• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery advice

NewWheeler

Once the EUC clears, I plan on trying to drive the M35A2C I won at Red River Army Depot home. I've read about what to bring on the recovery but I'm concerned about not being able to start the truck. If I can't get her running can I tow her with a tow stap for the 5 miles or so I'd need to at least get her off base? All I'll have is a 1/2 ton truck and a tow strap. My main concern is, will I be able to stop her with out air for the brakes? That is... stop her with out sacrificing the tailgate of the Silverado.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have seen this type of crazy thing done in texas on the highway. I don't think I would try it for anything but the shortest of distances in an emergency. It is air assisted braking, so someone in the truck with a strong leg can work the brakes. Very iffy though. Borrow a tow bar is my suggestion, or plan on getting a proper tow.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a half ton and if I had to I would tow it across my driveway but I value both trucks more than that and I don't even have my Deuce yet.

I'm thinking tailgate, bumper, bed and frame for starters.

I know my Hemi will pull the Deuce but I'm not crazy (I am but not for this).

Take a couple of new batteries with you OR take them out and charge them one at a time on the 1/2 ton for a while if you have to. Of course that implies that they let you do it for the time required. ;-)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
My opinion, FWIW,

After I won my first trucks, before I attempted the recovery, I bought a medium tow bar, 20' slave cable, and stocked up on everything in the "great list"
All in all about 800.00 or so....

It was a VERY good investment.

Don't try to do a recovery "on the cheap" you might get away with it, but what happens if you don't?

Lane (Citizensoldier) can't always keep Murphy busy.... ;)

NewWheeler

Well...that pretty much covers the tow strap idea... If I were able to use a towbar I'd still need a much bigger truck, correct. Is using the strap to pull start the truck any less foolish?

cleb

I would borrow, beg or steal a towbar. Or have a company tow/haul it for those 5 miles. I would avoid the tow strap. Not sure on the brakes, but I don't think they work so well without air pressure. Bring everything possible that you might need to get it running. Full filter set, fresh diesel, containers to drop the bad fuel and other fluids into, batteries, air compressor (to blow junk out of fuel lines, fill tires) etc. I was prepared for the worst when I went to get my truck, but after fresh batteries she fired right up. I had every fluid imaginable, but only needed a smidge of brake fluid. Also take throttle return springs. Mine was rusted and broke on the way home (getting onto the interstate). Good luck!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without a tow bar moving is absolutely nuts. I would tow 5 miles with a half ton if I had everything else.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be bar, lights, chase vehicle ect. (just to clarify) 5 miles is pushing it. :shock:

El_Guapo

If the truck is fine in _all other ways_ except both batteries then pull starting is not a problem. You can pull start a deuce in less than 60 feet. If one battery works just jump it with your truck. Of course fabing a fixed width towbar out of square tubing and a trailer hitch is cheap, easy and recommended.

ida34

Pull starting with a strap is only a couple of hundred feet or so. Five miles is something else. Don't do it. Get the truck running if you have to but don't pull it with a strap. You asked for opinions and it seems you got some. Take the advise, please.

LibertyDeuce

During my recovery at Ft Sam Houston, I hired a tow company to tow my new deuce 15 miles and was charges $173.00. Money well spent for a piece of mind if your not sure about the condition of the brakes!

if you can rent or buy a gasoline air compresser to check the brakes first . it's something you will need when working on these trucks any way .

renovate7

I just tested my brakes to make sure the air over was working. I opened a gladhand on the back of the truck and let all the air pressure out. I got up to 20 mph and STOOD on the brake pedal. I don't think they had any effect and I just rolled to a stop. If anyone wonders about driving a truck with no air go to a controlled area and try what I just did. It may really open your eyes.

beaubeau

Little knowledge and Risk!

:grd: The first thing you should find out is the condition of the truck. Have U seen it? How far are U from the site? Get a friend and look it over. U can pull start these trucks with little effort. Sometimes I pull a truck 10 feet and it will start. Or I may have to pull it 40 ft. If the lot is large and fairly level, no problem. Use the Emergency brake to stop, if necessary. Be sure it works first. I put the trans in 3rd gear Hi range to pull start. Give it a 5 second shot of Starter fluid into the air cleaner before U try to start, even if U use the Starter. It makes things go easier and quicker. Be sure to check all fluids and belts. U can also bring new batteries and u can start it that way. But remember, the batteries in the truck may be perfect! They may take a good charge just by running the truck for 45minutes.
I have been around trucks and heavy equipment all my life, so I am familiar with how to do things, and also what can happen when things go wrong.If U r new, get to know the truck and be careful, and don,t give up. Dont hesitate to ask questions, I shall be helpful!, Good luck, Phil :driver:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting the truck is one thing, stopping 13,500# worth of speeding metal is quite another... Get the thing towed him by a professional and there are no worries about killing anyone...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Its not clear from your posting how far you are from the base - it seems five miles. If you actually just live five miles from the base - TODAY start reading all the manuals, beginning with brake maintenance. If it takes six ten minute drives to prep the truck for a safe drive - so what?

As the old adage goes, "if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to do it over again?".

I'd not attempt to tow a deuce with a half-ton pickup on a public road regardless of towbar arrangement - I value my life, and that of the other motorists - more than that. As you are around your truck more, you'll respect it and its (lethal) potential more. I once was behind the wheel (but not at fault) of a deuce as it totally demolished a full-sized van, at 20-30 MPH - with a slight bend to the bumper and some scratched paint. Van was totalled - only by God's grace were there not injuries/fatalities.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks