• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery problems.

TexAndy

So I went to pick up a deuce at fort sam today and it would crank but not start. I put two new commercial batts in that I KNOW work, because I ran them in another deuce the day before. They're fully charged and fresh.

The fuel filters are getting fuel.

Someone suggested trying to bleed the injectors, so I climbed up there and felt the nuts for the lines running from the injector pump to the injectors and they were all either finger tight or not even that.

I didn't know how tight they needed to be, so I finger tightened them all and had someone else crank while I loosened the rearmost injector. Two, 15 second cranks yielded nothing. No fuel came out.

We were running out of time at that point and couldn't think of anything else to try.

Any ideas?

Could the IP be dead? If so, how do I diagnose that? I didn't want to go loosening nuts without knowing what I was doing.

Do the injectors all need to be tightened further? How tight?

Do they need to be bled in a certain order?

If the IP is dead, could I take the IP out of one of my running trucks and swap it out at the yard? If so, what do I do then? Just a full injector bleed job?

The engine looks like it was overhauled. Good paint, good interior hood paint, the engine oil is full and CLEAN...

I got the EUC back yesterday at 5PM and I went up there today about 8AM, but still... the site manager has it in for me, I think. He told me I'd better have it out of there by Thursday. :-(

Any ideas ya'll could throw at me would be most appreciated.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off you are dealing with fluid pressures up around 1500 PSI in some cases on the injectors. Whatever you do, don't mess around with that stuff while someone is cranking the engine...oil injection under the skin is very serious and can be deadly, at the very least you could loose a finger (amputated due to infection)

Someone with more experience will chime in to help out, but I can tell you that the injector nuts will need to be more than finger tight.

I'm not sure about what to look for, but I have read about it several times...maybe someone can post up what to look for and where to look for it...but your stopper rod could be stuck in the shut-off position. That will keep you from getting fuel to the injectors.

ARYankee

Speddmon has a point. Check your cut off and make sure its still not engaged. I've had one stick a wee bid on my deuce.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Someone suggested trying to bleed the injectors, so I climbed up there and felt the nuts for the lines running from the injector pump to the injectors and they were all either finger tight or not even that.

Could the IP be dead? If so, how do I diagnose that? I didn't want to go loosening nuts without knowing what I was doing.

I got the EUC back yesterday at 5PM and I went up there today about 8AM, but still... the site manager has it in for me, I think. He told me I'd better have it out of there by Thursday. :-(

Any ideas ya'll could throw at me would be most appreciated.

If the lines were loose, I'm gonna bet the IP crapped out, and someone before you had the same idea. . .

If all else fails, swap out the IP head.

Call GL HQ and tell them that the yard manager is giving you a hard time and that you understood you had 14 business days from EUC approval to remove your lot.

Good luck,
Ed

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blood_of_Tyrants said:
You can simply refuse the truck on the grounds of a dead engine
That's a new one for me too! Especially if the auction stated "running condition unknown"

TexAndy

Well, they did hit the bumper AND put some serious dings in the oil pan between when I inspected it and today.

I'm guessing they hit it with a forklift and the teeth hit the oil pan. Hopefully the pump or whatever is in there to send oil to the engine isn't damaged...

I might try to make a claim on that, just to recover enough for the cost of a new (used) oil pan, but not the whole truck

TexAndy

Speddmon has a point. Check your cut off and make sure its still not engaged. I've had one stick a wee bid on my deuce.

I didn't even think to look.

However, if the fuel shut off valve link was stuck in the off position, would fuel still be sent to the filters? Fuel is getting sent to the filters when I turn on the accessory switch.

What exactly is the fuel shut off valve linked to? Man, I wish I'd thought to play with the fuel shut off link valve. I hope that's all the problem is.

The only place I've been able to find a new IP is on TNJ murray... and they want more for just that one part than I paid for the whole dang truck!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got another running deuce, borrow a tow bar and just tow it home.

AceHigh

However, if the fuel shut off valve link was stuck in the off position, would fuel still be sent to the filters? Fuel is getting sent to the filters when I turn on the accessory switch.

What exactly is the fuel shut off valve linked to? Man, I wish I'd thought to play with the fuel shut off link valve. I hope that's all the problem is.
Fuel will go to the filters. I had that on my truck. Spent a whole day troubleshooting till I looked in the shutoff cover and saw the problem. Good news is it cost nothing to fix!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah Tex, the in-tank pump is what gets the fuel to the filters...the IP head is just supposed to pressurize the fuel so you get good atomization at the injectors. Unless you are one of the many running without the in-tank pump, then a good IP will suck the fuel from the tank as long as there is no air in the system.

Also, find out how tight those injector line nuts need to be.

As to what the fuel shut-off is linked to, you'll need someone else to chime in on that one. I have no first hand knowledge of the IP head, only reading (I hope to never have to have the need for first hand knowledge of it either).

TexAndy

If you've got another running deuce, borrow a tow bar and just tow it home.

That's plan B. And another steel soldier is willing to let me borrow his tow bar, but I need the feet for it.

Also, I'm not sure if fort sam will let me on base with my untitled/unregistered deuce. Maybe I should shave, get a brown T shirt, and try the casual method of reentry. :wink:

I'd rather not resort to this, as I've NEVER towed a deuce with another deuce. Nor do I have much experience towing anything with anything. Er, and I don't want to end up in the stockade.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I'm not sure if fort sam will let me on base with my untitled/unregistered deuce.
Why would you even consider such a plan? Uninsured as well I assume?

Pay someone to go get it for you.

That's the safe way.