• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing traces of gov liquidation

papakb

Does anybody have a good way to remove that ##@$@# grease pencil government liquuidation uses to mark their items? I've tried paint thinner, lacquer thinner, toluene, mineral spirits, alcohol, gasoline and every other solvent I can think of with no luck.

Once it gets onto CARC paint it seems like all you can do is to sand it off!

Thanks,

Kurt

papakb

robb,

not everybody reads all the forums and I'm looking for answers. that's why I posted this in a coupleof places. hope the expenditure of some electrons didn't cause any grief.

kurt

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, the management frowns on it, no worries. Yeah it sucks. Even chemicals that remove the marker screw up the paint. Its bad either way.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
robb,

not everybody reads all the forums and I'm looking for answers. that's why I posted this in a coupleof places. hope the expenditure of some electrons didn't cause any grief.

kurt
Hello Kurt,

We understand you are looking for answers (aren't we all rofl) but we don't allow multiple postings for a few reasons unrelated to electrons or bandwidth. With so many (hundreds of) active members, let alone thousands of lurkers, if we allow multiple cross postings, it will be a painfully short time before the entire front page of the website consists of only a few different discussions, because every discussion is being repeated in all the applicable forums.

Also, there is already a very good 3 page discussion on this topic:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/20840-gl-paint-marker-remover.html

I would add your question to that thread after reading it if you don't find an answer there.

C

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mineral spirits took mine off and elbow grease
This sucks! I went to the local True Value and got a gallon of mineral spirits. I asked for a gallon of elbow grease and the young clerk himmed and hawed and then came back saying they no longer carry elbow grease in this information age. I heard some faint laughing in the back. Tomorrow I'm going to see about a bucket of steam. Speaking of steam, my wife has a nice steamer that she stores in my garage. Perhaps, I'll try that on the dreaded GL artwork.

drdstny

Banned
Have you tried Goo-Gone or Goof-Off? They are citrus-based cleaners that work well on old decals, price tags and so forth. Goo-Gone is my choice, partly because it comes in a plastic bottle, while the other is more like a lighter refill jar.

If that doesn't work...well, you planned on repainting anyway, right? :deadhorse:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot Kenny, you may as well sand and repaint. Though, I guess finding the correct color CARC in S Florida is hard to do. Where do you find yellow and orange CARC? What other strange colors are still down there?:beer:

rlwm211

I would try ACETONE on a rag and use ample elbow grease once you establish that the ACETONE is not taking the rest of the paint off.

Remeber to only use highly flammable solvents in a well ventilated place. Outdoors at a minimum. And remember, No Smoking while removing GL markings with solvents.

Hope this helps

RL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot Kenny, you may as well sand and repaint. Though, I guess finding the correct color CARC in S Florida is hard to do. Where do you find yellow and orange CARC? What other strange colors are still down there?:beer:
Hehe, there are no GL Tattoos on my yellow and orange CARC trucks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tryed MEK and rag but was thinking what would happen if a heat gun on good hair dryier was used to heat it up a bit before hand?