• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear flap tie down failures

warcow105

A little over a year ago I bought a 4 door conversion straight from Breton. Now 3 of the 4 tie downs for the rear flap had the spring fail and can't be tightened. Has anyone else experienced this? Seems pretty bad quality for military use parts.

Michael

DREDnot

Yes. Especially the ones that are all plastic. Brought to you by the lowest bidder...at the insistence of you the taxpayer.

Im assuming you are talking about these POS things...

DSCN0971.JPGDSCN0971.JPG

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm.... those appear to be very much alike/functioning as a “cinching tie down”. Bet you could make these work possibly .. 18DA0807-B25E-486A-8F76-9B3825FF213F.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These have been failing since GMA had the market...I think they source them, because I’ve had both style, one version is literally garbage. I had an NOS M1102 top and everyone of them broke on the first try....luckily I had a bunch of old ones
that are better, I remove them from old tops I’m throwing away.

DREDnot

Who ever designed these things was a psychopath.
Hard to use new. Need two hands to loosen when soiled. Break easily. It has more modes of failure than moving parts....which is quite an accomplishment in itself. And the strap is usually to wide to go through the stupid "thing" on the body and too short to tie off if it did fit.

Attachments

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who ever designed these things was a psychopath.
Hard to use new. Need two hands to loosen when soiled. Break easily. It has more modes of failure than moving parts....which is quite an accomplishment in itself. And the strap is usually to wide to go through the stupid "thing" on the body and too short to tie off if it did fit.
thats because the end is folded over and sewn so they don’t fall off....they fit, just have to work it, I’ve replaced many.

DREDnot

thats because the end is folded over and sewn so they don’t fall off....they fit, just have to work it, I’ve replaced many.
I was talking about if you broke a hook and didn't have a good one to replace it, you cant just use the bare strap to tie through the body loop as a field expedient

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are called Ancra Buckles. I bought a bag of NOS mil spec ones from an eBay vendor but they're so flimsy I haven't bothered to install them.
I am not aware of a source for metal versions.
Bulldogger

DREDnot

They are called Ancra Buckles. I bought a bag of NOS mil spec ones from an eBay vendor but they're so flimsy I haven't bothered to install them.
I am not aware of a source for metal versions.
Bulldogger
That makes sense. Years ago, Ancra made the best motorcycle tie down straps with that kind of tensioner lock. I still have a set thats nearly 35 years old and still in better shape than much newer knockoffs.
These buckles are a sad perversion of their good name.

Ive never seen a full metal military buckle. Just the plastic body with a metal lever (old style) and the all plastic ones with the plastic lock lever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks