• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommendations for exhaust replacement

HelluvaEngineer

The exhaust in my m1009 is rotted out. Based on a little research here and on the interwebz, it looks like a K5 small block manifold-back kit will match perfectly. So, first, is this true? Secondly, any modern preferences? My local Maaco has a 3 star review so I'm considering DIY since I have a MIG welder.

Example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-89007/overview/year/1984/make/chevrolet/model/k5-blazer

Better to go this route or look for a quality shop with a tubing bender? Thanks!

cucvrus

I have new dual exhaust front to back put on an M1009. It costs about $450-$500. That is drop it off and pick it up. Two years ago I dropped off Terminus and had 2 1/2" run the full length. M1028 run about the same. They hold up well. One and only 1 time. I had Stainless put on my M1009. $650. It is 2" the full length. It works fine but was $600. Been on 17 years so that comes out to be an inexpensive repair in reality.

HelluvaEngineer

Thanks. That gives me a price point for a custom job, which is exactly what I needed. Not sure I'll pay extra for stainless. We don't have to contend with road salt down here like you do up there.

PeeWeeQ

I just replaced both mufflers on mine. I'm in school, making half of what I did a year-and-a-half ago, so, I'm on a serious budget. I went with the cheap one from Advanced Auto Parts. It's not what I WANT to do, but, it is a fix for now and it took a sawsall, 2 muffler clamps, a hanger, and 20 minutes for each side. I measured, cut, and put it up...I would imagine I'm looking at a front to back rebuild pretty soon as well, but, for right now, the mufflers were the sore spots...[thumbzup]

As I said, I know it's not ideal (particularly living here in the salty midwest), but, it depends what your goals and budget are like. Right now, I just gotta get through the next few years to a more permanent solution...
muffler.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks