• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the HMMWV Windshield

So I just replaced the RH windshield of my HMMWV and figured I would document it for others to have the information down the road. I know a few folks have contacted auto windshield/glass replacement companies and struck out. Don't waste your money or time with those guys.

Is replacing the windshield as easy as it looks? Well, yes and no. I will tell you it took me two windshields, but if I had been a little more careful, the second windshield would not have been necessary. You can do it yourself from start to finish in about an hour and my cost for a windshield and new gasket was about $125. A step ladder is quite handy, too.

Well here's what my RH windshield looks like. Not pretty and probably not real safe especially at night. I put a clamp light behind so you can really see what I mean.

20151027_230010.jpg

The first step was to remove the upper and center windshield retainers. A wrench or socket will accomplish this in just a few minutes. Only issue that I came across is that one of the screws on the retainers had the head snapped off. I see from another spot that this had been solved in the past by drilling a new hole and installing a new self-tapping screw. I will do that upon reinstall.

Once the retainers were gone, I gave the windshield a firm push from the inside and it moved with no resistence other than the wiper arm's spring. So while you may notice a lot of old red RTV around the edges, this dated back to a prior windshield and there was nothing sealing or holding it in place. This next part took me a few minutes to figure out. With the wiper arm still attached, there wasn't enough room to rock the top edge of the windshield forward to remove it. So before I started taking things apart, I figured I would try something. I turned the wipers on and then shut the truck off when they were at their extreme left position. At that point there is enough slack in the wiper linkage to push the wiper arm up so that the windshield will simply rock forward for you to lift out.

20151027_231630-1.jpg

So here's what I was left with.

20151027_231842.jpg
20151028_001947.jpg

I ordered the new windshield from Kascar and here is how it arrived to me. Packed well, arrived safe and sound.

20151027_232730-1.jpg

The gasket has been sitting in my garage a couple weeks and it was about 40 degrees in there when I was doing this. When I opened the bag, it was super stiff and nearly impossible to spread to get the glass in between it. So I threw the gasket up on my truck's dashboard and left the defroster on high to heat it up. After about 20 minutes, I went and got the gasket and it was extremely warm to say the least. This made it a lot easier to install. How ever you do it, make sure that the gasket is warm. Getting the gasket on the windshield is the most tedious part of the job. Before heating it, I had gotten a total of about 20" of the glass edge in the gasket in about 10 minutes. Once I heated it up, the entire windshield took me less than 10 minutes to get in the gasket. I did all of this over several layers of blanket to avoid damage to the edges when handling.

The next thing I did was clean out the windshield channel. A quick vac & wipe down as well as removed the old RTV. Once I lifted the new windshield into place, I started to rock it back and noticed the fit was extremely tight on the sides and top. At this point I put some tire bead lubricant around the edges. I gave it a firm, even push... nothing. I did this again a little harder and POP!

Windshield #1 in the dumpster. Dejected, I reinstalled my old windshield and promptly ordered another from Kascar. Windshield #2 arrived broken. Looked as if UPS had been throwing it down stairs over and over. Kascar was awesome. Handled the claim and had a new piece of glass to me 5 days later.

Same issue with this piece... extremely tight fit. This time I took a razor blade to the gasket and cut the 3 ribs that go around the edge off the sides and top. It was close, but still tight. I then cut the ribs off the bottom edge. Reapplied the bead seal lube, and it popped in snuggly. Reinstall the the retainers, done deal.

20151205_141942.jpg

Last edited:

DatGuyC

Nice writeup! I think I need to do this with my drivers side window because every time it rains I get water dripping on my feet and I think its coming around the gasket, the glass itself is fine. I heard a trick you can do if the RTV is really holding on to the gasket is to use some high test fishing line and work it through in one area and basically cut the RTV around the glass with the line.

Nice writeup! I think I need to do this with my drivers side window because every time it rains I get water dripping on my feet and I think its coming around the gasket, the glass itself is fine. I heard a trick you can do if the RTV is really holding on to the gasket is to use some high test fishing line and work it through in one area and basically cut the RTV around the glass with the line.
Even with the very loose fit of the old windshield, mine didn't seem to leak. With the way this new one fit after trimming the gasket, I didn't see using RTV. As I understand it, the windshields were never meant to be "sealed" in place as this makes changing in the field more difficult.

I think the first think I would try on yours would be a new gasket.

Mjvaden

Nice write up....

Try some dawn dish soap next time for lube to get it to slide into place in the frame.

I have my local glass guy cut the glass (auto glass) $27 per side which hurts less then $80 something plus shipping.

on the gasket, Mac motors is considerably cheaper.

TedG

I remove the windshield wipers. A lot easier to install with them out of the way and no worries about flexing the new glass causing breakage.

kestrelnh

Thanks for the write up! When my m998 arrives I have to do the same procedure, and this will be helpful in keeping the number of screens I go through down to a minimum :)

Hopefully yours comes quicker than mine. EUC cleared just about 100 days after purchase. If you get the urge to drive one in the meantime, let me know. I'm just down the road from you in Plainfield.

Thanks for the write up! When my m998 arrives I have to do the same procedure, and this will be helpful in keeping the number of screens I go through down to a minimum :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks