• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear tire is hitting leaf spring on sharp turns

ajt53

What else could cause axle alignment issues outside of bad torque arms?
I recently acquired a M35a2 that had a snapped passenger rear torque arm. The prior owner was driving it around with the a tow strap holding the side of rear axle that had the snapped torque arm. I thought this probably damaged the other arm so I went a head and replaced both rear torque arms with brand new one from boyce following the TM procedure. After the replacement everything was aligned and I took it for a test drive. I know the axles are designed to float and move around, but when I turn my rear tires are actually rubbing against the leaf springs (see attached pictures). It feels like I have another problem I need to address. Does anyone have any tips on where to look next or have you experienced a similar problem?

Thanks for the help!
Andrew

Attachments

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may just be the camera angle but the upper one looks bent also. I would get the truck on a flat surface and realign everything and probably do the rest of the dogbones and possibly new u-bolts also.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This guy found the axle bent:

V8srfun

The springs keep the axle from drifting side to side more than the dogbones do. If it was not for the springs you would just rip the rubber right out of the bushings when loaded and turning. Granted if you have bent or damaged dogbones fix them but you may find bent springs or a bent axle.
Don’t forget to also check the trunnions for play as they could cause similar symptoms.

ajt53

Thanks all for the quick reply's. This is a slow an steady kind of project, but I'll make sure to post the results on what I find after trying some of these suggestions. Hopefully in the will have results in the next 2 months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks