• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Fuel Filters

dk8019

Well I replaced the primary water seperator / filter on the M814 today, it's about done and ready to start working, and as I was reading through the -20, I found that there's a smaller filter inside the IP that needs replacing as well. ODIron didn't have these when I bought my fuel filter before, so where does one find these, and how often do they need replaced?

The M814 was sitting for quite a long time before I picked it up, if I had to guess, I would say 4-5 years. The tank was full so, I treated it, and have ran it so far, it does ok, but the primary filter was nasty, and I believe stuff was living in the filter body. :-(

Changed the oil as well, pretty nasty looking to say the least!

She's painted after the bad spots being taken care of which were few. The inside of the bed needed the most attention. I think standing water had been in the back for quite awhile. I'll have pictures up as soon as the replacement windshields are installed!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I am told things tend to grow in the old fuel as well and may continue to mess up your filters, I usually dump my old fuel into the used oil tank for cleaning later and use fresh fuel, I know it is expensive but I have had fewer problems over time doing it this way.
James G.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Any leads on that small filter in the IP?
I am having fuel issues with the 816...I have replaced the canister filter with a screw on filter/separator and base. I bypassed the tank selector switch and am only going to run off the drivers side tank for now
Does anyone have pics of the IP filter???

TedG

White Owl has/had them very reasonably priced. Make sure you know which ip you have since there is a difference per the manual. I just got two from them about a month ago. Do not forget the gasket also.

DOCUSN1

You can get your IP filters at any cummins dealer try cummins midatlantic, or cummins northeast. As far as your growth issues that bio growth in your fuel system. Get some marine grade biocide for diesel fuel and add it to your tank per amount per gallon as specified. You should do this even if you drain the system the bacteria will still be there. I would treat the fluid with it and dose with some additive to remove any water. Mark :-D

GHall

I am curious about the longevity of these filters as well.. The TM for my truck says mine has them too and I was wondering if clogged what kind of affects it may have on the motor? When I fire up my truck for the first time in a day it stumbles for the first minute or two then levels out. Outside temp has no affect, this happens weather it's hot or cold outside. Already have main fuel filter on order. Any suggestions?

jwaller

the little filter in th eIP will only get dirty right about the time the IP is getting ready to die. It's only there to stop the metal from a dieing IP from getting to the injectors or so I'm told.

I've checked mine a dozen times and I've never seen it dirty. This is during times when I've had to change the std fuel filter bc it's clogged or dirty.

GHall

Thanks guys! That's kinda what I've been reading. It seems more of a catch for if the IP pump blows. I was looking at the lever for the fuel cut off on the IP and it was half shut so I reset it and the starting problem is fixed and now I have much more power.. I feel kinda silly but I've only had the truck for a month. The TM's here are great.