• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recent MEP 802A report

10Lugger

I wished they had another lot coming up for sale. I have a good runner and this site for reference, plus a good parts unit. I would like a project unit to fix up at a good price. No complaints here.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I followed a lot of the pointers others gave here about closely looking at the pictures for hints of problems, scavaging, incomplete repairs, exhaust flap etc.
I won a unit during the 3/17 auction at Ft Meade. Drove down & picked it up on 3/24.
Engine was dry with no water in the cylinders or crankcase. Turned over smoothly by hand.
Included unused aux fuel hose with adapters, TM users manual & lubrication order.
Issues found:
- Missing 1 battery tie down rod. No biggie.
- Broken Master Switch, knew that when I bid on it. Ordered the one from Ebay, dropped it in, perfect fit.
- Radiator petcock broken off the radiator. Fixed by soldering a copper patch over the hole.
Put in 3 new Wix filters, fresh fuel, coolant, engine oil and a pair of new group 51 batteries.
Cross fingers and started to crank it. Found two fuel leaks. :???:
One injector return hose was cracked right where it makes the tight bend from the injector to the return rail. Second leak was the fuel return hose to the tank. It was cracked where it is attached to the return fitting on the tank. Both easy fix's.

Crossed fingers a second time and cranked it again. Presto it sprang to life and runs beautifully. :-D
Adjusted the frequency and verified the output voltages. All gauges and controls work perfectly!

Last edited:

dependable

Just got my 802 going, I lucked out and it did not have many problems. The sheet metal was all pretty abused, but inside it looked good. It took quite a bit of priming and some cranking to bring fuel up into injectors.

The sheet metal, exhaust flap and such make a lot of the noise, sorting them out and securing will be pretty easy and worth while.

Vibrates as much as an 002, I guess this is the nature of 2 cyl diesels. Pretty quiet compared to 002, although my 002 with ASK and external muffler is similar.

After I got it running, a large brown spider came out, of a kind I have never seen before, made me feel good about having been reaching around inside the generator for the last couple days.

If you want to secure exhaust from water, the outlet under the flap is 1.25NPT(national pipe thread), (just like the outlets on the 002s and 003s) Just pick up a cap at the plumbing store and screw on between uses.

For the $12k the govt spent on these, the battery hold downs are cheep and kind of annoying. And you do need them or the batteries will bounce to death.

Last edited:

rnewscates

I got one from the recent Ft Meade event for about $800 with 1,000 hours on a rebuild at some point. I had to take it apart anyway to get it into my shed, so I was taking apart the engine and knew I was in trouble when water came out of the muffler when I loosened the bolts for it - long story short there was water in the cylinders, fortunately the pistons were far down so I used a lot of PB Blaster including underneath and with oil honed the cylinders, after a while I was able to get the pistons to the top of the bore. To actually remove the piston I had to drill and tap a hole in the crown of each piston for a stud (8mm - 1.25 works) and then use spacers on the block and a bridge piece over the stud and tighten a nut on the stud to literally pull the pistons out (the far piston was the hardest). Then I had it made, I just needed to properly hone the cylinders, plug the piston stud holes, replace rings and big end bearings, gaskets etc, grind the valves - I have saved this $6,000 engine for less than $200 in parts (readily available from Lister Petter, it is an LPW2 engine). I am already reassembling the engine ready to install in my shed. To move the rest of the generator around I drilled holes in the base skid for rigid casters at the controls end, then I can easily pick up the other end (sheet metal and radiator removed) and move it like a wheelbarrow. It's a lot of screws for putting back the sheetmetal but overall this is a great unit and I think it was a bargain and a good project indeed. It served in Afganistan at Kandahar. I even know why it was taken out of service - the exhaust ports were almost completely full of carbon, so it would be down on power. Then the exhaust was left uncovered and rain water got in as it sat, then I got it at auction. It is replacing an Onan DJE 6KW diesel generator- this is way newer and a much superior engine by far (three main bearings, water cooled etc). So keep trying at auctions! Bob Scates, Springfield, VA

CDR

I got one from the recent Ft Meade event for about $800 with 1,000 hours on a rebuild at some point. I had to take it apart anyway to get it into my shed, so I was taking apart the engine and knew I was in trouble when water came out of the muffler when I loosened the bolts for it - long story short there was water in the cylinders, fortunately the pistons were far down so I used a lot of PB Blaster including underneath and with oil honed the cylinders, after a while I was able to get the pistons to the top of the bore. To actually remove the piston I had to drill and tap a hole in the crown of each piston for a stud (8mm - 1.25 works) and then use spacers on the block and a bridge piece over the stud and tighten a nut on the stud to literally pull the pistons out (the far piston was the hardest). Then I had it made, I just needed to properly hone the cylinders, plug the piston stud holes, replace rings and big end bearings, gaskets etc, grind the valves - I have saved this $6,000 engine for less than $200 in parts (readily available from Lister Petter, it is an LPW2 engine). I am already reassembling the engine ready to install in my shed. To move the rest of the generator around I drilled holes in the base skid for rigid casters at the controls end, then I can easily pick up the other end (sheet metal and radiator removed) and move it like a wheelbarrow. It's a lot of screws for putting back the sheetmetal but overall this is a great unit and I think it was a bargain and a good project indeed. It served in Afganistan at Kandahar. I even know why it was taken out of service - the exhaust ports were almost completely full of carbon, so it would be down on power. Then the exhaust was left uncovered and rain water got in as it sat, then I got it at auction. It is replacing an Onan DJE 6KW diesel generator- this is way newer and a much superior engine by far (three main bearings, water cooled etc). So keep trying at auctions! Bob Scates, Springfield, VA
Sounds like you're having a similar adventure to what I've been through your very brave the drill holes in the top of the pistons and weld them back up though. There's 1,000,001 reasons i would've advised against this but sounds like yours is working. It's definitely fun for project. Still when I sit down and think about the time and money I put into this silly thing it's ridiculous.

rnewscates

Sounds like you're having a similar adventure to what I've been through your very brave the drill holes in the top of the pistons and weld them back up though. There's 1,000,001 reasons i would've advised against this but sounds like yours is working. It's definitely fun for project. Still when I sit down and think about the time and money I put into this silly thing it's ridiculous.
Did yours have water in it too? I think the parts cost is reasonable, and I did all the work myself so I think it was worthwhile. I have finished the head, and the shortblock is done, I even have oil pressure, so I just need to get the engine parts and generator parts to my shed and assemble them near the base and move it into place, so I hope to start it up in a week or so. Bob Springfield, VA

CDR

Did yours have water in it too? I think the parts cost is reasonable, and I did all the work myself so I think it was worthwhile. I have finished the head, and the shortblock is done, I even have oil pressure, so I just need to get the engine parts and generator parts to my shed and assemble them near the base and move it into place, so I hope to start it up in a week or so. Bob Springfield, VA
Mine had water in it too I was lucky enough to fill the cylinders with oil and get it to turn over. I have several electrical issues now as well at a oil pressure relief valve stuck my oil pressure cold is 200psi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks