• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replay on wiper numbers

Longhunter7

Windshield Wipers!

Gentlemen,

What I am trying to figure out here, is which way to jump with the a new wiper set up!

When I replaced the leaky fuel pump on my M37, I replaced it with a modern fuel pump. The old style pump provided vacuum to run the wipers, the new pump doesn't provide vacuum!

I didn't want to stay with the old vacuum system anyway, and I am planning to go with either an electric wiper, like CGarbee, or install an air compressor and run the M35A2 air wipers.

I like the idea of onboard air like I had in my M35A2C so I can add air horns, but I don't know how difficult the wiper swap will be!? :?:

Any past experience or random thoughts will be welcome! :arrow:

I will post a heads up in the M37 section, so this idea can be followed by both M37 and M35 owners! 8)

Bkoyle

Where is the best place to purchase the original type wiper motors? I need 2. Seems like everyplace is either out of them, or wants too much money.

CGarbee

Windshield Wipers!

Longhunter7 said:
Gentlemen,

I like the idea of onboard air like I had in my M35A2C so I can add air horns, but I don't know how difficult the wiper swap will be!? :?:

8)
The wiper motor and arms from a M35 will bolt right into the holes on the M37 window frame (as we have said, the frames are the same). You could use the existing vacume line for the air supply (blowing instead of sucking) but you would have to add one of the M35 (or similar) wiper air valves so that you could control the air on/off function. Make sure that you have a reliable on board air supply...

The electric setup that I run requires some modification to the frame. The motors are about as obtrusive as the ones from the M35 so the amount of vision blockage is the same... As long as I have electical power, I have wipers. .. Also have "auto park"

Let us know how you go with this one...

bomar76

Gave up on the DoD wiper system (finally) and went the NAPA route.

Here is what BajaPower and I can add to this:
The NAPA 60-750 arms do work just fine, a LOT more spring pressure....they actually wipe the windshield instead of just half assed smearing the water around!

However, while the 11" wiper blades will work.....they can be imporved on considerably.

Cut 1 1/4" off the adjustable wiper arm, and 13" wiper blades work perfectly and wipe a much larger area of windshield! Another benefit are 13" refills are much easier to find later.

14" blades would also work witha little careful fine tuning of length.

FSBruva

B76-

For the 13" wiper blades, are they just standard car wiper blades? Like for back windows and such? Or do they have special numbers?

Matt

bomar76

Just to clarify.....
Both the 11" and 13" are plain old standard wiper blades that you can buy about anywhere...BUT to ose them you have to pitch the impotent DoD arms and switch to the NAPA 60-750 arms....these are the arms that most hot rodders use on their creations as they fit damn near any shaft via the adapters and are adustable for length (and angle).

I needed to cut mine to length to even fit the 11" blades on as they were too long even all the way retracted. Cutting 1 1/4" off enabled me to use the 13" blades.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks