• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rausch Creek CONVOY INFO

No.2Diesel

Lets Convoy!! :eek:

The seven Ps and strong communication will make the journey as fun and safe as the destination. I hope everyone that is going will link up and convoy.

I have little experience with CB radios (except for saying stupid crap to truckers on family trips when I was little :oops: ) Maybe the wise radio elder (OPCOM) can give us some pointers on what channels to be on. I'm sure everyone has a cell phone but CBs are alot easier for Commo when everyone is in the convoy.

So... Lets get started.

From the East:

I as well as others will be traveling from the East and North. I-78 will be the main route for those originating from these directions. (NewMVguy: just drive North along the Delaware to I-78 and you can catch the "train" when it reaches you.)

From the North:

I-81 will be used by those coming from Northern PA and Upstate NY.

From the South:

Members trekking from VA, MD, WV, DE will most likely use either I-81 or I-83

From the West:

I-70/I-76 will be the order of the day for folks from Western PA etc.

All attendees: Shout out any ideas on times, truck/rest stops for meeting, fueling etc.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be trucking up I-81 from Strasburg, VA (exit 298). There is a pretty good truck stop off Exit 323 in VA, the Flying J. Also, in PA, there is a rather large truck stop at Exit 5, but I don't know the name of it.

Cdub

From the East:

I as well as others will be traveling from the East and North. I-78 will be the main route for those originating from these directions. (NewMVguy: just drive North along the Delaware to I-78 and you can catch the "train" when it reaches you.)

This works very well for me from the EAST.....NJ Turnpike to I - 78 west

but where and what time on I - 78....?? or is it still to early to tell.

C'dub

No.2Diesel

Hey Cdub, Hmmm....what time? come to think of it, I never decided yet to go early Friday morning or Early Saturday Morning. (Friday afternoon or evening would be absolute murder.) Either day is fine for me and I would like to accommodate others so that we can have as large a convoy group as possible. It depends on your energy level and how far your journey is. Those coming from afar may want to use Friday as a travel day and to setup camp or sight-see (Cabelas) and wheel a little. I'm pretty flexible.

For Metro NY area members its a 4-5 hour ride minimum. We could have our first large convoy rendezvous at the Vince Lombardi Truck Stop on I-95/NJ TPKE. Its right after the GWB. I'll have to find out locations and distances of other stops along I-78.

Swede

I will be heading north up 83 or 81 I am reall close to I-83 and I will take that up to I-81 right outside of harrisburg. I will go anywhere else to meet up just for the convoy effect. So if there are any Ideas i will go a little out of the way to meet up with a convoy.

No.2Diesel

SO WHEN DOES EVERYONE WANT TO GO? Friday or Saturday? Haven't heard on a preference.

For those travelling North on I-81 after the event: I will be convoying with you up until Binghamton. (pitstop at Bingham's in Harford, PA. Great homemade pies and breads :p )

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I will have to see if my Sons will be headed up in the M1009. I really dont have the duece ready for them to drive because it is storing most of my daily use tools that no one else in the family knows how to use while I am in Korea. I am pretty busy here could you post the dates for me to pass to them?

No.2Diesel

That would be great if your sons attended. Thats nice that your sons are trustworthy to borrow your MVs and jeeps :) It will be the first weekend in October (Columbus Day Weekend.) Oct. 5,6,7,8. Take Care.

No.2Diesel

Here is a tidbit of info for those who haven't decided to arrive Fr. or Sat. The RC staff mans the office early in the morning until 10AM. That means if you want to have fun for the day, you must show up at the park before 10AM so that they can sign you in.

Here is a detail map showing the location of the park entrance in relation to I-81. Also note the locations of two gas stations down the road.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can't arrive after 10am? That's kinda dumb. It would be a 4 hours drive north for me, perhaps slightly longer in the -725 or -35A2.

Also, anyone plan on bringing their kids? I might be bringing along my 5-yr-old daughter, she'd have a ball, but maybe would be easier to get along with if she had some friends there closer to her age....

No.2Diesel

Yes it is kinda dumb. I guess they don't have or don't wish to have someone manning the booth all day. I will email Lynn or Bruce (RC Staff.) I'm sure they will show some flexability on this. I think its just a case of not enough people to monitor everything in the park.

Thanks for the input.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think the check in time is due to the workers becoming trail guides and helpers. They really helped us out when Christian grenaded his spider gears in the Dana 35. The guide walked over to his truck and gave us some used ones to get home on. If I was not deployed I would be there it should be a beautiful time to be in the woods

No.2Diesel

Okay, I spoke with Lynn. Her concern was people showing up individually every half hour throughout the day pulling the staff away from the trails. Its really just a matter of prior notification and should be no big deal.

example: If a convoy group is to arrive in the middle of the day, the park should be notified of this prior and they have no problem checking everyone in after the official 10AM cutoff. I hope this is the answer everyones looking for.

If everybody posts when they want to go (Fri or Sat) we can start a conceptual plan. Thank you.

No.2Diesel

WARNING! ACHTUNG! Please be Advised!!! Exactly 1 Month until Rally!!!!! Time is marching on

I need some notification of commitments from those attending. Please Private Message me ASAP with this info:

*What vehicle attending with (need MV type to make your t-shirts)
*Time and day of departure from home so convoy groups can be determined

We need to be on the same page and start organizing convoy groups. One person from each group should be in charge to determine rendesvous points and times as well as gas and food stops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks