• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommendations for a fairly long drive

jacklegjim

Some issues I had to take care of on my M1008 when I got it. Starter bolts broke off, my starter fell of a few days after I got the truck. I am glad it was in my driveway.
The plugs on the head lights bulbs were corroded and the lights worked intermittently. I cleaned them and put some electrical grease on them. The injector return hoses were leaking I had to replace them. Windshield wiper motor needed some work. Be prepaired for possible Death Wobble.
These are common problems with these trucks and I would add these to your list off things to check before the trip. Mine had not modified any but I don't think the PO had maintain it at all.

hoplite666

All the usual tool and fluids. Be sure there is a spare and jack/wrench. HEARING PROTECTION. Trust me on that one. I drove my m1009 650 miles home, no issues. But hearing protection would have been nice.
I'd suggest a long, thorough test drive. Check the fluids, Change them if need be and hit the road. Minimal stops. Keep the motor running. You really only need one stop for fuel. Check the fluids again and go. That'd be the only time Id shut the engine down.

Skinny

Agreed

I would hesitate to shut down unless absolutely necessary until you know the batts, starter, GP's, etc. are in good working order.

Hasdrubal

Hearing protection in a M1009? Really..its like you're talking about a Duece. Granted I have a civvy intake muffler on mine, might be a little quieter, but never seen anyone up here who wore ear protection. No, i am not deaf.

CUCVLOVER

As long as everything in working order I would run it. just take lots of tools ie ratchet set, bottle jack, 1/2 in drive battery impact with sockets for changing tires, if you can you could take a couple tire and wheels with you just incase you have multiple flats, wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, and electrical tape and duct tape, super glue, rope, welding wire great for lots of things and also electrical supplies. Some gear incase you get stuck way out in the middle of nowhere ie food, water, blankets, clothing, buddy heater (leave a window cracked) small battery fan. Cash is a must and if you can a helper is great. Some safety gear such as reflective vest, gloves, reflective triangles, flares, glowsticks, and a couple of good flash lights and a head light eye protection incase you are trying to fix a issue where a chemical might be under pressure or you are under the truck because falling oil or dirt is a bummer when in the eye balls.
if you want you could hook up a oil pressure gauge to the oil test valve next to the coolent over flow that way you know if you oil pump goes so hopefully you don't wreck your motor.

good luck with the recovery.:driver:2cents:jumpin:

Last edited:

Artisan

Jack
Lug Nut Wrench
Spare
Tire Pressure Gauge
Telephone numbers for tow companies in case of bad things happening.
A FULL complement of tools.
THE TECHNICAL MANUALS on a flash drive or in your IPAD etc. (#1 most needed item)
Towel for water leaks.
Warm clothes in case heater is inop.
Tele numbers of help along the way.
GPS
The knowledge on what to look for before you drive an unknown vehicle that
may have been in theater and possibly abused.

Before you hit the road home POUR OVER IT while
close to or at an auto parts store. Check EVERY oil level
and I mean EVERY!

AECS

I took a full assortment of hand tools, belts, filters, 20 gallons of fuel, oil, trans fluid, DOT 5 brake fluid, jack, spare tire on my 1900 mile trek from CA to TN. But I had owned the truck a year and had all the bugs worked out. I even towed my Elantra behind it the whole way. It was slow with the 3.08 gears and 33 inch tires, but the 1009 will be a great vehicle given the proper love.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you guys are more brave than me. I'd write the check and have it delivered!

I would also add ear plugs to the list. I made it about 250 miles before mine started to bleed. Best 99 cents I ever spent on the old girl.
I agree with Skinny. I would contact Dependable Auto Shippers http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
866-298-4221
and have the truck delivered to my driveway. This way you do not have to worry about anything going wrong. You can play with your truck within a few blocks from home and make improvements and repairs and still sleep in your own bed.

Hope this helps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of good suggestions here. If you follow all of them you will need a trailer LOL. It's a little late for this but consider AAA. When I dropped out of deuces and went all CUCV, I picked up the premier membership. I get 3 100 miles tows and one 200 mile tow. That is cheap insurance to get one out of harms way. The other is an IR thermometer. Super handy for all kinds of roadside diagnostics. Walmart sells a Schumacher jump box that sets you back a C note. It does the usual jump start but also has 2 12V ports, a USP port, inverter with 2 plugs, blower and compressor. The compressor is best left for lawn tractor or bike tires but the rest is a Godsend.

CUCVLOVER

That jump box is great I have one and its awesome. I've cranked up a few V-twin engines countless times. A diesel engine in a skid steer who knows how many times (the alt is out) and several outboard engines a 318 dodge, big block Chevy, a cucv and some start I'm sure I forgot about. The compresser will enflat a 33 or a 31 in tire I have had to do it but it does take awhile.

Vexiis

Wow, thank you everyone for the responses. I am still going through them all and putting together my list for assembly tonight.
Since someone asked, it will be from Albuquerque to Los Angeles, so weather shouldn't be an issue if the forecasts are right.

I think the two big failures that worry me most are the belts breaking or a radiator hose bursting, it seems to me as long as I do the trip in basically two hops I only have to worry about the system starting up fine once at the halfway point.
I have AAA (just the normal one unfortunately). It is tough because I am debating shipping it for ~$800 or driving it back; the likelyhood of something bad happening seems pretty low, but at the same time if it does it could be really expensive just to get unstuck.

tim292stro

About 800miles? Sounds like about $125-160 in fuel, $100 for a motel, plus about 4-5 meals (roughly $50). That's estimated at $275-310 before problems. Flat tire with bad spare can set you back $100, tow which puts you up overnight will cost you a motel room in addition to repairs.

If you have not personally inspected/test-driven this vehicle you may arrive and find descriptions to be variable. This is why you see the recommendation for a truck delivery outside of your Premier Membership AAA tow of 200 miles.

$800 sounds like a steal to me for that drive (only about 2-3x the cost of the drive but without the stress and risk), just add it to the cost of the truck and call it a day. My 2cents [thumbzup]

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

good luck on your trip..After all your checks, just keep up a steady cruise at minimum throttle, take breaks, and you should be good. ost pictures keep us informed of your progress.

choll

I have traveled cross country with my 09 many times. Never had any major problems but the things that did go wrong I had the spare parts for. The oddest thing was an oil cooler line, big mess, I had just changed them less than 30 days before. Kept the old ones for spares changed it at a rest stop. Its not a drive it's an adventure going on road trip with these things.

the skull

I talked my auto insurance agent and his brother into picking
mine up and delivering it to my work. It cost me $60 in fuel
and lunch at Bob Evans ($50?).
Maybe 180 mile round trip. Popped a brake line loading the
M1008 on the trailer. Probably the best money I ever spent.
Don't let me discourage you. But if I get another one, I know
how I'm getting it home.

Vexiis

Well just an update for everyone. I went and test drove the truck, it drove great and was in nice condition but after everything we decided to ship it (my wife felt a lot better about that too).
So I should get it in a week or two once we coordinate things. Thank you to everyone for the advice and recommendations, it really was and will be helpful.

Pretty soon I should be a part of the cucv club, I can't wait.