• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reprecussions of Mistreatment

fireball

been there, done that. While this a case of driver abuse I think, you might be suffering something that happened to us. The clutch disc was brand new 20 years ago. It just sat around for 20 years in a parts warehouse and the discs were extremely dry and brittle. My parts guy cheerfully refunded my money for the part. My labor for doing it twice wasn't covered.

zout

DH - I have lots more names I am called and I really do answer to all of them - I am willing to share but I do not sell anything of such great earned value to me. There just has to be more but I am old and cannot think of them - I will try to add them on as I go if that is OK.

Fireball - from what I could see on the disc when I got it - it looked pretty fresh and not dried out - being the newer pads as well - but that is indeed a great point to bring up.

From what I determined he was riding the clutch nearly all the time and literally just fried it. I got another story but no one ever wants to take blame so I had to look in between the lines and the debris is self explanatory as most of us know by looking at the components.

Could not change filters on the M909 and just watched it rain and spent the rest of the day killing off two hornets nest deep in the ground along the garage - I was going to set it on fire but somewhere there was a hint of wisdom telling me NOT to do it (could not locate my fire extinguisher for one) but I really wanted to get in practice for the Ga Rally.

LostTrails

man, any time I see abuse like this, it just really upsets me.

I helped a buddy build his 68 RoadRunner, and she had a 4spd and we built up the 383 healthy but not crazy that was all original. This was a numbers matching 383 4spd RoadRunner. Now, that isn't a "Hemi" or even a 440-6, but still. Anyway, he let his girlfriend drive it, who had said she knew how to drive stick... she revved it too hard, hammed the clutch from first to second and detonated the clutch and worse yet, even cracked the block!! I guess she's too used to Honda Civics...:cry:

long story short, I told him to dump her and get a new one! Instead he married her... I haven't heard from him much since.

o1951

From what I determined he was riding the clutch nearly all the time and literally just fried it. I got another story but no one ever wants to take blame so I had to look in between the lines and the debris is self explanatory as most of us know by looking at the components. .
Riding the clutch don't make sense, unless he was wasted or trying to blow the motor.
If you ever been around a slipping clutch - the smoke and stench is intolerable.
I can't understand how some folks think.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK y'all.
I know the "perp" in this here situation and I can assure you the carnage was caused by lack of experience and was in no way intentional.

He just needs some good ole drivers training before he is turned loose again.:beer:

zout

the first indicator was the pads on the pressure plate - OR what should be there - they are totally gone as well as the throw out bearing toasted. Pulled the flywheel this morning and it looks like one of them metal silhouette fire arms targets that you hear go PING from a couple hundred yards away. We'll see if there is anything of value after its been turned.

Before ya ask on the first issue - no the clutch was not over adjusted when it left here.

zout

New rebuilt clutch came yesterday about noon with the pressure plate and new throw out bearing - left the garage about 4:30 to BBQ a steak Deb got me and the clutch parts all installed - engine bolted to the bellhousing/trans and set in the front motor mounts and aligned.

I have to adjust the linkages this morning before I bolt anything else in and verify all is well in the clutch operation.
Gotta remember I tore the transfer case pan off to see if he blew that up first by the way the owner was describing in in the first place.

Broke something in the bottom of my right foot last Monday after returning from DT Rally and I have no clue what happened - no way I am sitting in a hospital either for hours when I can get other chit done.
I might not be able to finish it all today but I will be very close at the end of the day - finale to come.

zout

Flywheel was just in tolerance when turned.

Got it all together today - went to light a fire in it and the fuel tank was empty - not only empty but has been for some time and ya all know what that means - must have been letting it sit with barely any fuel in it because the fuel filter in line before the carter 24v fuel pump was plugged full of that brown chit - fuel pump had given up the ghost as well. Got my spare in it and leaving the finish till tomorrow night after I pick up a filter. Pulled the Dr seat and pulled the fuel pick up port - ran my magnet in the tank for
about half an hour getting stuff off the bottom.

Once its running - shifting - its out of my hands and its the last time it shows up here. I have all I can do just to finish this up.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take care of the foot! Believe me, when you can't walk right because of a bum foot
it will drive you nuts.
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks