• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reversing with the transfer case in low range

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all!
I was reading the -10 TM and was reading/learning about the transfer case, how to use it etc and one thing I noticed was in the "speed" section for each gear in each range, Reverse was blanked out in "Low" and it unequivocally stated "DO NOT DRIVE IN REVERSE IN LOW" (or something to the effect).

I've also seen in threads here where people mention to not drive in reverse.

With all that said, I **will not** be driving in reverse in low range, but the technical/troubleshooter side of me wants to know "Why?".

Anyone have a good story etc as to why we don't do that?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I've read the thread(s) where people say they've thrashed or seen thrashed transfer cases.

The answer I'm looking for is the technical reason we can't. I get torque is an issue, but why?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Too much torque for the box so it breaks, very expensive to fix.

see posts 14 +15 in here

Perhaps the following is correct?
1st - 4.17
2nd - 2.21
3rd - 1.66
4th - 1.27
5th - 1.00
Rev - 10.76

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Transmission gearing plus torque converter multiplication plus low range transfer gearing = lots of torque. The center bull gear flexes under this and stresses the case and causes them to crack.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's only a problem if the front drive is engaged. Remove the washer from the transfer case shift rod or turn the rod around so the washer doesn't activate the front drive air switch when the transfer case is put in low. You can engage the front drive with the switch on the dash when you need it.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The center shaft in the box is at an extremely low angle and with torque on the shaft, climbs between the input gear and output, pushing them apart with extreme force, breaking the cast housing. Government in their infinite wisdom put a warning on the dash instead of fixing the problem in the TC (redesign). The closest thing to a fix is stopping the front drive from engaging automatically.

Crf450x

There was a guy on Facebook the other day that blew his transfer case apart in reverse, high, not in 6x6. He said it was wheel hopping but they don’t necessarily have to be in low 6x6.

Desertshark

So as dumb as this may sound... is it OK to go in reverse with the air switch on but case still in high and not in low?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thats kinda what I thought. That and when it's in low (handle all the way up) is when you can make the case explode.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes. There were some folks at smarter than me doing math and from what I gathered (any mistake in the comprehension is totally my fault) is that there is a 10:1 torque ratio multiplication happening, and the cases weren't designed for that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks