• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Really frustrated. .M1010 and questionable work

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok...need some insight here and confirmation that I'm not just being super picky.

Bought an M1010....wouldn't start...replaced lift pump and added electrical pump... still no joy....cracked injectora..nada..

Took it to a shop..said theyd charge a couple hours labor for diagnostics....They call me...twll me it's running...something about a stuck spring in the IP since it was sitting so long..

Well... My $300ish estimate is now about $900.. at this point I'm livid...but swallow it..since I paid next to nothing for the truck I was happy to get it done..and they pushed me ahead of someone else so I figured whatever...

Fast forwaed a couple montha and 2k miles later....

Exhaust valve disintegrates itself....no conpression... I need it fixed...don't have time to do it myself. ..bring it back to the shop...

They estimate about $1600 in labor plus parta and incidentals so around $2k to replace the head...they say they already had a head but it skipped my mind to verify j or c code. .

So....they're having a **** of a time with it saying 'these military rigs are conpletely different, nothing is the same '...which I know is Bravo Sierra and keep it an extra couple days...they finally get IT running....

$2800... WHAT HAPPENED TO $2K!?

They say it was time over run and issues and blah blah blah..... a new guy there tells me that they had to take the head off and put it back on multiple times because they kept screwing it up and honestly didn't know what was going on....

Now...this is a well known fairly reputable (from what I knew) shop who does 99% diesel work...

So...whatever..don't have time....give them the money...leave....

Next morning. ...go to start it up...

CLUNK BANGCLUNKRATTLERATTLEBANG.. (smooth idle).......clunk..... (smooth idle)... no smoke...but a definite low oil flow type sound... it smooths out and clears up...figured it was a one time deal....

Next morning..same thing... 50*...standard 15w40.... bangclunk...then smooth idle...no smoke or nothing...

Now I am furious.....

They get the rig back...and tear it down..and tell me I have worn rocker shafts...well hey...it didn't make that noise before...it shouldn't make that noise now..PERIOD.

They tell me they'll polish the shafts...then...after having it a bit...they call me and say it's not running right..and the IP is shot.....They wont 'fix it' without replacing the IP because it won't run....

I'm at wits end by this point....tell them to do it......since it sat for 6 or 7 years...the IP was on my to do list....well...that's another $1300....

So.....after checking in and finding out once again that they took it apart and put it back together multiple times...and again the new guy telling me that 'they were waiting for the guy who knows everything to get back from vacation'... $#$#$#!/@^!&#^$^$^!&#&#/$/$

So...I figure...whatever..it's running..

I go pick it up...its working great...

Get it home...go start it in the morning...and...before...it would fire up with the flick of a key...now it barely catches....

And....what's that smell? Smells like diesel....WHY IS THERE DIESEL FUEL COMING OUT OF MY EXHAUST!!?!?!?!?!? WHY IS MY TRUCK FOGGING THE ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD?!?!?!

Aaaahhhhhhh&!^÷€÷£#&#,÷£÷£#&×;/×_#£8÷!&

So...now... my truck is BACK at their shop..... they're saying there is air in the lines...and I'm thinking it's something more serious...

I'm waiting on a call for them to tell me it's 'fixed'.

And yes... I would have dumped a new engine in there...but its my sole transportation and couldn't have it down....and when they quoted me 2k......or 3k to drop a new engine..I didnt think they'd gouge me into 3k with a rebuilt head...

So..am I nuts?

I'm thinking I got seriously jacked...

I have a feeling I'm gonna get a call and they're gonna tell me that something else is wrong and not covered under warranty....

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the spelling and typographical errors...I'm posting from my cellphone.

Eta.. compression test was good after first 'fix'...

injectors on the side that were worked on were tested and 'within spec'......I paid $20 ea for that...

So...they either screwed more stuff up......or I have a bad injector that they failed to test properly ...or.... somehow the glow plug(s) aren't lighting....which they did before....

I didn't test anything because I didn't wanna risk them aaying that I touched it and voided the warranty....and...I've paid them about $5K in the past couple of months and I have nothing but a new IP to show for it....

Oh...and.... I forgot to mention....I have no power anymore...and it's surging...just like the 'old broken IP that we need to replace'....

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummmmm. I hate to say it, but yeah they saw you coming. Was the head they used tested for cracks? Did they use their rocker shaft or yours? 1300 for an IP? Dang mine was 255 and 4 hours time to change it. They didn't realize it was military the first time?

In NY they have to contact me if my bill will be more than 100 higher then the estimate.

Holy crap.........

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW , man you could have found a complete engine for that much , or at least a GOOD reman long block . I am confused as to why they are having such issues with a 6.2 diesel engine . The engine has been around in CIVILIAN and MILITARY vehicles for a long time . To be honest it is a pretty basic diesel engine , doesn't even have a turbo ! I would take your ride someplace else to get checked out , does not sound good . Does the repair shop give you a detailed invoice ? Did they call you and inform you of the extra cost of repair or do they just give you a invoice for the repairs when you show up ? Hate to say it but you need to start getting official so you can try and figure this out . I would also look into if your state has any programs that address Vehicle Repairs and complaints . Just from your info I can see "IMPROPER DIAGNOSIS , NQR,or Non Quality repairs , exceeding estimate , maybe some unauthorized repairs . BTW , this is NOT legal advise and I am NOT ! NOT ! a , can't say the word , LAWYER !!! just somebody who has been there and done that . I would be very careful not to put any more money into your MV until you get some additional info and can make a informed decision . good luck , bob k

Drock

I've had old cars my whole life. This M1028 is just the latest. In all my years of playing with classic vehicles like this I've learned one thing. (THESES ARE HOBBY CARS) you have to be willing and able to do the work yourself. You simply can't take a 30+ year old vehicle into a shop, of any kind. And expect the young kid there, that works on computer cars all day to know how your car (That's older them him) works. Don't believe me try getting an alignment on ah 1966 mustang HA!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be in your best interest to STOP going to that shop.

C15TA

As a shop owner I would like to point out that an estimate is just that. An estimate!! Now if that was my shop I would be embarrassed to be that far
out on an estimate and I certainly wouldn't proceed with the job without discussing the matter with the customer. As for putting the head on and off a few
times that is the shop's problem and at my shop we would eat that labour. My customers don't pay for our mistakes and that is what has kept me in business for
fourty four years. I would try to sit down with the shop owner and talk this over. Something at his shop is definitely wrong. Good luck.
Barry

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey , I have done LOTS of ALIGNMENTS on 60's vehicles , does that mean I am OLD ???? :shock: What's a COMPUTER CAR ????? , missed that one , seriously , I feel like Rip Van Winkle when I look under the hood of today's vehicles ! LOL TechinoWeenie , all the above is good advise , please take a moment and figure out a game plan , I have made plenty of " boy , wish I could do that one over again " mistakes , bottom line , learn from it and move on , it is after all just a piece of iron .. bob k

infidel got me

I have been an ase certified tech.over twenty years.
Those guys really have some big ones,that would never fly where I have worked.
I only hope that you didn't tell them[just call me when its ready]
A pow wow with the shop owner is a must,maybe he can help out.
I have never had to pull a head multible times,someone is either learning on your truck or they don't know what they are doing.
See what the owner says,maybe he is unaware of what has transpired.
Good luck,i hope it works out for you
WILL

M1031CMT

That is good advise. We had a deuce in a local big truck shop once (we didn't have the tools to do the job so we had to get the shop to do it) and we got hit with a bill for 8 hours work from a job that shouldn't have taken more than 3-4max. We talked to the lead hand in the shop and he found out that they put a junior mechanic on our truck (just out of school for a few months) and that he had problems, but said he didn't want to look stupid asking for help, so he did it by himself (which naturally took forever). He credited us 4 hours on the job.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks! Sorry to hear you're having so many problems. Definitely talk to the shop owner if the manager or foreman doesn't want to play ball. You shouldn't be paying for their do-overs.

I see some options on CL when searching 6.2 diesel if you want another motor altogether.

dependable

I do my own mech work, but if I took a CUCV to some place and they made the "Bravo Sierra" comment on military 6.2s being different (other than some electrical), I doubt I would use the shop or at least ask to speak to the head adult(to see if one was there). The main difference between the military and civ 6.2 chevy trucks I have owned is that the military ones tend to be way lower miles and often better maintained when I get them than the civ ones, usually the civ ones have over 100,000 miles, most of the military ones I have seen are half that or better.

I guess this observation may be of little use to OP. Good luck. You have spent enough at that shop they should work with you, hopefully.

You have a truck that is pretty easy to learn to work on. Maybe time to get some tools & dig in! Being able to fix it yourself is half the point.

TexAndy

lol, yep.

This is one of those Click and Clack call in stories. "If your mechanic is whistling a nautical tune when you meet him, RUN the other way!"

Gotta make those boat payments.

llong66

Oh...and.... I forgot to mention....I have no power anymore...and it's surging...just like the 'old broken IP that we need to replace'....
I just finished rebuilding a 6.5l and that sounds like a timing issue to me, I had to play around a bit to get it right, it is absolutely amazing to me how much differance a TINY adj. of the timing can make on these!

Where in Washington are you man? If you are close enough, my Grandpa knows of some very good shops in the Vancouver/Portland area that do high quality work for a reasonable price. Having recently rebuilt a 6.2 with my Grandpa, I wish I could say I could help but my current situation prevents it. Also, if you need a pair of heads, my Grandpa has a set left over from his rebuild that he wants to get rid of. I think they likely need to get re-done but that's one of the shops that my Grandpa knows. Wish you luck and no more idiot mechanics! (Military=different? C'mon guys, it's a GM 6.2...)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 brand new glow plugs were bad...meaning they left it in run without starting engine....

They can't duplicate the surging but it happened 30 seconds after leaving...sigh....

They tried to bill me for it...I about lost it...

I had a huge post written but my battery died and...poof..

When I get on my laptop I'll go into more detail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks