• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repower project for deuce get underway

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Have you figured out what kind o turbos you are after yet? A pair of c turbos would be cool until they got annoying. Imagine what that would sound like!
two angry bees fighting?? no, i need surprisingly small turbos, i am thinking about subaru vf39 rhf4, just need to find a good used pair i can afford.

Jeepsinker

Could maybe use a couple of GM4 turbos and just set the blowoff valve to pop when you want it. Make your own turbo masters. But I have a feeling you are looking for turbos that are small in physical size because of space constraints, not just boost pressure.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
actually, the budget is the biggest issue. otherwise i would just go spend $4000!! good used turbos are in my sights as once they last 6 mths and are taken care of, they will last me a lifetime.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, an update, it runs! of course i had no doubt as i rebuilt it and set / primed it all. less than 1/4 turn on the starter and if jumped to life. ordered a new 3 finger pressure plate for $130, a SAE2 to SAE3 adaptor ring from a cat 3116 to mount the 3053 $75, two rebuilt subaru forester turbos $1500. another week and it may be looking like some high tech engine even though it is 35 years old.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I'm only going after 230 hp, but yes it will probably be overpowered. the 3208 motor was only supposed to be 200 hp, but i'm not sure what rpm it was rated at. it laughed at hills even in 5th which was .66 od. i think i need to add 15cc of fuel to the injection specs. have not played with the pump yet, need to research the rack settings and i don't think it has droop setting.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
just a little more progress. mounted new M-35 clutch and PP to 9.0 flywheel, SAE 2 to 3 adapter ring from Cat 3116 mounts spicer 3053. it may not look it, but this is a complete new trans, every little piece except the case and has the .69 OD installed. got turbos and mounting flanges are being made now.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
progress is slow in winter but manifolds are almost done. now to plumb it up and install it in truck as soon as it starts to get warmer.

101_1384.jpg101_1382.jpg101_1383.jpg

Woodsplinter

Tom, I was just wandering around the site and decided to poke my head in here and see what's going on. I'm not familiar with the truck that's going to be home to this engine so I was wondering if you're concerned about braking? Does the truck already have some kind of upgraded brakes?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Tom, I was just wandering around the site and decided to poke my head in here and see what's going on. I'm not familiar with the truck that's going to be home to this engine so I was wondering if you're concerned about braking? Does the truck already have some kind of upgraded brakes?
just the stock drum brakes with dual full air over hyd control. top speed will still only be 70 mph

Jeepsinker

Tom, that secondary filter base on your engine is the same base that I used as my final on my filter assembly I just built. I pulled mine off of an S1800 before it went to scrap. If you get creative and move that base so you have more room underneath it, you can run a Napa #3422 filter, which is a 2 micron full flow filter with water drain, or you can run a caterpillar # 1R0750, which is 3 micron w/o drain, or Napa #3786, which is 3 micron with drain in the stock location as you have it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Tom, that secondary filter base on your engine is the same base that I used as my final on my filter assembly I just built. I pulled mine off of an S1800 before it went to scrap. If you get creative and move that base so you have more room underneath it, you can run a Napa #3422 filter, which is a 2 micron full flow filter with water drain, or you can run a caterpillar # 1R0750, which is 3 micron w/o drain, or Napa #3786, which is 3 micron with drain in the stock location as you have it.
i may relocate the filters and go to an electric air pump as head room is at a premium

Jeepsinker

Gotcha. Just thought I'd let you know. That base is a 1"-14 thread, there is a multitude of filters that you can use with that base. Many more choices than with other thread sizes. I have a list I did while researching to build my setup. I'll post it later today.