• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent MEP 802A report

BrendanB

yeah its a pretty old trick. I like to keep it to my self so I can buy old tractor and motorcycle for cheap and have them free and running before the sun goes down!
Turbo if you do want to sell that canister housing pm me I'd love to make a deal

10Lugger

I bypassed the secondary with a combo of 1/4 push lock hose and brass barbed tees. Is not a fix it was just to get it running untill I can track down a housing. And if any one knows where I could get one that would be great! I guess il let my hillbilly trick out of the bag, I start with alcohol in the cyl and crank case to pull the moister out, then drain it and suck/ use a blow gun to get it out of the cyl ( I pulled the exhaust manifold and valve covers so I could push the valves open) then I put I combo of pb blaster and Atf fluid. The ATF has alot of detergent and oils in it and would work on its own but I use the pb blaster for extra help. let that stuff sit in the cyl for a couple hours then crank it back and forth by hand and see how you made out. may sound simple but it works! Iv got alot of motors free that had been frozen for years.
sorry im a little long winded

Thanks for the info. I would like to get mine fired off today.

ETN550

Anyone know where I could find rebuild kits for the DN2M engine on a MEP-802a genset? Searched everywhere but no luck

Thanks
They are Lister Petter LPW and parts are everywhere. go on line and search for Lister Petter LPW. did a head gasket job and had parts in 2 days.

ETN550

I bypassed the secondary with a combo of 1/4 push lock hose and brass barbed tees. Is not a fix it was just to get it running untill I can track down a housing. And if any one knows where I could get one that would be great! I guess il let my hillbilly trick out of the bag, I start with alcohol in the cyl and crank case to pull the moister out, then drain it and suck/ use a blow gun to get it out of the cyl ( I pulled the exhaust manifold and valve covers so I could push the valves open) then I put I combo of pb blaster and Atf fluid. The ATF has alot of detergent and oils in it and would work on its own but I use the pb blaster for extra help. let that stuff sit in the cyl for a couple hours then crank it back and forth by hand and see how you made out. may sound simple but it works! Iv got alot of motors free that had been frozen for years.
sorry im a little long winded
That's a Lister Petter LPW part that comes on all of their engines. Any of the Lister Petter dealers that are on line can get it for you. The Lister Petter engine is LPW2. The lister and onan are 100% parts interchangable.

avc8130

yeah its a pretty old trick. I like to keep it to my self so I can buy old tractor and motorcycle for cheap and have them free and running before the sun goes down!
Turbo if you do want to sell that canister housing pm me I'd love to make a deal
Well, we didn't get as lucky with the 1st set we tried to start. Same issue, water in the exhaust. Filled the rear cylinder. A milky mess came out of the oil drain...after about 3 quarts of water. We sucked what we could from the exhaust and then proceeded to ATF the cylinder.

This is where things aren't looking good. The motor would spin very nicely, and then jam up. So, we tried the other way. Spins very nicely, jam. Same spot, both ways.

Pulled the injectors out hoping to release any cylinder pressure. Same thing.

Pulled the rockers off to take the valve train from the equation. Same thing.

This isn't cool because this was actually the BEST looking set we picked up. Very low hours, all bolts were installed. Everything LOOKED great, but there was no exhaust flapper (like just about ALL of them).

The fear now is that the exhaust flapper was gone long before GL ever touched it and GI Joe tried to start the motor after it was already wet from no exhaust flapper.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

ac

BrendanB

sounds like you have a rust line high in the cyl I would pull the head and see if you can hone it just enough to get the rust out and see if there is any heavy pitting when your done I would also cut the valves in b4 u put it back together bc in sure they have rust on the seats. I hope it works out for you

avc8130

sounds like you have a rust line high in the cyl I would pull the head and see if you can hone it just enough to get the rust out and see if there is any heavy pitting when your done I would also cut the valves in b4 u put it back together bc in sure they have rust on the seats. I hope it works out for you
That's actually a better report than what I was thinking...

"running condition unkown". LOL. How about "running condition unknown, motor full of water".

ac

ETN550

Agree. And pulling the head is not too bad. Lister Petter sells a top end reseal or "decarbon" kit as they call it for about $75. It includes everything needed including the waterpump seals and gaskets.

avc8130

Agree. And pulling the head is not too bad. Lister Petter sells a top end reseal or "decarbon" kit as they call it for about $75. It includes everything needed including the waterpump seals and gaskets.
That's pretty reasonable. I was hesitating on pulling the head for exactly that reason. It looked like a lot of gaskets that could add up fast.

ac

serial14

This is all excellent information. I'm still waiting to receive my generator from this auction.

I've read a lot about people talking about the head gasket. Is there is a good method to determine if it needs to be replaced with out tearing down the engine? Though, it sounds like it might just be a descent idea to pull the head just to check out the engine condition due to the exhaust flapper issue.

With regards to the exhaust flapper issue. What is a descent check list to figure out the true condition of a unit? In reading other posts, some people go straight to pulling manifolds. Others start with cleaning solutions, others with draining the block, and others still that decide to do a full inspection on the engine.

Given my normal tendancies of being logical and straight forward and all of the information coming out about the recent MEP802s I was planning on a full inspection before trying to start the thing. But it seems like there is good reason to really do a good job.

avc8130

You need to open the oil drain to start. You will get 2-4 quarts of water.

Then you need to pull the manifolds to get out whatever water you can. Then you need to pull the injectors to be able to put some lube or solution in the cylinder.

Then you need to try to crank the engine over by hand.

Good luck. I can't believe how crappy the condition of everything I saw was.

ac

This is all excellent information. I'm still waiting to receive my generator from this auction.

I've read a lot about people talking about the head gasket. Is there is a good method to determine if it needs to be replaced with out tearing down the engine? Though, it sounds like it might just be a descent idea to pull the head just to check out the engine condition due to the exhaust flapper issue.

With regards to the exhaust flapper issue. What is a descent check list to figure out the true condition of a unit? In reading other posts, some people go straight to pulling manifolds. Others start with cleaning solutions, others with draining the block, and others still that decide to do a full inspection on the engine.

Given my normal tendancies of being logical and straight forward and all of the information coming out about the recent MEP802s I was planning on a full inspection before trying to start the thing. But it seems like there is good reason to really do a good job.

10Lugger

After my research on this forum before and after our purchase, I was confident there would be no total loss in the gamble. The first thing I did was grab the fan blade and give it a check for movement. The engine turned, so I had no worries of a seize up. Had it been locked, I would have went to the ATF plan. If that didn't break things free. I would have taken the head off, and or pulled the engine for a refreshment. I can attest that the parts availability and info for these Lister Petter LPW2 is great. I was able to look up parts at the LP web site, and the wife placed the order, for some reasonably priced items that I wanted to have on hand. Good luck to you.

avc8130

After my research on this forum before and after our purchase, I was confident there would be no total loss in the gamble. The first thing I did was grab the fan blade and give it a check for movement. The engine turned, so I had no worries of a seize up. Had it been locked, I would have went to the ATF plan. If that didn't break things free. I would have taken the head off, and or pulled the engine for a refreshment. I can attest that the parts availability and info for these Lister Petter LPW2 is great. I was able to look up parts at the LP web site, and the wife placed the order, for some reasonably priced items that I wanted to have on hand. Good luck to you.
Yeah...I'm not concerned about the one we got that is locked up, I can get the parts for the motor readily and affordable enough. Unfortunately the unit LOOKED great in the pics and have <100 hours so we paid a bit of a premium.

The one that was on fire and looks like a bad gen side is even more hurtful. I'm not sure how to "fix" that, or where to get a replacement. That unit had 58 hours on it and was the priciest we bought.

VERY disappointed.

ac

serial14

Well I'm just like the rest of the group. Pictures looked great, all the information available seemed favorable. I even went back and re-looked at the pictures of my winning lot and they still look good. I'll just have to see what I get when it shows up.

The news on their actual condition doesn't disappoint me too much. Seems like with some TLC is all it takes. It would have been nice to have a turn key experience, but projects are fun too. I'm convinced that I have more fun fixing and tinkering on my various projects than when I'm actually using them.

I'll be sure to add my findings to the thread.

BradBMI

I notice the pics usually don't show burned out generator stators or damage isn't shown. You find out when you pick it up. Just like a present at xmas from the grinch... But the last few of these gens we just broke down and rebuilt them. If you have the time to do it you wont have surprises later. One of them we found nuts and bolts placed in the exhaust. Good thing we didnt try to start that one

10Lugger

Yeah...I'm not concerned about the one we got that is locked up, I can get the parts for the motor readily and affordable enough. Unfortunately the unit LOOKED great in the pics and have <100 hours so we paid a bit of a premium.

The one that was on fire and looks like a bad gen side is even more hurtful. I'm not sure how to "fix" that, or where to get a replacement. That unit had 58 hours on it and was the priciest we bought.

VERY disappointed.

ac

Well, that truly is a disappointment. My ace in the hole, was the non availability of all the other parts of the GEN. If our unit turned out to be a dud, striping and selling would have been next. Parting things out, is often better then one would think (if they have the patients).

BrendanB

sounds like everyone is having the same experience. Even though I have had mine running I placed a order for a top end gasket kit and pistons rings. The last thing i want to hear from the girl freind is I bought a peice of junk when the power goes out! Lol

max bowtie

This has been a learning experience, to say the least. Thank you all for your input. I was bidding on some of those units but was outbid on all of them. On top of that it was my first time bidding on GL. I had another post asking about how the exhaust was piped because I was concerned about the exhaust flap missing and how easy it would be for water to work its way into the engine. Thank you all for the input!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks