• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refreshing Gunny the thread.

GunnyM1009

I've been putting off the transmission install till I could get a Trans jack. A friend happened to have one that had been sitting outside unused for years that he gave me yesterday. I took it apart last night and ordered the few parts I need to fix it. I am hopeful that the Trans will be going in this weekend. This will be a major milestone for Gunny to be able to move under his own power again.

cucvrus

A piece of 3/4" plywood the size of the transmission pan and a floor jack is the only transmission jack I myself have personally owned. I removed and installed hundreds of transmissions with the same Snap-On 2 1/2 ton floor jack. 2 guys in 20 minutes can have that up in place on a solid floor. Outside with a sheet of plywood it may take 1/2 and hour. Good Luck. Be Safe. I have used the proper tools, fancy jacks and lifts but learned and done things the hard way most of my life. Still do. I am brush painting a 3 story barn from scaffold and taking flak everyday from friends. They say spray it. I say NO WAY. I can paint for 2 - 8 hours and wash my brush out and start painting an hour later. Try that with spraying equipment. It rained for 3 days straight and my brush is ready a any moment. the sprayer not so quick.

GunnyM1009

View attachment 878600
You need to get this kit and in 15 minutes after you have the sway bar you can have it on. I am sending you new correct bolts nuts and washers for the install. Good Luck. Clean up everything on them big bolts and get them lubed well.
Got it ordered, no one locally had it in stock. All the bolts have been getting a coat of marine grease brushed on them or anti seize in a few cases.

GunnyM1009

A piece of 3/4" plywood the size of the transmission pan and a floor jack is the only transmission jack I myself have personally owned. I removed and installed hundreds of transmissions with the same Snap-On 2 1/2 ton floor jack. 2 guys in 20 minutes can have that up in place on a solid floor. Outside with a sheet of plywood it may take 1/2 and hour. Good Luck. Be Safe. I have used the proper tools, fancy jacks and lifts but learned and done things the hard way most of my life. Still do. I am brush painting a 3 story barn from scaffold and taking flak everyday from friends. They say spray it. I say NO WAY. I can paint for 2 - 8 hours and wash my brush out and start painting an hour later. Try that with spraying equipment. It rained for 3 days straight and my brush is ready a any moment. the sprayer not so quick.
The only jack I have had for about 14 years is a Duralast trolly jack. I keep saying I need to buy a floor jack but when it comes time to work on stuff I spend the money on parts instead. As far as the barn goes I would probably do the same thing you are, or a thick napped roller if it wouldn't leave the nap behind.

GunnyM1009

Plans to install the Trans got sidelined today due to not getting the transmission jack fixed. The day was not a complete waste though I got a rust hole welded up on the upper passenger side cab corner where the camper shell meets. Down and upside to that is the heat made some bondo crack near by that I had no idea was there. A couple of taps with the chipping hammer and I discovered I have another hole to patch. This one is about golf ball size. Glad I know about it now, I just hate that it's there.

GunnyM1009

New sway bar bushing kit finally came in.20220915_144308.jpg First one got damaged in shipping so they had to send another. Also got the brake lines bled out with fresh dot5. Took the day off work today to sleep after being out on call outs all night. After getting up at 11 I felt like I had to accomplish something today or it would have been a waste.

GunnyM1009

Being on call makes it hard to get to deep into working on anything. I did however get a new blower motor and cage installed which completes the heating. Even though it doesn't get below 20 in middle Alabama much these days that heat is still nice to have below 40 degrees Fahrenheit that's 4.4 Celsius for anyone not in the U.S.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Being on call makes it hard to get to deep into working on anything. I did however get a new blower motor and cage installed which completes the heating. Even though it doesn't get below 20 in middle Alabama much these days that heat is still nice to have below 40 degrees Fahrenheit that's 4.4 Celsius for anyone not in the U.S.
Yes sir, and the heat will help on a cold wet day.
Or if you get into any heavy breathing situation in the truck. :)

GunnyM1009

Cut the rust out around the golf ball sized hole and got a patch welded in. That's all the rust holes that I know of patched so now I just have to body fill over the patch areas and sand smooth. I'm not really worried about dents and dings but I am fixing rust and holes to prevent further damage. Got the sway bar in from @cucvrus going to get a coat of paint on that pretty soon. Ill probably hold off on installing it till i rebuild the front steering components.

Keith_J

I always did it the hard way, by myself. That was many miles ago, lol.
Last transmission I did was with a home made jack adapter. Only a 100 pound aluminium cased Ford F 150 manual. That would never work so I bought a proper adapter for standard trolley jacks. Cheap enough modifications are painless. Like blocks to make a 205 transfer case steady. One does not bench press a 205.

cucvrus

Check the VCV on the injection pump. Make sure the valve is getting suction/vacuum. The top hose to transmission the bottom hose to back of engine vacuum pump. It will suck your fingertip fast if it is making vacuum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks