• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remanufactured M818's for sale???

treysoucie

does anyone have any info on what goes into remanufacturing these m818 units? ive seen some remanufactured (1998-2002 reman dates) m818's on gl and just wondering if these are factory done? do they completely tear apart and rebuild replace everything similar from going to an m35a2 to the new a3's? except with the same equipment...

jwaller

yes if it's a depot rebuild it means everything has been overhauled. eng, trans, xcase and all axles. depending on what depot did it some replace all gauges and wires and some don't. in any case they are pretty nice when they come out.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I used to spend a lot of time at Camp Shelby, MS.
The Mississippi National Guard had a rebuild facility there and supplied the rebuilds to other guard units and their own units.

I toured the facility several times and they did a very comprehensive rebuild.....dissassembled the trucks completly and blasted all metal components. Rebuilt engines, transmissions, axles, etc. They put in new wiring harnesses and lights also. When they came out of the shop they were essentially new trucks. While I was on active duty (2003-2007) they switched from the 800 to the 900 series vehicles.

They are now rebuilding the 900 series and do the same with them.

treysoucie

sounds like some of these trucks may be really nice then, the pics have them looking like new... quite a few have rebuild dates in the first half of '02 so i guess it is right along the lines of when they started the 900's

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch out. I would inspect. I talked to John Murray and he said that he is not impressed with these particular rebuilds and he has had several. I had no idea what he meant until a friend got two. They are not as nice as they look in the pics. One of my friends trucks looks mostly rebuilt (new motor, new wiring, etc.). The other less so (no new wiring, rust crack in the sheet metal in the back of the cab, flaky paint covered with tan, for example). Perhaps, he got two of the lesser rebuilt trucks...or maybe they are exactly what you get. Just a word of caution. I saw these trucks up close and they are not what I expected I can tell you that with certainty.

treysoucie

well guess thats what i would get for not inspecting, ill see if i can get someone local out there to take a look... problem with preview is im 1200 miles away :( its really gonna just be a crap shoot. but this is the info im looking for, has anyone else viewed these m818's? there is about 8 or 9 of them coming out of the same place. as long as they fetch reasonable prices i wouldnt mind making the extra effort to get one so far as opposed to locally getting an older one here with significantly more problems.

cleb

I agree with BKubu...My 818 was a rebuild I believe....Looked great in the GL pictures. Went to inspect, and found some rust repairs (plates + pop rivets), a horrid paint job (paint over rust, LOTS of runs, etc). I think the rebuild was something done in the 90's. It didn't look like it had a frame off. My 1971 Deuce that's been repainted once is in WAY better shape. The M35A2 has never been thru a depot rebuild as far as I can tell. I have seen a couple tan rebuilds, and a couple out of Ft. Lewis (MilitaryRestorations 818 is one) that were nice. YMMV.

treysoucie

I agree with BKubu...My 818 was a rebuild I believe....Looked great in the GL pictures. Went to inspect, and found some rust repairs (plates + pop rivets), a horrid paint job (paint over rust, LOTS of runs, etc). I think the rebuild was something done in the 90's. It didn't look like it had a frame off. My 1971 Deuce that's been repainted once is in WAY better shape. The M35A2 has never been thru a depot rebuild as far as I can tell. I have seen a couple tan rebuilds, and a couple out of Ft. Lewis (MilitaryRestorations 818 is one) that were nice. YMMV.

well this is the kinda stuff i needed to hear, how were the mechanicals on your rebuild? was the drivetrain and mechanical parts in good order?

2old2slow

I've been looking the 818's over from GL that are at Wright Patterson and they look just like the 5 that are in my motor pool in the TX Guard. All of ours are very low miles, have nearly perfect paint, and they haven't moved more than a few miles in the 2 years I've been in the unit. No one wants to mess with the old steel when they can drive a newer M1088. It's a shame, and the motor SGT thinks I'm nuts because I keep pestering him to drive them on drill weekends.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There might be some quality differences between the tan and camo rebuilt trucks. I don't know. 2OLD2SLOW, are the trucks in your motor pool camo or tan? Perhaps, they came from different rebuild facilities.

2old2slow

There might be some quality differences between the tan and camo rebuilt trucks. I don't know. 2OLD2SLOW, are the trucks in your motor pool camo or tan? Perhaps, they came from different rebuild facilities.
The ones we have are solid green with black camo. I haven't looked to see where the rebulid was. I'm working in San Antonio this week, but I'll be working back at our Austin facility next week where they are. I'll post a few pics next Monday.

CW3Topher

I briefly looked at one of them a couple of weeks ago before they went up for auction. The truck looked good. I am going to go over and do a better inspection soon, maybe today or Monday. I live about 5 miles from DRMO at Wright Patt. I drove the 818’s some before I retired from the Army Reserve. We had mainly the 931A2’s, and everyone preferred those. I got the idea of a bobbed deuce, but the bobbed 818’s here on SS seem to be my favorite. I will post after previewing the trucks.

Last edited:

treysoucie

I've been looking the 818's over from GL that are at Wright Patterson and they look just like the 5 that are in my motor pool in the TX Guard. All of ours are very low miles, have nearly perfect paint, and they haven't moved more than a few miles in the 2 years I've been in the unit. No one wants to mess with the old steel when they can drive a newer M1088. It's a shame, and the motor SGT thinks I'm nuts because I keep pestering him to drive them on drill weekends.

do you know if they are gonna be unloading them? man that would save me a nightmare recovery.

2old2slow

do you know if they are gonna be unloading them? man that would save me a nightmare recovery.

The motor SGT said we are getting rid of them but I felt like it was a poor attempt to get me to stop pestering him about driving them. I asked the S4 if there were any transfer orders on them, or replacements due in and they had not heard about either.

Having said that, they will be gone Monday morning for sure.

I hear you on the long haul recovery. I keep "map questing" the different GL lots to see what kind of distance I think I could stand.

Varyag

My truck was a toole rebuild. She has a rebuilt engine, tranny, xfere case but they didn't blast it down to metal. When I was taking mine apart and sanding it down I found the original OD green that was under everything. The wiring, and break lines are new as well.

CW3Topher

I got to preview most of the trucks at WPAFB on Friday, they seem really nice. I wouldn't mind having one. All of them seemed to have some small issues, needing paint on the step by the battery boxes, a few are missing mud flaps, some are missing the the top of the stacks. Paint is good on all, the worse one I saw is the one that says the breaks are inop. The paint isn't as nice behind the cab. A few have some damage on the top of the front bumpers, not bad though. The ones I looked at were recently driven to the upper lot. Their slave covers were off so they were jumped.

treysoucie

ya i figured batts would be no good on most if not all of them. good to hear they are clean for the most part... good thing i just advertised these on ss lol, im sure i just kicked myself in the bum with this thread and the prices will prolly reflect it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TREYSOUCIE, are you after an M818, or just a military tractor? If you are interested in an M915A1, contact M1075 on this list. I believe he has a nice truck for sale in OK.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks