• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the TH400

QuickSilver

I'm in the middle of removing the TH400 from my 09 to replace the cracked case. I have everything unhooked and ready to come out, but there are a couple of things I'm unsure of.

Do I need to wait until morning and go get a transmission jack before I undo the bell housing bolts, or am I going to be able to hold this thing up when I take it loose? I have a couple of floor jacks, but I don't think I can really balance it on them. The new case I have for it isn't very heavy, but that's just an empty case.

Do you guys think it's best to take it out with the transfer case attached or separated? It looks like I have more than enough room to take it out all together.

Thanks!

ralbelt

Plenty of room to take it out with th TC attached. The bell housing also has two locating bosses that will keep it from dropping straight down. You will have to wiggle it back an inch or so.

ralbelt

A floor jack will hold it on the cross member, it will be a little front heavy, if soldier B is available you should be OK, if alone it will be alittle harder. I used a fork lift with 6' extensions on a gravel lot.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd wait till you get a tranny jack or a second person. I have done a few and pulling it yourself with the t/c installed will cumbersome at best.:beer:

QuickSilver

I'd wait till you get a tranny jack or a second person. I have done a few and pulling it yourself with the t/c installed will cumbersome at best.:beer:
I was afraid you might say that. :smile: I was hoping to git r done tonight, but if that's the case I might have to wait a few more days.

ralbelt

You'll be ok, just be careful. With a tranny jack it should be relatively easy.
Going back in make sure that the torque converter fingers are located into the front pump. I used a chain hooked to the crossmember and anchored to the front end with loadbinders to pull it back into position.
I would also replace the flex plate while it apart.

Westech

CPL
well we will be reading about a crushed member in the news....

Take the T case OFF!! it will save you 75 pounds. Make sure to use a jack .... A TH400 is not that heavy but heavy enough to hurt you if it slips and get out of control.

GET A REPAIR MANUAL AND READ IT!

Buzz

check your local tool rental place for a trans jack, it will make life so much easier for you. You dont want to get hurt. I have used a motorcycle jack to drop a trans before but I had my Dad helping me wrestle it in and out. A trans jack would have been so much better because you can tilt it left or right or front or back.

QuickSilver

Ok, sounds like a trans jack is the way to go. I'll try to find one when I go into town in the morning. Just getting a little impatient wanting to get my baby back on the road. :driver: Thanks for all the input!

DokWatson

It weighs more than you think it does, especially with a t-case still attached. We pulled one the other day and got it off a tall tranny jack designed for lift bays with 3 people. You can probably get it off a short tranny jack by yourself if you're careful.

combat jump

Quicksilver, you are a few days ahead of me - I'll be dropping my TH400 for a rebuild on Thursday. My local tool rental yard has a transmission jack for $25 a day. I'll plan on renting it twice. Keep us posted on your rebuild.

NICK_M1009

Learn from my mistake... Make sure the torque converter is all the way in. If you dont get the fingers on the converter in all the way the bellhousing will not go up against the block all the way. If the converter is not in all the way and you tighten the bolts on the bellhousing you will here a pop in the trans. That means you broke something in the pump on the trans and it will be a big waist of time. Make sure you can spin the converter before you tighten the bellhousing bolts...

sp00n

Get a floorjack and some blocks if you're alone. It isn't real heavy when its out of the truck and you can stand and use your legs, but if your trying to manhandle it under a truck, especially with the tcase attached, its gunna be tough. I wouldn't want one landing on me.

QuickSilver

Thanks for all the info guys. I picked up the trans jack attachment this morning, and just finished taking the tranny out the rest of the way. Removing the transfer case and using the tranny jack was definitely the way to go. If I was doing it in a shop with a jack table and a lift then things might be different, but doing it in a two car garage on jack stands is another story.

I'm going to have a shop do the actual rebuild. I would love to learn to do it myself, but I'm in a little more of a time crunch right now being down to pretty much one vehicle for myself and Wifey. The M1009 is in pieces, and the ol' Buick GS sure isn't going anywhere with a foot of snow on the ground!

coyote_hunter

I've taken several 350's out with 208 attached and it's about all one guy can do to put a 208 in and out without a jack. As stated a couple times prior, MAKE SURE THE CONVERTER GOES ALL THE WAY ONTO THE SHAFT BEFORE YOU TRY TO INSTALL IT. Once you get the transmission fitted up to the engine, there should be a gap between the flex plate and the converter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks