• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REPAIRED near Roosevelt Lake AZ

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you have us all curious about where exactly you broke down. Where are the pics?

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LowTech how are you doing now, need anything?
Thanks, the fan straightened out just fine, using the built in anvil known as the front bumper, so I'm good there. Thanks for stopping and hangin out while I worked on putting it back together ;) I hope yours goes together well.

So it's all back together, water pump, straightened fan, rad, . . . filled w/ liquid. I fired her up, so far all good. No leaks, fan spins good, etc. Tomorrow I will straighten some fins in the rad, while the brushgard is still off, install the gard, and roll out of this sweet spot she decided to stop at.

I think the old rad will be good if I just put some black pepper in it :) and I've hear you can solder those random bits back together . . .

(after I pulled the fan and rad I drove it back to this pull off)

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy that. I'm hoping to pick one up from Jack in Tucson when I hit there either tomorrow or the next day.
Can't leave that kind of thing on my lady's rig.

akt12

If you begin to starve you should be able to do some night fishing: big mouth bass,
Small mouth bass, cat fish, crappie, etc... Thanks for the show and tell! You are one smart
Steel soldier. :driver:

Call if you need some firepower!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bet that's the last time she lets you borrow her truck! Glad you got it going.

armytruck63

Indeed a beautiful place to stop, even if forced to. It looks like the Saguaros will be blooming at night.

Glad to hear you are back on the road.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all, I'm now headed farther south.
Will keep you'll updated.

Gimpy, I'm going to keep it under 50 so that doesn't happen to her ;)

Warthog, can we change the "911" to "Repaired -".

Last edited:

GilaSlim

LowTech, I recognize where you are on Roosevelt Lake. South side of the Eastern (Salt River) arm. Across the lake from you is Salome Wash (pronounced Sally Mae). Salome Wash channels a creek fed by springs on the Conway Ranch up on Greenback Mountain. Great crappie fishing at the north end of Salome. I fish Roosevelt a lot, but only in the winter when the drunken idiots that occupy the lake in the summer are staying home. I used to do a lot of hunting for mule deer and Javalina on the Conway Ranch. Beautiful, but rugged country north of the lake.

Glad to see you got the rig fixed and back on the road again.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all!

Thank you everyone! It feels really good to know that after 32 years of living & traveling around the land in my rigs I now know a crew of people that will go out of their way . . . way out of their way, to make sure that they have your back. Thank you so much for that!

I'm now back at Base Camp in J-Tree prepping for our trip north, in about 3 or 4 weeks. She ran great, never lost a drop of coolant after the transplant and transfusion. She still reads that she's running @ 200 - 215 on the temps, but never acts like she's overheating . . . even after I shut her down. Is there any easy way to check if the gauge is reading correct?
And I still need to come up w/ another fan . . . anyone?

LowTech, I recognize where you are on Roosevelt Lake. South side of the Eastern (Salt River) arm. Across the lake from you is Salome Wash (pronounced Sally Mae). Salome Wash channels a creek fed by springs on the Conway Ranch up on Greenback Mountain. Great crappie fishing at the north end of Salome. I fish Roosevelt a lot, but only in the winter when the drunken idiots that occupy the lake in the summer are staying home. I used to do a lot of hunting for mule deer and Javalina on the Conway Ranch. Beautiful, but rugged country north of the lake.

Glad to see you got the rig fixed and back on the road again.
Very cool! Maybe some winter we come hang out w/ you and you and you can take us out & about ;)

Hey, I see this 109 was just "published" in Popular Mechanics. That's pretty cool!

14 Extreme Campers Built for Off-Roading - Popular Mechanics
Yes we were. I had just left that event, the Overland Expo. We were a "Featured Vehicle" and I helped w/ clean-up/tear-down. Just drove away that morning. As a friend said " . . . glad that didn't happen on the way to the Expo . . ."

Once again, Thank you all very much, and especially Castle Bravo! (I owe you one. If you need a Barstow preview or recovery help let me know, we're not that far away.)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I will keep an eye out for a fan for you. Have you contacted Will Wagner? Maybe he could find one on a fontana trip.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She still reads that she's running @ 200 - 215 on the temps, but never acts like she's overheating . . . even after I shut her down. Is there any easy way to check if the gauge is reading correct?
When my deuce was showing running that hot I cleverly had the radiator rodded out. When that expensive repair didn't work, I ignored the advice of a friend to replace the sender, and put in a new all mechanical Stewart Warner temperature guage from NAPA auto parts.

Turns out the problem was the sender, and that is likely what is why you are showing those temps. Seems the senders fail to showing hot.

One easy and inexpensive way to test is to pickup a hand held infrared temperature sensor from Harbor Freight. Point it at the thermostat housing and it will tell you the temp of your coolant within a few degrees.

I like the mechanical guage, I know for a certainty that it is accurate and have never seen one fail. The only downside is that the tubing to the thermocouple is shorter than I would like, but it does install and work.

Cheapest fix is to replace the sender though. I am willing to bet a beer that the truck is running closer to 180 deg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks