• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery Time.....

ApopkaFL

Banned
Well Its 6:52pm on Monday. Getting the truck loaded and heading out to FT. Gordan Ga, I have a friend that owns a shop near Adel Ga, I hired a local trucking out fit to get my 3 Duces out the base to my friends shop, Its going to cost me 2400 to haul all three trucks. They are going to use two low boys and take them to my friends shop so I can do a PM on them. Then me and two friends will drive them from Ga to FL. Please keep in mind these are very low millage trucks.

1st truck.

1993 AM General M35A3 WO/W 6X6 2 1/2 ton cargo soft top truck powered by a 6 cyl caterpillar diesel engine, automatic transmission, 2 speed transfer case. SN.501980 odometer reads 303 miles with 138 hours of operation was driven ..

Second truck.

1993 AM General M35A3 WO/W 6X6 2 1/2 ton cargo hard top truck powered by a 6 cyl caterpillar diesel engine, automatic transmission, 2 speed transfer case. SN.501986 odometer reads 396 miles with 145 hours of operation was drive.

Third Truck..

1993 AM General M35A3 WO/W 6X6 2 1/2 ton cargo hard top truck powered by a 6 cyl caterpillar diesel engine, automatic transmission, 2 speed transfer case. SN.501960 odometer reads 1654 miles with 244 hours of operation was driven into lot.

Rodman...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you look around for trucking companies? $800 per truck seems way high for 260 miles. I had the M59 hauled from south Florida to 50 miles NW of Atlanta for less than that.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Did you look around for trucking companies? $800 per truck seems way high for 260 miles. I had the M59 hauled from south Florida to 50 miles NW of Atlanta for less than that.

The trucks are 450 miles from Adel ga to ft Gordon. they have to dead head to FT Gordon to pick them up.

Akicita

Sounds like you're equipping a private army, Apopka.

You probably would have found three volunteer drivers among the members of this group here who would have hopped into one of these trucks each and driven them home for you for less than you paid to have them trucked home. Of course, I'm presuming you're ready to license and insure the trucks.

R Racing

Its awesome he can afford 3 trucks at the same time. And even nicer he can afford to have them hauled. Although I have to say a drive away recovery does leave you smiling and makes some great memories :driver: ;-)

renovate7

Just a minor note. When my A3 wouldn't start we found it was a check valve located on top of the fuel tank that was stuck. The A3's don't have an in tank fuel pump, this valve keeps the fuel from draining back down from the engine.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Hello all, Time for a recovery update. Picked up the trucks today. Two of them have bad batteries . I am in Moultrie GA can someone direct me where I can buy 4 new ones tomorrow in this area? They jumped two of the trucks off. I thought it was awesome that they have side plugs by the passengers door. With my swift action I talk the guy on the loader to give me that set of cables. He was very nice guy. The main reason I had these trucks shipped here in Moultrie GA is because for 1. I do not kow how long these trucks have been sitting. 2. I have an investment in these trucks I did not know anything about them. I will now have them PM in the morning and check these trucks out. I plan on driving them back to FL from here.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Just found out they are 12v batterys ran in series. Also under the driver side door there is a compartment that had a lock on it. Inside I found every tool , jack, tech manual everything they send with the duce inside still in the packaging. what deal i got there. Air line to supply outside air to anything.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, you need someone local to give you a 15 minute deuce lesson and what to look for before you drive three any distance. At least they are A3's with split brake systems. You can always wait to get the batteries since you have a cable now and can jump them.[thumbzup]

ApopkaFL

Banned
Made it home with two. The other is still in GA going to haul it back on goose neck. Here is the story of the trip. Left Moultrie GA about 5:00pm, got to I 75 exit 39 stop in fuel up both trucks. Started heading south and the truck behind me started running ruff. I figured right off bat it was the fuel filter.

So we stopped at a local truck stop, some trucker helped me get two luber finer filters that fit the truck. ( He said anyway) I was not really trusting what he said but I bought them anyway. Did not change them right away cause I did not want to end up down onside the road without good filters. So drivin about 35mph all she would do tryed to wing it to nearest TA truck stop. My truck started doing the same thing so I call a friend out in Ca, he crossed the Cat filter said the filters I had would work. PUlled over change them both on the sde of the road. Luckly they primmed back up we were on the road again.

Got to Wild Wood FL 3 miles from the Exit , My truck said 1/4 of tank, it ran out of fuel. No sooner then I walk back to the second truck to tell my buddy what was wrong his truck ran out of fuel. Now 1:00am cold I walked 3 miles to the TA truck stop and bought 2 5Gal, Fuel cans filled both up with diesel started walking back. MY MY MY They were heavy to carry in the 30s so cold, I think I manage to get both cans of fuel about two miles back ( 2 1/2 hrs later) I left one started back with the one can make it easer. When I got back told my buddy put half in one truck and rest on other truck. Got my truck primed up, his truck went dead.

So I pulled my truck along side of his ( truck slanting side ways) I thought the pickup tube was on that side of the truck, while trying get his truck started my truck runs out of fuel again.

While all this happen a local State Trooper pullls up wants to know where we came from. Keep in mind no tags/ins/reg for either truck. He must of felt sorry for us, he helped up get the trucks started and got us on out way. Once I pulled into the TA truck stop to refuel my truck was smoking I smelled burnt wires, I jumped out the truck pop the hood up and the alternator was on fire. I got it out and parked the truck and left it...

I have no clue what happen, why it did this. I went back today unhooked the wires to the alternator today started her up drove her the rest of the way home. Now I have to find a new one or have that one rebuilt.

The last one is going home on a goose neck trailer tonight...

Thats my recovery story.......

Rodman