I want to move there !

I love it! - My buddy and I were feeding cattle the other day and he said, "Wouldn't it be cool if we had a huge Deweze on this thing" - then BOOM - you did it. HA

How many bales do you think you could haul if you didn't have the cake boxes on?

Was it a real nightmare to do? I would love to have even some crude plans from you - I bet you learned a lot by the second go.

I would love to do this to my 923 - I have a pasture that I have to make several trips to and this would give me an excuse to use my beast every day - we have been feeding hay for three months here in southern Missouri - no end of drought in site - hay is costing $75 per bale
TroyHog did you get my PM?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck had been parked with a farmer for the last two years. Last year in the north of the Netherlands, it was very dry until early summer, than it did not stop rain. One way ro the other, it id not do much good the haying fields. This year summer it switches like crazy: few days heavy and long rains low temps, than few days of almost tropical heat, storms and again rains. .

Hate to say it, but be ready to get more and more of such summers. Politicians and polluting companies still are fighting back, but global heating is here to stay.

leeh725

Orange, TX is on the Gulf Coast at the Texas/Louisiana border. Rain (Rather, lack of) was never a problem until last year. We're getting plenty, this year.

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cattle Rancher,
Nice job on both trucks. I'm originally from southern MO and moved here from the Joplin area. At one time we were running about 1400 cows. Have used all the major brands of bale beds. Dew Eze, Cannonball, Hydra-Bed. etc. With your hydraulic setup can you push the bale with an arm to one side or the other, or does it stop and let the other arm come tight against the bale? How much weight will they lift? Some of my 5x6 grass rounds are pushing 1700 lbs and wrapped silage bales will weigh quite a bit more than that. Any experience with more than a 5x5? Thanks! Am really impressed with your fab work!
[thumbzup]

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics cattle rancher, you have certainly done a lot of retro fitting to make them suit your needs, the work looks top notch also! Nice job and I greatly appreciate the pics! Great trucks and its nice to see them doing something other than parade duty!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks