• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering m1009 out of ohio tomorrow, may need help

greenjeepster

Okay so I bought a m1009 off of gsa and have to pick it up tomorrow. I rented a uhaul trailer but am worried that it will not fit on it when I get up there. How wide are these trucks outside to outside of tire? I have read that they are 79 inches but I went and measured the uhaul and it is 75 inches... I ran a search and there are plenty of threads talking about people moving them on Uhauls.... I hope this works, it is a 4 hr trip up there for me.

Anybody want to go along for a ride? Anybody have a trailer I could beg barrow or steel between Lexington KY and jeffersonville oh? My tow vehicle is a 32 ft RV with a triton V10 so no problems in the pulling dept, just need a big enough trailer or a good towbar.

salt6

I recovered mine from GSA. Just make sure you get the older silver deck trailer. Oh be prepared to fix flats, and take a key. You can get the key info to have one cut at a chevy dealer from the CUCV faq.

Foprgot to say, I talked to a U-haul rep on the phone and told him what I wanted and he got it for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

cleb

I hauled a M1009 with a 2002 1/2ton GMC Sierra using a mil towbar. The CUCV was missing an engine, the seller put the 6.2l in the bed of the Sierra for us to put in later. It towed like a dream, even when we had to get up to 75mph. Brakes were a little less than ideal, just take it slow and easy. I later tried to get my M1009 on a dolly, and it was about 3 inches too wide :/.