• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rescued a M101

Patattack

So I finally found my trailer a 1953 m101, since it is a 53 I thought it was pretty cool that it was built during the Korean War so that has to say something. The story is that it lived its life in a guard unit in West Virginia and then was given to the civil defense in the early 60s at some put and they put a 30kw gen set on it and it sat in a warehouse for decades until about 5 years ago then sat in the grass. So I was able to save it from returning back to the earth. Haven't torn into it yet got other stuff going on in the garage at the Moment but there's one rust hole by the left wheel well and that's it. Look like the gen set was leaking oil so that saved the bed and the wheels and brakes aren't locked up so everything looks pretty good. But yea another one saved!!! I'll take so more pics when I get a chance I didn't get it unloaded till 530 then had to turn around a return the trailer.

Landbarger

I hope you'll consider saving the Civil Defense insignia on your tailgate. I feel like that's a very interesting part of history that doesn't really have a modern equivalent. For my peers (b. 1985) and those younger than me, we really came of age after the Cold War and during the OEF/OIF eras where DoD and DHS pretty much handle America's problems without a ton of societal participation.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you'll consider saving the Civil Defense insignia on your tailgate. I feel like that's a very interesting part of history that doesn't really have a modern equivalent. For my peers (b. 1985) and those younger than me, we really came of age after the Cold War and during the OEF/OIF eras where DoD and DHS pretty much handle America's problems without a ton of societal participation.

I completely agree!

two.fiveM35

Very nice trailer and so cool that the insignia is in such great shape. I hope you plan on just cleaning it up and leave it as is, it a great trailer with a great story. By the way, I would have never thought about using a uhaul trailer to do a recovery, loved how you got it off.

Patattack

Ok after getting some work done I got the bed all cleaned up, hinges lubed and tires filled only to 25psi I don't trust those tubes they may be from 53!!! But I got some good pics today bed is in perfect shape for its age there's only one rust spot that looks it can easily be fixed with a welder and some sheet metal. The rails and bows need some work the bows need some new wood and the side rails look savable. The PO converted the lights to some newer ones and I'm going to convert it back. I was going to use the period correct taillights but the lenses are too small in my opinion so I'm going to put the modern taillight on so people can see the lights. I do have to agree about the CD decal on the tail gate I'm going to try and save it. It's dry rotted pretty bad I'll have to research on how to seal it. But I did look online and they do make replacement decals if it comes to that. I think I'll leave it in the CD colors, everyone seen a OD green, tan or camo M101, there everywhere, but to see a old civil defense trailer that once was the Cold War that's pretty cool if you ask me and it has a cool story with it to.
IMG_0009.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0021.JPGIMG_0020.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0027.JPG

Attachments

dougco1

Looks real good for its age. The steel back then was better quality than today "higher carbon content" probably recycled from old battleships.

Patattack

Well the weather was so nice Saturday I broke out the pressure washer and started cleaning this thing looks pretty good. As I was washed a fellow member saw me and stopped by small world in this hobby. So the wood cleaned up nice not to bad for 60+ year old wood it will sand down and paint over nice.
IMG_0029.JPGIMG_0030.JPG
I found this plate on here haven't sanded it down yet to uncover what it says we couldn't figure it out but it's on the other side of the trailer a cross from the data plate if anyone knows before I uncover it let me know.
IMG_0031.JPG
Also had time to take the hubs apart grease from the 50s looks pretty good it has a nice vintage varnish type of smell... yum. But bearings look great and so do the shoes and drums after all the spider webs were cleaned off but Those hold down screws cam out very easy hardly any effort very surprised but not putting those back in. Only had one problem, the left side parking brake shaft didn't turn but I took the shaft out, cleaning it up and greased the **** out of it and it all works excellent now. New seals will be coming soon so I can get this thing back together lights put on, tagged and painted if there's time, trying to take it with me to the Aberdeen event but if it doesn't make it o well I got to get m1009 taken care of first the oil cooler is leaking, the gov springs in the pump has had it and I got to move the blowby vent to the valve cover. So if it does make it to the show it will be with out a proper paint job don't want to rush it.
IMG_0032.JPGIMG_0033.JPG

Patattack

Well thank you it is a great find for its age and shape too. I noticed something today, a old CD decal over one of the stars that was most of the way peeled of. Looks like a old CD property decal, what do you guys think. I noticed black ops trailer had one when he got it. Might be the same one. Souldn't be hard to get that decal made online from a custom car decal store.
IMG_0034.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPG

Patattack

Been hard at work on this, man what a project. I fixed the rust hole, scraped, sanded primed and painted and the hard work paid off not a 100% job this is my first job with a spray gun I usually use raddle cans but I don't think I did that bad of a job. I found some decals for it and was able to save the one one the tail gate. All I have left to do is installed the harness and lights, put the new safety chains on cuz for some reason the PO cut the hooks off don't know why and put some tags on it and she's good Togo for now still have the side rack todo but that can wait.
IMG_0048.JPGIMG_0043.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0047.JPGIMG_0046.JPGIMG_0044.JPG
Rust was plan and simple, cut out the bad and weld in the new but can hardly tell I even did anything to it.
IMG_0053.JPGIMG_0054.JPGIMG_0055.JPGIMG_0056.JPGIMG_0050.JPG
Always need a nice cold one when repackaged bearings!!!!

Patattack

I choose MF red from TSC and Beur 383 so I could have some left over todo my m1009 when I ever replace the hood on. But the red color makes it stand out!!!! I used the purple gun from harbor freight not going to lie but I did a pretty good job both in the beur and Majic paint.
IMG_0061.JPGIMG_0064.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0059.JPGIMG_0058.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0062.JPGIMG_0060.JPG
With it all said and done I think this looks sharp I can't wait to see what it looks like with side racks and green tarp one day now I need to find a civil defense truck to match the trailer!!!! Another piece of Cold War history saved!!!

IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0068.JPGIMG_0067.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0065.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks