• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rausch Creek 2009

OLDCHEV4X4

Rausch Creek Oct.22-25 2009

Now that its Jan 1 2009, i thought i would get this on the calander before the wife puts something on the same day.
Last year it was Oct. 10, 11, 12. But it was kind of crowded at the park. And the trucks that arived late to camp (me), had a less than desirable parking spot. The park said that this weekend was their busiest weekend of the year.
What do you guys think of moving the date up or down a weekend? It will give us more room for camping and parking and out on the trail.
Of course No.2Diesel has the last say on this since he is the CO of this rally.

Update: The dates for this years ralley are Oct. 22-25 2009. Please mark you calander.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

He and I have traded a few PMs about the rally. We didn't write about changing dates although we all discussed it around the fire at the campsite (I was awake for that part)

Parking along the edge of the campground would seem to be limited to the width of the campsite. If you went further towards the trail head you'd be able to claim more edge space but there's a lot less shade and a lot more dust and noise down there. Also, those spots were taken by 9 AM Friday.

As you gents have said, I'd like to see a less crowded weekend. Hopefully, with a less crowded weekend the park staff will actually enforce their "quiet hours" rules instead of deciding to give up due to the crowd. I was a lot more frustrated with the mass inconsideration than by the crowd itself.

One possibility we did discuss was trying to milk another day out of the trip. He and Rob had permission to camp over to Monday because they were continuing on from RC and not going home Sunday. Perhaps they would extend the same courtesy to a larger group. Effective leadership and established credibility usually go a long way to getting an exception to policies.

I don't think they were open Thursday but I wonder if we could work out a Thursday PM arrival and hit the trail early Friday?

Alternatively, my son(s) and I could get to the area Thursday PM and stake out a little bigger camping area and parking area at O'Dark-thirty on Friday. I think the minefield marking signs worked fine to keep the parking area clear.

Lance

No.2Diesel

Those are all great ideas. Thanks OLDCHEV for bringing this up. That means you're still really excited about it:-D

"I wonder if we could work out a Thursday PM arrival and hit the trail early Friday?"

-Maddawg had this idea last year and maybe we should implement it for 09', although it does require an additional day off from work for those who have a hard time getting time off.

-It would be nice cuz' we could all depart from our homes after rush hour (~0900) and arrive at the park in the afternoon. It would make for a more relaxed convoy.

"I vote a weekend earlier. That weekend was far too crowded for my tastes."

-After watching the rally more than double in size in 08' I think it is in the best interest of all those participating that the rally be moved from its original weekend. Future rallies will bring more forum members only making for more crowded conditions.

-I have not contacted Lynn @ RC yet so I will look at their calendar for an empty weekend.

Before a final decision is made I would like some more input from past participants as well prospective attendees. Will decide next week.

Thanks again for keeping the discussion going.

Opie

Here's hoping my rig is in shape mechanically to make it this year. All of my cousins are now married off, so I shouldn't have any conflicts.

I missed hanging out with you this fall!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Opie! Glad to see you're still kickin' around!

Missed you at RC this year, hope you can make it to a few events in 2009...

FormerNewMVGuy

Its nice to see this in the planning stage's already. I am good with any dates that the group decides on :-D The past rally was alot of fun,even with the large crowd and the late night shenanigans! Gave it a real party atmosphere:wink:, Although at my age i do like a good nights sleep:wink:

Looking forward to next Rally

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I asked Lynn from RC the questions you guys raised.

Her response:

"October is the busiest month of the entire year so it's hard to pick any
weekend that's going to be less crowded. We will have more camping space
opened up by the time your event rolls around however. And yes, you can
arrive Thursday to set up camp prior to wheeling Friday. Arriving
Thursday you'll be able to stake out your territory well in advance of the
weekend crowd. And you can bring your own fire rings."

The answer isn't so clear on an alternative date, but we can arrive on a Thursday afternoon and bring our own (and larger diameter) fire ring:twisted:

Should we push this thing into the first weekend in Nov? just throwin it out their:| People's schedules in general would be less busy.

Let me know what your thinkin:cookoo:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
COLD WHEELING in November in PA. But since there's not a real rally elsewhere in the late fall, this might help to "spread out" the events I have planned this year. Plus it might be good for a change. I'm in.

OLDCHEV4X4

I vote for a October date. The scenery is beautiful, witch adds to experience. And its a little warmer. If it rains and we are into november it could be a cold and wet and scare people away.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to participate this year. Early November might be a bit chilly, but I'd be up for it.

No.2Diesel

Yeah your right, Nov. might be too much with the weather for some.

Well we got:

Oct. 15,16,17,18

or

Oct. 22,23,24,25

Hmmmmmm........:| I vote for the latter option if that counts for anything.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Well we got:

Oct. 15,16,17,18

or

Oct. 22,23,24,25

You guys can't do it on Oct. 22, 23, 24 and 25. The Ga. Rally is that weekend and we don't want to take all your participants!

rofl

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys can't do it on Oct. 22, 23, 24 and 25. The Ga. Rally is that weekend and we don't want to take all your participants!

rofl
Oh, no worries, clinto. We get all the guys that don't like you. :-D

PA is way too far away to drag any offroaders from your rally, and vice versa. This past RC rally, I was the furthest south member to show up, from No. VA, as RC is only 3.5 hours up the road from me. GA rally would be 12 hours at least. I think we're both safe.

OLDCHEV4X4

Well we got:

Oct. 15,16,17,18

or

Oct. 22,23,24,25

Dave , you are the CO of this event, so you can vote.... or ...pull rank and "tell" us when the rally is!

My vote is...........

Oct 22-25
Randy Davidson 1-15-09

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks