• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rhino 5/4 RV

Rhino 5/4

Hey everyone we back over here now hehehe.
Cooling off a bit and we have a camping trip planned in a few weeks so I figured I better start getting the Rhino ready. I'm planning on taking the Cruiser with me so spent most of the day getting the tow bar hooked up and found out that the bull bar is high enough to run the winch line over to hold the tow bar up so I can drive up to the pentel and drop the ring in. Full top going back on and back seat back in so I can put the car seats in. She pulled 60-65 with tail wind no problem. All this is also for prep for later trips when the Roost is ready. 20220828_130221.jpg20220828_125951.jpg20220828_125942.jpg

Rhino 5/4

Forgot to take a picture but last night tried my hand at pulled goose with mashed taters with awjuice and tonight we had duck and goose booby stir fry. All I have ever heard was how nasty duck and goose is.... that stuff we had make you get all warm and fuzzy in the groin region, just sayin!20220904_213148.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot to take a picture but last night tried my hand at pulled goose with mashed taters with awjuice and tonight we had duck and goose booby stir fry. All I have ever heard was how nasty duck and goose is.... that stuff we had make you get all warm and fuzzy in the groin region, just sayin!View attachment 878327
I finally caught the fresh seafood truck that comes thru here every week sat morning and i have hurt myself for 2 straight days ! Sat night was fresh jumbo red shrimp turned into cajun shrimp louis over angel hair with all that crawfish meet stuffed in and last night low country boil outside that caused my shirt buttons turned into flying projectiles ! And tonight seared scallops and broiled snapper will have me down for the count .

Rhino 5/4

Glad you posted that. Am planning to use same tow bar behind my LMTV for towing my Jeep TJ. Granted I would have to put either real high tow bar mounts or create a very long drop pentol hitch for the LMTV to get tow bar that nice and level.
Going to try pulling behind the deuce in a couple of weeks if I can get the rack and RTT mounted. Supposed to take the boys camping again, thought we would take it up a notch if weather is good.
That bar is heavy as hell especially by yourself. My winch will pick it up and hold it so I can drive up and drop it in the hitch. Mine will have a rise up to the deuce hopefully it will be ok.. Also need to see if led trailer lights will work on 24v. I got an extra to check out. If so I'll cut the male off the 105 and make an adapter. Have to rewire the 105 anyway, insulation brittle and crumbles when you touch it.

Attachments

Rhino 5/4

I finally caught the fresh seafood truck that comes thru here every week sat morning and i have hurt myself for 2 straight days ! Sat night was fresh jumbo red shrimp turned into cajun shrimp louis over angel hair with all that crawfish meet stuffed in and last night low country boil outside that caused my shirt buttons turned into flying projectiles ! And tonight seared scallops and broiled snapper will have me down for the count .
Sounds tasty 😋

nerfherder72

Bud, I'm loving this build! New to the forum and have been bouncing several ideas around as far as building an old military vehicle into a camping rig. Would love a deuce but believe that's a bit beyond my mechanical know how. Found a guy in Waxahachie that has a couple of 725s and this build has me inspired. I'd have to come up with a pop top for it, as i'm 6'2" and bending over constantly aint ideal for my aging back. lol I know the previous owner swapped the 6 out for a 350, are you still running the 4 speed? and What was the driving factor for swapping out the axles? I have grand designs but hope to see myself in a CuCv 1008 daily driver and a 725 camping rig in a few years. Oh yeah, i'm in Cleburne, so not that far away.

Rhino 5/4

Greetings and welcome to SS Nerfherder72, Lots to discuss so would love to meet up soon and let you see to make your decisions., I PM my contact info to you. I am still running the 4 speed but planning on swaping in the th400 and case from the CUCV. 4 speed works well but bad shouldiers. Best upgrade was the axles swap, I can run 65-70 no problem now without the tcase getting too hot. It works well for us but outgrowing it quickly. I am planning a M109A3 build because it is taller and allows you to stand up and has a lot more room altho the M35 is a lot more work to drive. There is a 725 built for SEMA that has some sort of pop up contraption they added so I am sure one for real use could be fabricated, Im thinking some sort of clam shell would work well and be easy to waterproof. There is a guy here in Waco that does outstanding upolstry and top work, I am sure he could help us with a design and do the canvas. I am 59 so yes it takes a bit longer to get things done but I think this stuff keeps us moving and out of the grave. Holler would love to meet you in person.

nerfherder72

Best upgrade was the axles swap, I can run 65-70 no problem now without the tcase getting too hot. It works well for us but outgrowing it quickly. .... There is a 725 built for SEMA that has some sort of pop up contraption they added so I am sure one for real use could be fabricated, Im thinking some sort of clam shell would work well and be easy to waterproof. ...... Holler would love to meet you in person.
That makes sense speed wise. I figured that was probably the reason, just didn't know if there was anything inherently wrong with the originals. I saw the SEMA one and was really impressed, don't remember exactly how they raised it but saw they were going to serve beer out of it.

Tried replying to your message, thanks for getting in touch. I am apparently spam though so not allowed to reply. lol I'll try an email shortly.

Rhino 5/4

After the last come apart I decided to reach out and see if I could find some tires with newer date codes (mine were 03-05 at best). Many thanks to @fuzzytoaster for helping us out. Got some really nice tires and upgraded the eye candy to 24 bolt wheels. We swapped out while the boys entertained themselves in the water hole in the 50 degree sun. "POPS.... I don't want to be wet any more.." You think!

Attachments

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the last come apart I decided to reach out and see if I could find some tires with newer date codes (mine were 03-05 at best). Many thanks to @fuzzytoaster for helping us out. Got some really nice tires and upgraded the eye candy to 24 bolt wheels. We swapped out while the boys entertained themselves in the water hole in the 50 degree sun. "POPS.... I don't want to be wet any more.." You think!
Good to see you got some good tires. kudos to @fuzzytoaster !

That last photograph is just so cute it is funny!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see now that the working conditions for folks under 3 ft seem to be less than adequate and as their representative i will be instructing them for an RED TAG !!! Work stoppage order till conditions change ! After inspection there were no ice cream wrappers nor push up tubes or cookie boxes present anywhere on the jobsite nor proper wet/cold weather gear provided not to mention a dry change room on the jobsite! And OSHA has been notified of no hand / safety rails around said water hole/workplace nor hard hats or safety vest ! So consider POPS INC .LLC. UNDER REVIEW FOR UNSATISFACTORY WORK CONDITIONS !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks