• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I have learned that having extra parts
Kingpin Replacement can be easy with the right tool.
I am in the lucky situation that my employer borrow me tools if i need them.

View attachment 863464

View attachment 863465

720 Nm no problem

View attachment 863466

View attachment 863467

it was really time to replace...

View attachment 863468

View attachment 863470

We couldnt finished job as a friend called us. He was stranded at the train station in Osnabrück 85 km far away due to a train disruption. So we stop our work and pick him up there.

But one thing was finished - the wheels- ready for mount

View attachment 863472

Shit happens blinky Tire valves .... 😂 i guess my wife will paint them as she hate any blinky or most worse case chrome

On Dana 60 front axles depending on use, it is good to keep extra pairs of nylon bushings in der werkzeugkasten. On my daily driven D30 K30 trucks I change out the bushings every few years. Bushings are cheaper than rubber. And finding the bushings are getting harder every year.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have learned that having extra parts
On Dana 60 front axles depending on use, it is good to keep extra pairs of nylon bushings in der werkzeugkasten. On my daily driven D30 K30 trucks I change out the bushings every few years. Bushings are cheaper than rubber. And finding the bushings are getting harder every year.
We changed first time after 125000 Miles but was driven only roads no offroad, no lift and no other extras. But the steering and driving behaviour was at the point of storage bad. So we had done this better some "Miles" before. The result is he got now all bushing, bearings, nuts and bolts, rubberparts around new with a complete rebuild from the bottom to the roof.
About the nylon bushings we thought about this => https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rei-d60200k
If the nylons will not hold we will do it again with bronze bushings

And yes it will be in future more than more difficult to got parts. We should not forget they are now about 35 years old. The most european manufactors save only spareparts for 20 years ... Fortunately the squarebodys was a favorite Truck so that the interest in aftermarket and OEM Parts is big enough to hold the parts. I was suprised to find a good sorted market for new parts.
Our Volvos 945 goes to scrap finally of no more save spareparts. There was our daily driver and must run, no time to wait weeks to got spareparts, maybe only used... which are not better as the exiting ones as of same age!

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on brake lines: Chevrolet is worse than ikeabana = swedish furniture plug art.... good that everything has truck dimensions, because the fumbling is still manageable. My wife has used the time and prepared the tanks for painting

20220508_113412.jpg

20220508_125640.jpg

the aftermarket Tankholder is maybe something what other will not use, but i prefer them before i use original in rusty and weak condition.
I need less than 30 min to customize them. I needed only to weld nuts on the correct positions. Fit like made for it, thats not usual for aftermarket products

20220508_114630za.jpg.

20220508_111127z.jpg

Next weekend will be again a painting weekend ...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Working on brake lines: Chevrolet is worse than ikeabana = swedish furniture plug art.... good that everything has truck dimensions, because the fumbling is still manageable. My wife has used the time and prepared the tanks for painting

View attachment 867061

View attachment 867067

the aftermarket Tankholder is maybe something what other will not use, but i prefer them before i use original in rusty and weak condition.
I need less than 30 min to customize them. I needed only to weld nuts on the correct positions. Fit like made for it, thats not usual for aftermarket products

View attachment 867065.

View attachment 867066

Next weekend will be again a painting weekend ...
Good forward progress for sure!

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both Tanks on their place, the easiest job in the tankissue.

20220515_104115.jpg

another job this weekend as we need a safe transportation for the old engine:

20220515_125548 (2).jpg

build from scrap iron --- saved me 100 Dollar 🥳 🍻 for more spareparts on the truck

20220515_154339 (2).jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Both Tanks on their place, the easiest job in the tankissue.

View attachment 867705

another job this weekend as we need a safe transportation for the old engine:

View attachment 867706

build from scrap iron --- saved me 100 Dollar 🥳 🍻 for more spareparts on the truck

View attachment 867708
The tanks look nice and ready for plumbing.

That engine stand is a good plan.
Everything tucked in tight and bolted in place...
If you are going to drive somewhere, a longer piece of steel bolted through your already existing bolt holes will make it more stable. Especially if you have to make a turn into a rough driveway.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mullany you are right - Safety first.
It is build of 4 mm angle and flat steel will be bolt on the palett and fixed with tension belts. The German police are not amused by neglected load secure, for which, how could it be otherwise existing detailed special laws - Ladungssicherung in Deutschland. Many easteuropean Trucker are pulles out of traffic and are not allowed to continue driving until the load has been secured. You got an expensive money penaltry and you can lost as german your driving license dependent on the danger and your traffic account of infringements.
Loading secure was as i made 40 years ago my trucklicense not such a big issue like today. But i got a lot of training of this during my service in THW Technisches Hilfswerk

GKW I 03.jpg

07072008(002).jpg

Ladekran 10.JPG

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Mullany you are right - Safety first.
It is build of 4 mm angle and flat steel will be bolt on the palett and fixed with tension belts. The German police are not amused by neglected load secure, for which, how could it be otherwise existing detailed special laws. Many easteuropean Trucker are pulles out of traffic and are not allowed to continue driving until the load has been secured. You got an expensive money penaltry and you can lost as german your driving license dependent on the danger and your traffic account of infringements.
Loading secure was as i made 40 years ago my trucklicense not such a big issue like today. But i got a lot of training of this during my service in THW Technisches Hilfswerk

View attachment 867826

View attachment 867827

View attachment 867828
Nice! I really like the trucks. There is definitely something to be said for securing a load properly. I am sure there are better or more inclusive guides but the attached PDF is for securing machine shop equipment. There must be one for trailers and trucks...

Attachments

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! I really like the trucks. There is definitely something to be said for securing a load properly. I am sure there are better or more inclusive guides but the attached PDF is for securing machine shop equipment. There must be one for trailers and trucks...
We had several trainings in the past also what happen during drive and load slip or break through. This was always best expierence for people who think load safety is enough with a little wire on an edge

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didnt hear my wife so much curse in 35 years than this weekend by removing the old paint...
The bad first work of the painter does he cover with a lot of filler

20220522_123748.jpg

Paint the NP208 for me was an easy job - still not dry paint as we leave the shop

20220522_140323.jpg

The old engine is also fixed for Transport

IMG-20220520-WA0010t.jpeg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont find a hole but i knew they must have rust behind.
In 2003 had i welded the cabcorner first time on the driversite - so i spent him two new cabcorners to be save on it

20220528_142242.jpg

20220528_142031.jpg

i had make sense to do that

20220528_143043.jpg

right site not in better condition

20220528_125233.jpg

20220530_090655.jpg

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang that is neat. Even removed the fender tubs to really do that bed right.
I sure hope that you get some real enjoyment out of that truck!
She is going to be as nice as if it was fresh off the assembly line...
You cant name it rebuild if you not do the whole job...
Be sure we curse a lot during the job and ask ourselves more than one time if we still go the right path! But at the end will there be a unique truck which no where else exists another one.

Sure for the money we spent on it will we got finally a new Truck in USA but this one would be one under a lot of others....

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife can sleep well again, her nightmare about the filler-door for the tank on the passenger side has found an end today

View attachment 869452

View attachment 869451

View attachment 869450

thanks to sharecropper for his detailed explanation in his building thread
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/kinda-got-carried-away-m1028-rebuild.54469/post-2362340

now the cargo box just needed prepare for painting
When you go to mount the inner fuel neck housing you will need to modify the right side of the housing in order for the door hinge to clear. You will also need to drill a new 9/32" hole in the sheet metal in order to mount the housing to the fender. See attached. Hope this helps.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks