• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main Seal replaced - now more leaking

Jeepsinker

X2. No need to tear that transmission apart. And you can probably get that snap ring from any transmission shop that deals in standard transmissions, not just automatics.

Jeepsinker

Anytime man, just joined up here, and I don't have many posts, but that's only because I just decided to join a site. Lurked here for a good while though. Anytime you need a keen eye just ask. I have seen there are many excellent members here just like myself and I'm proud to be a part of this. Seems that people can always get the help they need here.

bigbird1

Was the Input bearing loose or bad? it looks like something got some play and let the shaft rub on the oil groves inside the release bearing tube/housing. Those groves keep the oil inside the trans , make sure they didn't get ate up, or you will be doing it again . good luck

borky51

I have the same problem with my deuce I tried the sealer and had know luck , I will have to replace the seal, I think it is the rear main seal I have never replaced a seal how long did it take and what problems should I expect. Thanks Borky51

mjtracy

Borky, this was my first trans pull and rear seal replacement. Took me about four hours to pull trans first time, and about an hour and a half this time. After removing propeller shaft, put trans in first. Give you some room to pull back trans as you remove it. Lots of great help here, use it!

mjtracy

Borky. Oh, and RTF-TM (read the f***ing tech manual!) One of the reasons I love this truck is because of the available tech manuals. The sections for removing trans, clutch and pressure plate, and flywheel are spot on

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Borky, this was my first trans pull and rear seal replacement. Took me about four hours to pull trans first time, and about an hour and a half this time. After removing propeller shaft, put trans in first. Give you some room to pull back trans as you remove it. Lots of great help here, use it!
remove top cover of trans before removal from truck. 300% easier to pull trans then.

mjtracy

Just wanted to complete this thread. I replaced the worn clutch pilot bushing, and the damaged input bearing retainer / shaft sleeve, and no more leaks. Thank you for all of your help, especially m-35Tom.