• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery

jsthnt@gmail.com

WE ARE HEADED TO WARRENTON, MO TO DO A RECOVERY ON A BOBBED DEUCE AND ARE A LIL NERVOUS. WE ARE GOING BY WAY OF SALINA OVER TO KC AND ON DOWN TO WARRENTON, MO. WE ARE HOPING WE DON'T ENCOUNTER ANY PROBLEMS ON THE WAY HOME. YES WE ARE "NEWBIES" BUT WE HAVE BEEN READING LOTS OF INFORMATIVE THREADS, LOOKING UP ANYTHING THAT WE MIGHT NEED TO KNOW, WE EVEN WENT AND DROVE ONE SO WE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT WE WERE GETTING OURSELVES INTO. WE HAVE TALKED TO A COUPLE OF GUYS FROM HERE ON STEELSOLDIERS (GLEN A.K.A. 91W350, ROSS A.K.A REB87, AND JESSE) AND THEY HAVE BEEN TREMENDOUS HELP. (I EVEN MET GLEN ON HIS RECOVERY IN SD JUST BY CHANCE OF STOPPING AT A TRUCK STOP ON MY WAY HOME) SO IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO SHARE WITH US ANYTHING (WORST CASE SENARIO) THAT WE SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR, NEED, OR GOTTA HAVES PLEASE LET US KNOW. WE WILL TAKE ANY AND ALL INFO WE CAN GET OR ANY HELP ALONG THE WAY IF NEEDED. THANKS GUYS WE APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR THREADS AND POSTS AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU.
MINDY & SHAWN:wink:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mindy and Shawn! Hope all goes well on your recovery! Be safe and get on the site if you have any problems!

Make sure you take lots of pictures (some guys on here are picture hounds) and do a good write up of your experiance so the next group of 'newbies' can read and learn. Please don't use all caps though, it makes it hard to read.

Good luck!

dragonwagon

A different view , there is no worse case . It is an adventure , view it as such and what ever happens , well its part of the adventure .

Have a good time and dont worry so much . Being " prepared " is over rated , takes all the fun out of it rofl

jsthnt@gmail.com

Lol thank you we are going to our time and yet want to be cautious as we are on a time limit for this trip and we want to make the best of our recovery. We are very excited to be getting it and have read alot of you guys' threads and posts and it really helped our decision making on getting one. We hope to be able to make some new friends and share our experiences with our deuce.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, good luck with your trip! I have a few suggestions to reduce the stress:

Perform the recovery as early in the day as possible, as a lack of light causes stress and can cause missed ques regarding possible issues and problems.

Communications between the recovered vehicle and support vehicle is really helpful. I won't say to use cell phones, but....

Keep your invoice, DL and all documents related to the sale in the truck, not the support vehicle (personal experience!)

Make frequent stops the first few miles, increasing the distance between checks of the hub temps, checks for fluid leaks, noises, underhood operations and to see if the support vehicle driver has seen anything unusual.

When stopping for checks, rests or food breaks, make sure the rig is out in the open with easy access to the highway. No need to wrestle the beast on your first trip, there will be plenty of years ahead to build muscle!

I keep notes of the things I notice along the drive for the eventual work planning of repairs and maintenance

Good luck and godspeed to you,

Rick

91W350

I took Saturday off, so I will be available for the Kansas part of your journey. I hope all goes well for you. I thought about riding along, but that would put us twice as far away from my truck if we needed it. Hopefully somebody in Missouri will chip in to give you a little more breathing room. I have not purchased a tow bar yet, so I am about to call Jeff to see if his can be on stand by. Glen

91W350

Just spoke to Jeff and he too is free Saturday. If she lays down around us, you at least have help. Hope you have a great trip! He said his tow bar is available by the way.... Glen

jsthnt@gmail.com

One are way to recover our bobbed deuce. Snowed 3 inches last night. We are supose to get more tonight. We are getting close to Kansas. Then we will push on to Salina to meet up with Glen. This is also where we are going to meet up with jesse. He has been kind enough to ride along to help out if needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure you read the many threads on stuff you need. Often overlooked is interior lighting for after dark issues or just eating a sub in the cab. I have some magnetic LED lights in my deuces and M1008 that are wonderful but one of those LED headlights is almost a must. Lots of rags and tape to plug drafty holes and extra clothes to stay warm. Good luck and enjoy the ride. Scenery is very nice at 55 MPH.

PS, 88 ° here today. This sucks that summer has arrived so early.

Last edited:

91W350

They rolled out of the Flying J here in Salina a few minutes ago. This stop gave them a host of things that could be handy and a guy who knows his way around deuces. They were really fortunate that Jesse had a free weekend and decided to roll along. I hope we do not need it, but I fueled the deuce today, topped off the rear differentials and the transfer case. The brakes, oil, transmission, coolant, front differential and air pressure were all good. The deuce is standing by, like it has been doing most of the last four decades, prepared for service. Glen

jsthnt@gmail.com

Well we are headed back towards home. We got the deuce safely n are pretty pleased. We are now at oak grove again. Deuce is running about 60 mph smoothly. Jesse has been driving it for a lil bit now and we are so glad he came with us. His knowledge and help keeping us awake was a blessing.

91W350

If you guys want to take a nap here, or spend the night, we can do that. Not the fanciest hotel around, but the price is right. You are almost back in Kansas... the long state on your journey... Glen

91W350

The Bobber is broke down on I70 in Topeka. Lost a pivot bolt out of the four link. Not sure if any of our members in that area are watching this thread, but they are trying to do a roadside repair now..... guess it did a little fishtail dance as the rear axle went out of alignment, the good news is everybody is safe. This is an issue they will have to get corrected, I cannot flat tow it for them this way either. Glen

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hopefully they are pasted me now, but I am south of I-70 between KC and Lawrence. Have M818 and tow bar if needed.

91W350

I can pick up a tow bar from Jeff and tow them with my deuce, but what has stopped them is a rear suspension failure, letting the rear axle float around. I am looking for somebody local with a trailer, I think my buddy in the crane business has a large 3 axle that he would loan me, now if it is in Kansas is another story.

jsthnt@gmail.com

Well had our first major hiccup in Topeka. Lost a nut off the lower outside 4 link. Got bolt back in now searching for a nut. Could be worse I guess. Well back to our nut finding adventure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks