• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Disc Brakes

Brent.Cain

Oh ps its also cheaper if you buy yourselves own parts an not in a kit all you need it dana 44 calipers and dana front rotors its really cheap and works grate and the BTF brackets you don't weld on and after all who needs emergency brakes you have an auto trans

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently in the process of lifting my M1028 5" and am improvising an adjustable linkage for the prportioning valve. I will post photos when I get this done.

rnd-motorsports

Buy the brackets then get calipers and rotors and brake lines from your local parts outlet with or without parking breaks way cheaper! Do the hole thing for about 350.00. I myself remove the ball in the proportioning valve to the rear, equalizes the brakes front and rear! not only makes for better brakes but also cuts about 65 lbs or more.

Brent.Cain

Buy the brackets then get calipers and rotors and brake lines from your local parts outlet with or without parking breaks way cheaper! Do the hole thing for about 350.00. I myself remove the ball in the proportioning valve to the rear, equalizes the brakes front and rear! not only makes for better brakes but also cuts about 65 lbs or more.

yes it is and thank you thats what i was trying to say but i was in my "smart phone" and i was hitting all kinds of diffrent things lol

MarcusOReallyus

who needs emergency brakes you have an auto trans
  1. There's no such thing as an "emergency brake".
  2. It's a PARKING brake.
  3. It's designed for PARKING, not emergencies.
  4. Yes, it can be used in emergencies, but it's not intended for that.
  5. The auto trans locking mechanism is a backup; it's not intended to hold the vehicle by itself.
  6. If you depend on the auto trans to hold the vehicle, one of these days you may find yourself wondering why your vehicle is at the bottom of the hill when you distinctly remember parking it halfway up.
I used to debate this with a mechanic friend of mine. (I'll call him Dan.) He was absolutely convinced that nobody ever needed to use the parking brake. He said the trans was built to hold the car just fine.

One day I dropped by the shop where Dan worked. Somehow the subject came up again, and he said he'd prove it to me. So he takes me over to see their trans rebuilder (I'll call him Fred). Fred was an old-timer who did nothing but rebuild transmissions. Dan told Fred about the debate. The old guy laughed in Dan's face and told him he was an idiot. (Fred wasn't known for tact.)

Then Fred showed Dan a trans on the bench, which happened to be the same as Dan had in his family car (Ford LTD, IIRC). Fred pointed out what locks the drive train. It's just a little tab of sheet metal that engages one of the gears. That's it. Fred said all transmissions were essentially the same, and that he's rebuilt plenty of transmissions that had that little thing sheared off.

That's what some of you guys are depending on to hold your truck on a hill.

It's a parking brake. It's there for a reason.

BIG_RED

FYI You may also be required to have a working parking break in order to pass a random roadside inspection. That is how it works here.

And I have to agree 100% that the trans "park gear" on civilian class vehicles is not adequate to be used as the sole stopping mechanism on a hill. I always put my vehicles in neutral, engage the parking brake, let the vehicle "roll into the parking brake", then I put it in "park". That way there is no stress on the trans parking break and you can still take your keys out of the ignition. In the event of parking brake failure, the trans park gear may come into play as a backup.

I have never seen the inside of a commercial truck auto trans, so I cannot speak to the strength of their park "brake".

forest522

I have heard of the auto trans park setting slipping on some older vehicles. That just worries me. They should call the parking brake the worry brake. I use that thing alot. Maybe I watched too many episodes of CHiPs.

Its getting loose and rusty...will have to add that to the list of things to rebuild...
Great thread on rear disc brakes though, another one of those dream projects! Thanks.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stayed with original fluid. The rear disc brakes have been on my truck for three years now and are still performing flawlessly. The parking brake works as designed and holds the truck without any strain on the transmission. Of all the modifications and improvements I did on my M1028, in retrospect I believe the rear disc conversion ranks among the most important upgrades.

Hope this helps.

I will be attempting this as soon as I switch out my axles, rather than rebuilding the existing drum brakes on the donor axles. Thanks for the good into links on this guys.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy of DSC02373.jpgCopy of DSC02560.jpgCopy of DSC02562.jpgCopy of DSC02564.jpgCopy of DSC02571.jpg
What angle should it be at and how? bend the mount? make new link?
I explained this in detail in post #75 of my rebuild thread. There are two things that you should pay attention to - 1.)- the little dot on the valve needs to be positioned at 12:00 with no weight in the truck, and 2.)- the angle of the two actuating arms needs to be at or close to 90 degrees with no load. The dot on the valve can be adjusted by simply removing the nut and pulling the short arm off, rotating the valve to the correct position, and then reinstalling the short arm and nut. A longer arm, if needed to accommodate a lift, can easily be fabricated by picking up a piece of 1/8" x 1" steel bar stock from the hardware store and cutting it to the appropriate length and drilling new holes.

Hope this helps.