• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommendations for exhaust replacement

HelluvaEngineer

The exhaust in my m1009 is rotted out. Based on a little research here and on the interwebz, it looks like a K5 small block manifold-back kit will match perfectly. So, first, is this true? Secondly, any modern preferences? My local Maaco has a 3 star review so I'm considering DIY since I have a MIG welder.

Example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-89007/overview/year/1984/make/chevrolet/model/k5-blazer

Better to go this route or look for a quality shop with a tubing bender? Thanks!

cucvrus

I have new dual exhaust front to back put on an M1009. It costs about $450-$500. That is drop it off and pick it up. Two years ago I dropped off Terminus and had 2 1/2" run the full length. M1028 run about the same. They hold up well. One and only 1 time. I had Stainless put on my M1009. $650. It is 2" the full length. It works fine but was $600. Been on 17 years so that comes out to be an inexpensive repair in reality.

HelluvaEngineer

Thanks. That gives me a price point for a custom job, which is exactly what I needed. Not sure I'll pay extra for stainless. We don't have to contend with road salt down here like you do up there.

PeeWeeQ

I just replaced both mufflers on mine. I'm in school, making half of what I did a year-and-a-half ago, so, I'm on a serious budget. I went with the cheap one from Advanced Auto Parts. It's not what I WANT to do, but, it is a fix for now and it took a sawsall, 2 muffler clamps, a hanger, and 20 minutes for each side. I measured, cut, and put it up...I would imagine I'm looking at a front to back rebuild pretty soon as well, but, for right now, the mufflers were the sore spots...[thumbzup]

As I said, I know it's not ideal (particularly living here in the salty midwest), but, it depends what your goals and budget are like. Right now, I just gotta get through the next few years to a more permanent solution...
muffler.jpg

Last edited: