• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Deuce

rebel_raider

Very interesting, but I don't think that would fly too well with the wife. That reminds me, I need to see if I can get her to take a picture with my truck for the calender thread. :-D

rebel_raider

Finally had time to work on the deuce again. Got a few more bells and whistles now. A big thanks to Tom for the troop seats and a big thanks to my boss for cutting off the bottom of his new deer stand.:D

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, at a quick glance, putting the tranny in neutral does NOT qualify as a MOD:roll:...

LOL - I'll look closer later:jumpin::)
LOL - I saw the same thing. Upon much closer observation, I think an airshift front axle switch was added just next to the heater controls.

rebel_raider

Got to work on the deuce yesterday and today again. I performed the cranetruck flasher relay mod and repaired a few other wires behind the gauge cluster. Ordered some relays from Skycraft Surplus, and some wire and connectors from Erik's. A big thanks to Tom(combst32) for the new(to me) flasher box after mine toasted out.

Pics 1-3 are the relay mod. Pic 4 is my old 5 wire instrument harness. It was very brittle and had already been repaired once with a butt splice. Pics 5-8 are a sneak peek of my next project.:D

Attachments

Last edited:

tractors0130

I've got a red truck too, or at least the front half is until I decide what color or camo sceme to paint it. It was a former fuel tanker (M49A2C) that the DNR used as a tanker truck. Someone here may recognize it from somewhere else.

Attachments

Welder Sam

Lookin good bro. Ive got quite a bit of extra stuff too. Probably anything ya need at this point. Including tires once i get more 395's mounted.

How bout some details on your weatherproofing method?

Last edited:

rebel_raider

The weatherproofing was pretty simple. I unbolted the weatherstripping above the door glass from the cab top and installed two pieces of sheet metal that I broke up. Then I reinstalled the weatherstripping and caulked on top of and around the top joint on the cap top with butyl flex sealant. I may have to take you up on those tires. I noticed that one of my steer tires is going bald the other day, and I can't afford to single it right now.

rebel_raider

Started fabbing up a heater mount for under the hood. My deuce came with a heater, but whoever mounted it, mounted it TO the side panel. As you can imagine, this made it impossible to even open the side panel, much less work on anything on that side of the engine. Since I've got my heater valved off(somebody plumbed it wrong and I haven't fixed it yet), I thought I could make a mount similar to what's supposed to be there without too much difficulty.

Attachments

rebel_raider

Yes I did, but didn't want to cut holes for the heater hoses. Also for some reason, to me, it just didn't look right under the glove box:roll:. I figure if I have to do any serious motor work; a few bolts, a hose clamp, and a wire are not too much to take loose to get the heater out of the way.

rebel_raider

UPDATE TIME!

As some of you know, I participated in the Arkansas Fun Run on May 5th. It took 4.5-5 hours drive time from my home to where the Fun Run started. I had noticed about 1/3 into our trip my clutch was slipping. It only slipped when I was taking off, didn't give me any trouble in traffic or going up hills, so I didn't think much of it. Got to the hotel, shut it down, and it proceeded to make a dinner plate size oil slick. It was black so I assumed it was engine oil and did not check it. Checked the engine oil it looked fine, so I went on about my business.

Next morning we crank up to warm up the trucks, and I notice something dripping off of the u-bolt on the passenger side spring perch. Pop the hood and the flame heater nozzle is dripping diesel fuel on the turbo, which is dropping to the axle. Great. Two trips to the parts house later, we got that stopped. Off we go on the run, only about an hour behind everybody else. The rest of the run was uneventful except for more sunburn on top of my sunburn from the ride up there.

After the Run we stop and grab some grub, fill up, then head for home at 1900. I crawl in bed at midnight. That was a long day.

So, today I pull my truck into the driveway to wire up my previously mentioned back up lights. While crawling under the truck pulling wire, I look at the bellhousing and see oil dripping. I investigate. Its gear oil. But I'm still going to replace the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushiing, and rear main seal. Mainly because I don't know how old or what kind of shape any of that is in, and I need to clean all that up. Back to the lights. Get them all wired up, flip the switch, and nothing. Get my meter out and start checking everything and the first light in the series is blown. Great. As far as I can tell its a non-replacable bulb. I guess that's what I get for trying to use my 12v lights I had on hand instead of buying some 24v lights. Oh well.