• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing your multifuel engine with something else?

CGarbee

As a friend said to me a while back, you know that they are good engines when folks have derogatory pet names for them, PowerJoke and Cummapart... Anybody know the pet name for the GM engines (6.x or the Isuzu??)

Worse thang is to have a Cummapart in a Freightshaker...

I've got Cummins power in the yard, but I have to admit that my last three project trucks came home on a trailer pulled by a buddies PowerStroke... :)

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
There have been a few Stalwarts modified with the 180 Ti Perkins Phaser(6 cyl diesel). I don't know much about it. I think it was chosen because it offers a high operating RPM and is in-line(to fit in hull). The Rolls B81( straight 8 gas) runs 4000rpm/40mph so a typical low rpm diesel will cause the vehicle to go only 25mph. The Perkings stollys may go 35mph(suggesting 3500rpm?). I'm not recommending it, just pointing out that it was done, and why. JimK

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product3960.html?PHPSESSID=42e5f35f13378617b456177e24dd507d

http://www.phaserengines.com/

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,I have a long list of pet names for everyone.Not just Cummins/Dodge.

Cumapart
Powderjoke
Powdersmoke
Powderchoke
Powerjoke
Powersmoke
Powerchoke
Sick Point OH(6.0 PWD)
Maxipads for the Durama
Just plane Driptroit for the 6.2
For the engine I like the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI there ain't any easy pet names for them like all the others.(We just call our Selves BOOBs.Brotherhood Of Oil Burners)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
CGarbee said:
As a friend said to me a while back, you know that they are good engines when folks have derogatory pet names for them, PowerJoke and Cummapart... Anybody know the pet name for the GM engines (6.x or the Isuzu??)

Worse thang is to have a Cummapart in a Freightshaker...

I've got Cummins power in the yard, but I have to admit that my last three project trucks came home on a trailer pulled by a buddies PowerStroke... :)
Duramax = Durabux

Powerstroke 6.0L = 6-leaker or 6.oh-no

:D all in good fun

m139h2otruck

I always thought that the 5.9 would make a great "modern" engine for the M35 and the 8.3 non-elec. would work great in a 5 ton, IF you had the time and money. Otherwise, go with the originals. We run the old water truck with the R6602 gasser all over for our off road watering needs, who cares if it burns a lot of gas. Got less in the total truck than some other outfits have in just the tires and fancy wheels on their Macks, and we still go anywhere we want (offroad). Truck hits 65 mph empty over the road, so its not a big problem to get from one site to the other.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CGarbee said:
OPCOM said:
I want to find some additional headlights to add on. -lights like those on the fenders. I need more light at night, silly as it sounds.
Have you considered chaning out the stock sealed bulbs for Hella E-Code H4 assemblies? It's amazing how much better they are (better reflector, nicer lens, and a variety of wattages available). I run 70/75watt heavy duty burners in mine and toss light about four times as far down the road in high beam, the lights have a nice cutoff in the lens so that even though there is more light going down the road, other driver's don't get blinded.
Also, make sure that they are aimed right (any and all headlights...).

I've got a couple pages on my website that detail the instalation in my M37 and M38 (haven't gotten around to the M35, but it is bassically the same) along with part numbers.
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/headlights.htm

As for engine swaps in the M35, I like the multifuel... I do, however, also like the Cummins that is residing in my M37... :)
I like those new style lamps, and would consider it sincerely even if I stay stock, but I still would like a couple more lights in case one unexpectedly burns out (the law allows 4 headlights) and I like the looks of those fixtures. Are they custom or is there an ID for them? Could they be A3 headlight assemblies?

gtribaldos

this is the one!

OPCOM said:
That pic might be Tom's old truck but i remember it had dual exhaust pipes.

I want to find some additional headlights to add on. -lights like those on the fenders. I need more light at night, silly as it sounds.
Further to my previous message, i realized that what I was asking could create some confussion as to which vehicle i meant... well, it is this (seems to me it is a A3 ) one you posted in this cited message of yours... thanks again

tamangel

a reeeeaeeeealllll dumb question...

OK, back to Diesel 101.. (must have slept thru that class)..

What actually makes some diesels have the ability to be 'multi-fuel' vs others that are single fuel? Why not all multi?

in a 100 words or less, that is :lol:

Mike

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: a reeeeaeeeealllll dumb question...

all diesels are multifuel, but it really depends on how the ip is lubed. some use the fuel and others like the m35 use engine oil for everything other than the actual fuel plunger.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

the headlights on the fenders of 'mellinium reo' were from a m-757. bjorn will know. some modification to mount on angle. would be easy to fab up a set

FreightTrain

Banned

actually,diesels will burn a multitude of fuels but are not true multifuel.What makes a multifuel a multifuel is the special way the fuel is slobbered into the combustion chamber,the design of the intake path to make the vaporizing fuel swirl and mix and the cup in the piston to catch and vaporize the fuel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: a reeeeaeeeealllll dumb question...

tamangel said:
OK, back to Diesel 101.. (must have slept thru that class)..

What actually makes some diesels have the ability to be 'multi-fuel' vs others that are single fuel? Why not all multi?
in a 100 words or less, that is :lol:
Mike
Like Tom said, all diesels are basically multifuel engines, however, the military spec multifuel was designed to run on four different fuels or mixtures of those without any change in power output. The fuels have different BTU values, gasoline the lowest and diesel #2 the higest in the group (see TMs for different fuels). The fuel "density compensator" varies the amount of fuel according to its viscosity so that the power output of the engine stays constant for a given "gas pedal" position. For these fuels the BTU value is directly proportional to the viscosity. For biodiesel or veggie oil, which are lower in BTUs, but higher in viscosity, the fuel density compensator works in the wrong direction, it actually lowers the amount of fuel when it should increase it for a constant power output.
More than 100 words, but ....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: a reeeeaeeeealllll dumb question...

That's why we should take extra special care about keeping our multifuel engines, they were way ahead of its time (snip below from 1959).
I love my multies, in the deuce and the 8x8......

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed but I just don’t understand why anyone would want to swap out their multi for something else.

Parts are cheap, replacement motors are plentiful and they will burn just about anything you can throw at them. They also sound great and if you install a pyro and bump the pump they will run as fast and as hard as the brakes and tires will allow.

As most of you know, I recently installed a govt rebuilt LDS1A in my bobbed deuce. I Only paid like $1,200.00 for the complete engine and it bolted right in! With the bypass filter and pre-lube system that was installed with the new engine it should last as long as I am physically able climb up in the cab.

The LDS has a LOT more power than the old LDT but I'm told you don't have to go the full LDS route to get the added power. I chose to install the new engine because I bought it right and wanted to play with it. If memory serves me right The LDT1D has oil cooled pistons so what’s to say with a pyro you can’t safely (with a little common driving sense) bump the LDT1D up to 175+HP. Do you really need any more? Granted, my truck is bobbed and therefore about 3,000 pounds lighter and is also a hobby horse but I’m telling ya --- that LDS runs like a scalded dog!

I’m looking forward to receiving m-34 tom’s new .69 “GrandDaddyLongLegs” gearing. With my 46” rubber I feel the gearing could increase my mileage to 13+ MPG. Add some used motor oil to that in the summer and the fuel economy doesn’t look too shabby.

It may be fun to talk about but when it comes to throwing out the multi in favor of another engine I say “Horse-Feathers”!

spicergear

I've a 636ci, 225hp, 1160 CAT. It's basically the 3208 with a different IP. Runs great, pulls well, turns plenty of R's. :) ...and just found the rack stop so it may be a 250hp or so engine soon. :D

Crazy_Matt

I too did the h-4 swap- no real need for extra lights now 8)

CGarbee said:
OPCOM said:
Have you considered chaning out the stock sealed bulbs for Hella E-Code H4 assemblies? It's amazing how much better they are (better reflector, nicer lens, and a variety of wattages available). I run 70/75watt heavy duty burners in mine and toss light about four times as far down the road in high beam, the lights have a nice cutoff in the lens so that even though there is more light going down the road, other driver's don't get blinded.
Also, make sure that they are aimed right (any and all headlights...).

I've got a couple pages on my website that detail the instalation in my M37 and M38 (haven't gotten around to the M35, but it is bassically the same) along with part numbers.
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/headlights.htm

As for engine swaps in the M35, I like the multifuel... I do, however, also like the Cummins that is residing in my M37... :)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the lds pistons have oil channels in the piston head. the ldt only sprays oil on the bottom of the piston head. close but lacking for max power. the lds probably can be pushed further than its stock 200 hp since the mil set them conservativly. i feel the ldt can be pushed to 200 hp but performance on hills is still lacking. a 400 hp engine with 650 plus torque conquers the hills wonderfully. a 5.9 cummins is a very good choice for this, but i like V8s so i am looking for a 9 litre international V8 from the mid 80's.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
resurrection ..................from 6 years ago
I have searched, no joy, I am fresh out of search terms.
I want to know what "fuel rate at advertised HP"and 74 mm' stroke
means as on the engine tag pictured

dataplate engine 2.jpg

Is it the total volume presented by the plunger at full stroke?
HH sleeve protect 5 microns or less.gif

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks