• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing rear shims to get the tires to ride vertical? Good idea?

teteacher101

I know on mine I pulled all of the rear shims out. Mine was kinda a bastard of a job dealing with rusty nuts an bolts but they all had to come out to get it anywhere near vertical. The shims really weren't the bad part as they are slotted so they slide right out, the plates with only bolt holes is what made it really suck. Glad I did though as my tires are wearing nice and even now. However, I didn't spend $250 per tire, Feltz Tire up here in WI has nice mil surplus for $100 each.

kcobean

I know on mine I pulled all of the rear shims out. Mine was kinda a bastard of a job dealing with rusty nuts an bolts but they all had to come out to get it anywhere near vertical. The shims really weren't the bad part as they are slotted so they slide right out, the plates with only bolt holes is what made it really suck. Glad I did though as my tires are wearing nice and even now. However, I didn't spend $250 per tire, Feltz Tire up here in WI has nice mil surplus for $100 each.
Good to know. I'm tackling this today.

tonydamato

Bringing this post back up as I didn't see any mention as to the front ends. Those of you that have taken the time to align the vehicles. Aside from removing all the shim plates from the rear and adjusting toe, what did you do to the front? What kind of final alignment specs did you end up with?

teteacher101

Bringing this post back up as I didn't see any mention as to the front ends. Those of you that have taken the time to align the vehicles. Aside from removing all the shim plates from the rear and adjusting toe, what did you do to the front? What kind of final alignment specs did you end up with?
I took all of the shims out of the back of mine and when I took it in for an alignment the shop removed a couple of shims from the right front as well. I don't remember what the final numbers were but it drives nice and the tires are all wearing even.

319cssb

I took all of the shims out of the back of mine and when I took it in for an alignment the shop removed a couple of shims from the right front as well. I don't remember what the final numbers were but it drives nice and the tires are all wearing even.
Did you have to unbolt the axle shafts? and were the shims slotted or did you have to pull the bolts out completely?

teteacher101

Did you have to unbolt the axle shafts? and were the shims slotted or did you have to pull the bolts out completely?
If I remember correctly I think I just undid the one bolt that goes through the hub and then unbolted the control arm mounting bolts an used a jack under the lower control arm to support it-which allowed enough articulation to take care of everything. The bolts had to come completely out as not all of the shims were slotted. It kinda sucked as the bolts were getting a little rusty, had been in there for 27 years and were torqued to about 1 million foot pounds-but with some heat and a little penetrating oil and a BFH I got them!

319cssb

If I remember correctly I think I just undid the one bolt that goes through the hub and then unbolted the control arm mounting bolts an used a jack under the lower control arm to support it-which allowed enough articulation to take care of everything. The bolts had to come completely out as not all of the shims were slotted. It kinda sucked as the bolts were getting a little rusty, had been in there for 27 years and were torqued to about 1 million foot pounds-but with some heat and a little penetrating oil and a BFH I got them!
I see... Was the tank in the way?

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished doing mine this week. I only had one side to do though. It was tilted on the rear driver side. I lucked up being good with removing just the sliding shims, didn't have to remove the shim with holes. It was a pain reaching those nuts on the backside of the frame though. Then I adjusted the toe and its spot on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks