• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Halfshaft to Geared Hub Leak

GMVguy

Just noticed the rear halfshaft is seeping. Fulled it up with Gear Oil but planning to take a closer look this weekend. Anyone got a suggestion for the part numbers for seals, etc. I should buy to prepare for the job?
IMG_3639.jpg

Thanks,

DatGuyC

One of the first things I did when I got my truck was replace all the hub seals. You can look for packs on ebay that come with both that top inner seal and the larger bottom outer seal for the spindle, plus the lock washer and new seals for the plugs. After you remove the half shaft I recommend tapping the seal retainer out from the outside where the half shaft bolt goes instead of trying to pry it loose where the shims are so you don't destroy the shims. For tapping the new seals in I took the new seals to home depot and found pvc pipe couplers that had about the same OD so you aren't beating on the seals directly.

GMVguy

Great advice, thanks. I'm going through the TMs now to determine the part numbers needed. Is TM 9-2320-335-13&P the best one to use?

TedG

The diff output seal is amg specific. There is also a small filler seal that goes behind the shaft nut. Use a dab of Silicon to help seal and always use lock tight on nut.
For seal installation, crimp new seal in a bit to form a taper so it goes in straight.
use new Norlock washers and new half shaft bolts to...with locktight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks