• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing bumpers on m1008

slickm1008

1st of all hi and thanks for have'n such a cool site!

NOW... I am in the process of restoring my newly aquired M1008. I have almost completed a transmition swap (th400 to NV4500) and am now on to the bumpers...

Specifically, i'm put'n chrome plain old bumpers on and am curious what all I need to replace???

Obviously the bumpers but I assume there are a few diffrent types of bumper supports?

The army bumpers are fine, just some minor tweaks on them but I'm use'n this rig ad a DD and want a lil less of the camo look etc.

...I suppose if any of you are look'n to replace yer bumpers I may be talked into sell'n these but in the mean time the info is a BIG help too!!!

thx guys

-ke-

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cross-post multiple posts or threads about the same topic. This includes either creating multiple threads about the same topic in multiple forums or the same thread repeatedly or posting the same post within multiple existing threads.

slickm1008

Cross-post multiple posts or threads about the same topic. This includes either creating multiple threads about the same topic in multiple forums or the same thread repeatedly or posting the same post within multiple existing threads.
:lost:

how is that to do with anything related to replacing a front or rear bumper?

...just ask'n cause I'm not sure what you mean? this is the only post I see regarding bumper replacment???

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I suppose if any of you are look'n to replace yer bumpers I may be talked into sell'n these but in the mean time the info is a BIG help too!!!

You posted this then you started a for sale thread ( which is against the rules ) minutes later.

slickm1008

You posted this then you started a for sale thread ( which is against the rules ) minutes later.

ah... but by these same rules you NOW are doing exactly what you are grousing me for?

pot/kettele

try to cut me some slack jack! I am simply try'n to get some info... NOT put any twists in to your panties :confused:

BTW, while I have your attention, can you help with the bumper replacment question?

Midnight Rider

Why not just repaint your stock bumpers. It would be cheaper and easier.

PORKYSPLACE.... Are you like the Secret Steel Soldiers Police force? Give the guy a break. He is new and Im sure a "real" Forum Admin will correct him. I dont think its OUR place to do so.
I don't think that will happen.

rnd-motorsports

for the front Unbolt the old bumper unbolt the tie downs get bumper and bolt on with new chrome bolts pretty simple I would think after all its just a 80's Chevy truck! LOL the rear you will need to remove the pintle other then that about the same a unbolt and replace just a 80's Chevy truck. WELCOME TO THE SITE!! :beer:

idM1028

If I recall correctly from trying to yank my rear bumper off, there should be a pair of inner braces that ties into your chassis and a pair of outer braces that also ties into your chassis. Biggest difference from a civvy truck should be that the inner braces are a bit beefier since the truck was designed to have a trailer mount on the bumper. That and the bumper style (see previous reason for difference) If you're going to replace the rear with a civvy style I'd see if you can't replace the inner brace bolts where they attach to the bumper with a regular style bolt instead of the round head style (trust me, I rounded out the square holes in the bumper trying to get these out. I ended up having to slowly grind off bolt heads) You'll also probably have to cut out holes for your clevis mounts or cut the ends off. Might as well take your blackout lights off also. Don't ask me about the front bumper. I haven't gotten that far yet.
If you haven't found a home for your license plate yet, I'd say go ahead and get some lights, wire them up and run it on the bumper. It's pretty easy. You should see a brown wire going to your tailight assembly. This is your hot wire. You should also see a black wire going to your chassis. This is obviously your ground. Just splice into these two and run your light wires to them, you'll be good to go.

slickm1008

I'm try'n to switch to the style bumper that matches the front cosmetically and has the notch out for the plate etc

I have both front and back bumpers pulled... It was a PITA! But wanted to know if I needed to buy any different support brackettes etc so I can order it all at once.

...it looks like I might be able to just buy 1 or 2 pieces NOT the whole mounting kit for the rear???

If ya know pls share :mrgreen:

camogriz

Chrome bumpers should bolt right up, if you replace them with the same style already there. The only thing you should have to buy are chrome bumper bolts if you wish to change the subdued bolts already there, as well as a (rubber) bumper impact strip (if the style you buy needs them). Removal of the clevis hooks and brackets will be necessary unless you cut holes in the new bumpers. Use a lot of penetrating oil on the bolts. They will most likely be corroded and you may even need a torch to heat them up in order to remove the nuts from them. The only difference between CUCV bumpers and civilian bumpers are all the extra holes in the CUCV bumpers. There should even be provisions for license plate installation and the ever elusive rear license plate light on the civilian bumper.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOW... I am in the process of restoring my newly aquired M1008. I have almost completed a transmition swap (th400 to NV4500) and am now on to the bumpers...
-ke-
Interesting that you say you are restoringing the truck, but you are really 'modifing" it.

Now to your bumpers.

Have you looked aat any of the truck parts cataloges, LMCtruck.com, Classicparts.com?

They have the diagrams of what is needed to do the conversion.

Also have you looked at the Technical Manuals for the CUCVs? They are free and also have parts breakdowns.

If you are selling the old parts you will want to make sure you remove the mounting hardware for the tow shackles as they are wortless without them.

Here are some pictures to look at. Pay attension to part number 16 and 17 on the LMC diagram.

Attachments

slickm1008

Cool, thanks

Yes I have lmc but have not found the manuals for the m1008 till you mentioned it...

And it seems this truck was red before so yes I am indeed restoring it, the lack of flat paint isn't really a modification in my opinion at least...

Regardless if it's a restoration or modification the help is truly appreciated

I have noticed some folks here are more interested in their post count and less about helping.

Thanks for not being disrespectful!

slickm1008

Oops ya the trans is indeed a mod... But it allows me to go over 45 mph and not worry about a piston shooting out a fender

But it's still the same truck aside from that

48cj2a

Lift the truck and add 35"-37" tires and the engine will scream no more at highway speeds;{).

Look for a rear bumper and brackets from a Suburban or Blazer K5, actually same goes for the front... 1981-1991 but there are a few early years (81-82 I think) they added the turn signals in the front bumper.

Here is my 91 USAF Crew Cab painted red for a Fire Department with the CUCV brush guard on a chrome bumber:

http://48cj2a.com/images/k30/1991K30.JPG

Last edited:

KsM715

Cool, thanks

Yes I have lmc but have not found the manuals for the m1008 till you mentioned it...

And it seems this truck was red before so yes I am indeed restoring it, the lack of flat paint isn't really a modification in my opinion at least...

Regardless if it's a restoration or modification the help is truly appreciated

I have noticed some folks here are more interested in their post count and less about helping.

Thanks for not being disrespectful!

The truck was NOT originally red. The Fire dept painted it red after the got it from the military. You are not restoring it by putting chrome on it.

If your going to come into a Military vehicle forum and talk about throwing something shiny on it you better expect to get razzed a little.

Restoring a vehicle = back to original, as it left the factory. What your doing is just fixing up an old truck.