• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goal for today:
Loosening the old brake discs from the wheel hub
My wife say be as carefully you can, a new wheel hub will be expensive....
i am always careful, aren't i ... 😇
the simple usual measures to solve it do not work. Invasive measures are needed now.
I may find some damage here that requires replacement anyway. So far there is nothing yet but the project already had several hidden surprises in store

I don't think I need to say that I didn't have any problems with the brakes or the wheels before. Everything that can be seen there now simply comes from standing, even if in a well-ventilated and dry hall. We see, that alone does not protect against the ravages of time

20220108_130639zu.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife can sleep peacefully again, the brake discs are down. One I could still solve with a hammer, the other I have very very very carefully cut down with the flex. Heat from a welding torch as an also common method I wanted to avoid.

IMG-20220115-WA0006[1].jpg

IMG-20220115-WA0005[1].jpg

The universal joints are also gone after 35 years. There of course also still the first...
Like the break disc also the same side needed to flex, nevertheless they was still rotating

IMG-20220115-WA0039[1].jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again proof that on the surface you can't see how deep the rust goes. The rust scars clearly show how strong the wear is ultimately. How good that pretty much everything on the truck is built particularly massive

20211224_111854zu.jpg

20220118_052551 (2).jpg

Rubber-Garbage

IMG-20220117-WA0000 (2).jpg

IMG-20220118-WA0001 (3).jpg

IMG-20220118-WA0002 (2).jpg

This attachment sat under the radiator which had become leaky due to the standing time.

IMG-20220118-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A kingdom for a 1.5/16 nut......

In all of Germany neither online nor in the store available. I did not expect to find one in stock, but that there is no assured delivery time is really annoying. Even brands like Gedore and Hazet do not give a delivery promise. Now my local tool supplier is trying to get one from KS Tools. Estimated delivery time 5 days. Really now? Too good to be true. I will believe it only when I hold them in my hands. The last order sent a 15/16 nut.... It is clearly an advantage who can hear and read well. Ok we are all only human and mistakes can happen. I have also been waiting 3 weeks for this order from my local tool supplier. I have been trying since 23 December to purchase a seemingly exotic and rare piece of tool.... :mad: Unfortunately, it does not work without a suitable tool. Sometimes you can help yourself, but a nut (front axle pinion nut) that has never been solved you will hardly be able to solve with a makeshift tool.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A kingdom for a 1.5/16 nut......

In all of Germany neither online nor in the store available. I did not expect to find one in stock, but that there is no assured delivery time is really annoying. Even brands like Gedore and Hazet do not give a delivery promise. Now my local tool supplier is trying to get one from KS Tools. Estimated delivery time 5 days. Really now? Too good to be true. I will believe it only when I hold them in my hands. The last order sent a 15/16 nut.... It is clearly an advantage who can hear and read well. Ok we are all only human and mistakes can happen. I have also been waiting 3 weeks for this order from my local tool supplier. I have been trying since 23 December to purchase a seemingly exotic and rare piece of tool.... :mad: Unfortunately, it does not work without a suitable tool. Sometimes you can help yourself, but a nut (front axle pinion nut) that has never been solved you will hardly be able to solve with a makeshift tool.
Sad but true...

These days everyone expects most things in a day or two. I can still remember the days of old when you ordered something out of California - shipping to North Carolina - 3000 miles away and it took a couple of weeks?

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad but true...

These days everyone expects most things in a day or two. I can still remember the days of old when you ordered something out of California - shipping to North Carolina - 3000 miles away and it took a couple of weeks?
And you usually got the right parts and the box was not damaged and some parts missing! :)

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have expressed myself incorrectly and hope that i do better now.

From a German manufacturer who has this tool in the offer, I expect a delivery capacity or better a note that currently delivery difficulties exist. It is not about the shipping time. My tool supplier was promised 2-3 days delivery time, from the 4th day daily a new message with delay of another day was called. Already alone such a way of acting annoys me. This is now a common practice so that you do not choose another supplier who delivers faster, but usually companies like Gedore or Hazet do not belong to this. Of course, no tool dealer puts something in stock which is hardly in demand and i also don't expect that. For this, there is the possibility of ordering from the manufacturer he leads in the assortment. I expect the truth about the delivery time but this is also something that was common in the past and is hardly practiced today. Our shipping companies are very different locally. A company in the south of Germany may be good but the same supplier can be unreliable in the north. if I have a choice, I naturally choose the one that is most reliable.

The fact that this nut is not available from any manufacturer throughout Germany is, however unusual and i think about corona and the size.
It is what it is, I just have to wait. There is still enough other things to do.
But you are right about one thing, we are spoiled because we have never known any real restriction. Corona is now teaching us what our parents tried to teach us: an abundant life is not a given.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are now starting to assemble the frame. The frame and all individual parts of the frame are protected with an epoxy primer from the marine construction (thanks to Rutjes for his helpful advice) After assembly, it is prepared for primer and painting "2K Black 383".
We replace all nuts and bolts of the attachments with stainless steel nuts an bolts of the same strengthen if they was available.
For me it is selfevident to use an agent to prevent "gall / selfweld" of stainless steel fastener as i use it in my job every day and so i forget to mention this here if anyone think to do the same. Dive Dive remember me on that issue and i think i should share this valuable info and edit the post.

I know that some have also painted the frame in Green 383. The original color on ours was black. To get it back on the wheels, parts like the spring assemblies are still missing. They are on their way, unfortunately the journey takes time.

20220121_134655[1].jpg

20220122_132020.jpg

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To much sources and TMs can also give a big confusion... :unsure:

During assembling frame did i used the CUCV Parts and illustration catalogue and of course my own documentation by pictures and notes
What was happen?
I got a a picture for the front assemblies on the frame where it shows a reinforcement plate from the catalogue.
As i can`t remember to disconnect such or sandblasted i felt unsure and look around the shop if i forget something 😇;).
At home we checked all our pictures and documentation.
What shall i say, we don`t find it in our documenations neither anywhere else such a part.
Is it from the Blazer-Frame? or another version from the CUCV?
Can someone enlighten me so that I do not die stupidly :)

Reinforcement Bumper front.jpg

Front Bumber assembly.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front axle you will be the next! 🥳
I am beginning to trust the trade again, there are still few that deliver what they promise.

20220124_143553 (3).jpg

cucvrus

To much sources and TMs can also give a big confusion... :unsure:

During assembling frame did i used the CUCV Parts and illustration catalogue and of course my own documentation by pictures and notes
What was happen?
I got a a picture for the front assemblies on the frame where it shows a reinforcement plate from the catalogue.
As i can`t remember to disconnect such or sandblasted i felt unsure and look around the shop if i forget something 😇;).
At home we checked all our pictures and documentation.
What shall i say, we don`t find it in our documenations neither anywhere else such a part.
Is it from the Blazer-Frame? or another version from the CUCV?
Can someone enlighten me so that I do not die stupidly :)

View attachment 856824

View attachment 856825
Do you need that reinforcement?

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you need that reinforcement?
Oh sorry forget to report here and thanks for asking you are a real supporter 🍻
The reinforcement never left us
They going to sandblasting and to primer
It seems i was operationally blind that i not notice them
They stay in the frame as the are pretty got piveted.
We descided not to open any perfect pivot - i know that this be done from people
I saved the calculation for the screw size because riveted joints should not somehow be replaced with a screw.

20220127_162548 (2).jpg

on the front diff was this cap - does you know what this numbers said
I guess something about the diff-translation ?

20220129_103612 (2).jpg

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh sorry forget to report here and thanks for asking you are a real supporter 🍻
The reinforcement never left us
They going to sandblasting and to primer
It seems i was operationally blind that i not notice them
They stay in the frame as the are pretty got piveted.
We descided not to open any perfect pivot - i know that this be done from people
I saved the calculation for the screw size because riveted joints should not somehow be replaced with a screw.

View attachment 857329

on the front diff was this cap - does you know what this numbers said
I guess something about the diff-translation ?

View attachment 857331
It’s the number of teeth on the ring gear and pinion, resulting in a 4.56 ratio.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As we never will have so an easy access we gone with the endocam through the cab cavities.
All looks fine like

IMG_0004.JPG

just this appear on the passenger side

IMG_0011.JPG

will be opened and build up before it rebound outside

Inked20211120_143444_LI.jpg

it is in the middle between the both edges which was already done in 2014

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few new facts about our rebuild:

From looking at what is defective and renewing it has now become a complete rebuild. And if we are already so far we will also take technical improvements that are not immediately visible and thus of course move away from the pure original.
Our goal is an optically nearly original looking truck with improved technology and a roadspeed without beeing an obstacle. Unfortunately you need to bring the old engine always near stress limit as i know now just by going through the normal roadtraffic. I have to stay behind any truck with road limit on 80 km/h on highways and if you want overtaking them.... So the aim is to reach a cruising speed around 120 km/h out of coming in a stress limit of the engine.

The Classic Car registration (H-approaved) we are aiming for is dead the moment we install a new engine that does not match the original. Many discussions with that issue with the authority of approval bring no other result. This means exactly every Optimizer Engine will lead to exclusion. The moment we want to disregard this registration any upgrade is possible which is allowed by the German TÜV. For who not now that authoroty: it control any technical equipment in Germany about safety in case of the Truck -> Motor vehicles tested for technology and road safety and approved for road use.
We have in germany a difference between Trucks and for example Blazer/Surburban. This both are SUV and will be declare on annual tax by the engine size. A truck will declare on annual tax by comlete weight on the truck. In our case 3,5 to - the truck is decreased from 3,9 to 3,5 load as above 3,5 you had to use a tachograph and you have annual technical tests on the road safety not more all 2 years. If you own a Blazer or Surburban with an old 6.2 Diesel Engine than you pay annual 2036 Euro just as it is not a truck.... than the H-Registration of that old engine give you an annual tax of 192 Euro for any classic car no matter if it is a truck, a motorbike or a sportcar. The gasoline engine 5,7l is annual tax on an old SUV with 1200 Euro. So all want to reach that classic car registration usually to safe money on the taxes.
Our aim on that Classic Car-Registration was only that you have no restriction on environments zones in Germany. Also our daily drivers (diesel) from 2007 and 2014 are not allow to drive in environment zones if we have an ozon alert.

The engine we ordered from the dealer was unfortunately not a GEP but a GM 141 and is now back to the seller. There was no problem in that as it was a clear order for a GEP engine not older than 2002 and a wrong deliver. I am glad that we did not take the complete package with installation, otherwise the wrong engine would have been installed and it would have been much more time-consuming to undo it.

20211222_191931.jpg

Since we don't want to waste any more time with any combinations of old and new we will now buy a new engine. Then we can choose exactly the combination that is right for us and finally after renew all wearing parts we have a new Truck in front of us.

About AMGeneral I got a list of all suppliers, so that a new purchase is no problem. A little bit more difficult is the implementation for the road approval. The big German US car tuners I contacted gave up these conversions on CUCVs because hardly any customer is willing to pay the effort especially in the truck area. For a Corvette it looks different, but for a 35 year old ordinary military truck.... well there a some less crazy people like us who spent a lot money on that what could also costs a new truck. Only someone who is as crazy as we are understands why money doesn't matter anymore as long as you can afford it and don't ruin yourself.

For this reason, the road approval is now also finished and we have no more time pressure.

I am waiting for a statement from an expert AMGenerel from Sweden regarding the conversion to another engine. Here in Germany I have to prove that the vehicle is designed for the engine power i want use. He told us he can help in that issue.

I received the following reply from the TÜV head office as a summery:

In principle, when modifying the engine of a vehicle first registered in 1984, it is necessary to prove that the vehicle complies with the regulations in terms of rated power, maximum design speed, noise emissions, braking system, chassis and body strength.
The evidence relating to the braking system, maximum speed, chassis and body strength could possibly be provided by means of the maximum power variant installed as standard.
A driving and stationary noise measurement must be carried out in any case.

If the vehicle is H-approved, special requirements for the contemporary conversion of the vehicle must still be observed.

So now we will see in what we end up
More HP could result in some improvement on Brakes and frame.

Some talks before ordering are finally necessary

1. Choosing an engine
2. Checking if the HP is in the above declared parameters with/without upgrades
3. Talking to the TÜV Examiner with a finally statement of approve that choice
4. Buying the engine
5. Built in
6. Got the road approval

Would i go out of that way it can be that we not got the approval
The German TÜV is very bureaucratic but if it is asked beforehand and you talk about it you usually get an approval.
The worst way is to install an engine and drive up without technical documentation with only a performance certificate from the engine test bench. Then you have already lost and wasted a lot of money.
Unfortunately, the whole thing is very time consuming so that I do not expect in 2022 to have the truck back on the road. On the other hand a year is long ....

It has never been cheap to build something special

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
😞 that was not what i had promised my wife but the only way to finish with peace and quality

20220131_131020 (2).jpg

he will be back

Phoenix = bird Truck (which has become a symbol of immortality) that burns itself and rises from the ashes rejuvenated

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevrolet has withdrawn from new car sales in Germany... I wouldn't have expected that now. I had contact first Chevrolet USA but for the TÜV info I should contact Chevrolet Germany. There I am called the local Opel / Chevrolet partner as a contact.

I have to leave that to my wife, because I can not handle so much incompetence in this dealership from the local chevrolet shop. In the first contact I was told that the M1008 is not Chevy and the VIN is not valid. K30 never heared from.... maybe Silverado - oh yes that did we know but this is not the right VIN and Type aua
What do I expect from an Opel dealer who wears the Chevrolet logo only as a decoration on the dealership.

My wife is going to give it another try this week. She says that you can't come to such people with logic or facts, you have to let their behavior work for you and make your goals their ideas. She works professionally with difficult people ... and she will no longer ask about the performance of an engine but will specifically call the engine. That's how she got the certificate for the TÜV for the engine conversion of the G20 through Chevrolet Germany in 2003. However, this then binds us to this Engine type. We would rather have the HP Limit to choose any engine in that limits what would fit.
If local dealer will deny, than Chevrolet Germany will be adressed by post as they don`t react on phone or mail. If Chevrolet Germany not react than Chevrolet USA is the last in the line of requests but Chevrolet USA referred us to Chevrolet Germany in the first inquiry and they referred us to the local dealer. I feel like I am in a hamster wheel

I want just something like that, important the first sentence:
"We hereby confirm for submission to a technical inspection authority (TÜV/DEKRA) that we have no technical concerns about installing a 5.7 l V8 engine in the above-mentioned vehicle."
The magic words for an uncomplicated transaction

Motorumbau 1.jpg

This is always not a general certification as it is bound on the vehicles VIN.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still waiting on GM Germany reply and unforetunately also on spareparts
So we go on with the drumbrakes
Also if we not sure that they will stay is it necessary to take some care of it.

After blasting they are still going in the CNC department for turning. Turning disc brakes is not worth it at the low price of new. With the drum brakes, it looks a little different. Checking diameter allows a turning off, i am sure it is first time on it.

IMG-20220201-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220201-WA0001.jpg

20220205_094427.jpg

IMG-20220208-WA0000 (2).jpg

IMG-20220208-WA0001 (2).jpg

Beside this i got information about the Crossover-steering as a solution for a better steering behaviour.
Correct me if i am wrong in that case.
Is there any solution if i don`t want lift the truck but got the profit of such a system?
All i got until now is i have to lift or stay with the original.

The swedisch AM G Supplier advice me the GEP Optimizer Marine :unsure: he said the other GEP will fail but didn`t explain more of it. Maybe he don`t notice that i plan also the transmission swap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks