• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery strap/tow strap

F18hornetM

I know this post is about straps, but I am kind of partial to the winch for something really stuck. Slow and steady without snatching the crap out of something. Although I've seen a winch pull truck parts off as well.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure it's a strap that stretches. DO NOT use rigging straps. They are rigid, just like a chain. The beauty of the snatchin' strap is their ability to stretch and store energy, allowing more force to extract a stuck vehicle. Make sure to use secure mounting points. Above all, BE SAFE.
Stretchy straps..... Are you all talking about Kinetic Energy Recovery Ropes (KERR)? These were designed for military use for armoured vehicles only... Due to the EXPLOSIVE nature of failures - be it shackles, attatchment points or the rope it's self. These quickly found their way into the civi fourwheeling environment and have resulted in many injuries/fatalities.

Correct technique is for the recovering vehicle to speed away from casualty untill it stalls out - grab the brake and clutch (unless auto) then wait. The accelerated energy is stored and then works against the recovering vehicles brakes which overcomes the casualties resistance to move it's self.

Trying this with a non KERR will cause a shock load and then things break. Tugging with solid/non stretchy straps is safe enough if only a little slack; 6 - 12" is used and only go forward slowly increasing the speed of each try untill you reach your own pucker factor - KNOW WHEN TO QUIT.

If you think a strap will be big enough.... double it's size for safety. Triple check all anchor points for possible failure and 'missile' potential. Remembering windshields and rear curtains are no match for 2 lbs of steel doing 60+ mph.

Another usefull hint is that a sunken or lower-than-you casualty should be 'lifted' at the same time - transfer of weight off of the connection end (normally front) of said casualty to the adjacent hookup end (typically - rear) on the recovery vehicle, by keeping the recovery vehicle as close as possible/strap or chain as short as possible.

No one has mentioned a rigid hookup using a tow pole (half of a towbar) or a towbar... this will convert your two vehicles from a stuck 6x0 + 6x6 to a 12xsome!

Snatching can be done with this - if the two vehicles are NOT aligned (Only with a pole - not full towbar). The tangent that the direction of the recovery vehicle initially pulls in will 'gently' become the direction that the casualty needs to go, without a sudden jolt.

Safety first people! Good luck.

Another Ahab

Just make sure it's a strap that stretches. DO NOT use rigging straps. They are rigid, just like a chain. The beauty of the snatchin' strap is their ability to stretch and store energy, allowing more force to extract a stuck vehicle. Make sure to use secure mounting points. Above all, BE SAFE.
Synthetic line (rope/strap) comes in two qualities: Static and Dynamic.

Static line (rigging strap) does NOT stretch. Dynamic line (kinetic energy recovery rope) however does stretch (and is designed/intended to do so).

Failure of a Static line is non-dramatic: the line parts and each end drops in place (+/-).

Failure of a Dynamic line in contrast, is dramatic: the line parts and each end then recoils back towards its original length (at rest). And anything in the way of that recoil will be "disrupted".

I hope this doesn't contribute to any confusion; it's meant as clarification. For the record, these are the distinctions between Static and Dynamic line.

Last edited:

TehTDK

Here its encouraged to only use tow straps for towing. Tow rope here is basically a rope made up by a lot of strands of elastic cord giving it strength but also flexibility to handle a shock load which it will be starting and stopping. IMO you should NEVER be using ratcheting straps or rigid straps for towing, they should only be used for recovery etc.... with NO shock loading at best. And yes someone is now going to say that you shouldn't be using ratcheting straps for recovery, and no they aren't exactly intended for it, but as long as you stay inside their SWL specs you should be fine...

ie the ratcheting straps I have holds around 8K pounds of loads ratcheting, but can also pull 2K in a tow/recovery.

Hainebd

There is great information here. Use common sense and do not go where you will get stuck. That is my motto now. Pulling wheels to do brakes, bearings and seals every week ( off roared on the weekend) is a thing of my past.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is strapman.com. I have been well pleased with his products over the years. For my deuce it was a 6" 60,000# strap or nothing.

Aerialfred

I know this post is about straps, but I am kind of partial to the winch for something really stuck. Slow and steady without snatching the crap out of something. Although I've seen a winch pull truck parts off as well.
At this time I do not have a winch. I have had the deuce about 3 months and due to other circumstances, I am just now able to get in and out of it and have driven it a little. Love it! Now I am gathering parts to install my RT-246 and an intercom to try and save some hearing! Also, just starting to study for my ham license so I can use the green radio! Installed an RT-524 in the 151a1 last week.

TehTDK

Ebay, about $80.00 for 30'
I would ONLY use these for recovering something, and not for towing. The jerking of the rope that is bound to happen when towing etc will break those kinds of straps sooner or later since they are not designed for it. But each to your own.

If the winch is pulling parts off the truck then I would call that OE (Operator Error). If you use the designated winching points you should be pretty safe in regards to recovery the vehicle without pulling parts off. But if you fix the winch line to the bumper of a car and use the bumper to recover the car then yes you risk pulling the bumper off :)

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Congratulations on the truck. Growing up on the beach here have used ropes /straps a ton. I have several ropes that work very well and a lot of things you pull out aren't really stuck that bad...hopefully!!!!
Short story, We are building my youngest son a house and I was on the property by myself. I had our crew cab 4x4 superduty [service body] with 18' equipment trailer on it. Well I though I could make it around that pile of stone and not get in the bean field.. WRONG. My father lives next door but he wasn't home and the boys were working. So I called my wife and about 10 minutes later she showed up with the M931. Hooked a chain to the front of the super duty and off she went. Of course didn't need to snatch as M931 weighs lots more and was on dry ground. And...nothing like a blonde driving a military tractor... :driver:

Aerialfred

Congratulations on the truck. Growing up on the beach here have used ropes /straps a ton. I have several ropes that work very well and a lot of things you pull out aren't really stuck that bad...hopefully!!!!
Short story, We are building my youngest son a house and I was on the property by myself. I had our crew cab 4x4 superduty [service body] with 18' equipment trailer on it. Well I though I could make it around that pile of stone and not get in the bean field.. WRONG. My father lives next door but he wasn't home and the boys were working. So I called my wife and about 10 minutes later she showed up with the M931. Hooked a chain to the front of the super duty and off she went. Of course didn't need to snatch as M931 weighs lots more and was on dry ground. And...nothing like a blonde driving a military tractor... :driver:
Congratulations!

jw4x4

My suggestion is strapman.com. I have been well pleased with his products over the years. For my deuce it was a 6" 60,000# strap or nothing.
And your 6" still resides proudly in my Trucktor. We definitely know how to use these correctly. 30 plus years of experience, various weights and sizes.

Rural King has 6" straps for under $100.

Last edited:

F18hornetM

[
If the winch is pulling parts off the truck then I would call that OE (Operator Error). If you use the designated winching points you should be pretty safe in regards to recovery the vehicle without pulling parts off. But if you fix the winch line to the bumper of a car and use the bumper to recover the car then yes you risk pulling the bumper off :)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, operator error has a lot to do with it.
Try and tell that to a bunch of linemen with 4 or 5 trucks stuck in a right of way!!! Oh I know. I got an great idea easier than winching...Lets push one with an excavator!!!!! No matter the rear tail lights pushed in and outrigger controls levers bent up. So yeah operator error could apply. But I have seen both tow hooks and even frame extensions pulled off. Roller fairleads bent etc. I've spent the last 30 years fixing this stuff. Nothing is unbreakable for sure in the right hands. ;)