• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear tire removal help

johnknp1

I have a m35a2 with the original duallies on it. I went to go for a drive, so as always i checked my brake fluid. This time is was empty... So i crawled under and found a puddle of brake fluid under driver side middle tires. I ordered a wheel cylinder and figured id get the truck ready for when it arrives. So i broke torq on the lugnuts and then jacked it up and put it on a block... I went to remove lugnuts the rest of the way and it turns out the shaft itself is turning, not the nut. I thought ok, that will work too, but at some point they all got hard to turn again and dont seem to be coming out any further. I know im an idiot for not knowing how this works, but i stopped and figured id post on here so some one can get a laugh and maybe help while i look through TMs. I didnt want strip or break the posts so ima let it be till i have more info. Ive never had the rear tires off, only the fronts. Do i simply keep cranking? Or is this the wrong way to get the rear tires off?

FloridaAKM

Isn't there a lugnut on the outer wheel & a bud stud on the inner holding the tire on? I forget the terms for some reason, but it seems that you have initially broken the lug nuts loose & now broken the budnuts away from the drum & locked them against the backside of the outer wheel.

I have one to do, but just put it on the back burner till the skeeters thin out!

The experts will be along shortly to agree or wonder how I own 2 Deuces.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't there a lugnut on the outer wheel & a bud stud on the inner holding the tire on? I forget the terms for some reason, but it seems that you have initially broken the lug nuts loose & now broken the budnuts away from the drum & locked them against the backside of the outer wheel.

I have one to do, but just put it on the back burner till the skeeters thin out!

The experts will be along shortly to agree or wonder how I own 2 Deuces.
Yep 1 1/2 lugnut on the outer wheel and 13/16 thimble on the inner wheel , they a
re also right and left hand threads depending on which side of the truck it is.

Last edited:

fasttruck

You put the outer wheel on the ground lock ring side down with a block of wood under it. Hopefully you have an impact wrench for this, turn in thimble, one part with the square head, in the direction to tighten it. If the wheel was on the passengers side this would be clockwise. The thimble will come out on the bottom because the block will create enough space for it to fall through. Hopefully you have not damaged the threads on the stud in the brake drum. Put never seize on all threads of you hope to get this apart again.

Attachments

MG2936

You put the outer wheel on the ground lock ring side down with a block of wood under it. Hopefully you have an impact wrench for this, turn in thimble, one part with the square head, in the direction to tighten it. If the wheel was on the passengers side this would be clockwise. The thimble will come out on the bottom because the block will create enough space for it to fall through. Hopefully you have not damaged the threads on the stud in the brake drum. Put never seize on all threads of you hope to get this apart again.
most torque specs are for dry threads. If you oil them reduce the torque by 10%. If you use anti-seize reduce the torque by 30%. Sounds like a large reduction but on smaller bolts there is a chance of twisting them off. I use anti-seize on my truck, I have had them on and off many times and they have never come loose because of the 30% reduction in torque.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks