• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rhino 5/4 RV

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on your new furniture!

Sometimes we just need things like that.
Makes a nice conversation starter too :cool:
And the first time someone comes over get you a big piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around your head like a reeseces kisses candy when you show off the new missle in the living room

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes bacon does not need anything to help its taste HA
NO when i become rich and famous you will find on my jet and in every room of my mansion/ castle /nudy bar a plate of warm crisp hickory smoked bacon and butterd homeade biskits and orange marmalade perseves maybe rasberry as well since i will be rich what the hell!!!!!

Rhino 5/4

Saving a little history today. She is quite beat up but what would you expect for being in a playground for the last 58 years. Going to bust the pad off and clean her up and repaint as she was when issued. Will need assistance if anyone would have a source. Looks like yellow under the nose cone but not sure how far down it went. 14" AP dummy practice round is what she appears to be. All #1500 or so of her. Going to fabricate a cradle and put a picture of USS Texas. We can only imagine if she was on board during Normandy and the shelling of Okinawa or even as far back as WW1. Maybe cleaning will reveal more about a date. Did find BB stamped in the brass nose cone. 20211120_114912.jpg20211120_105252.jpg20211120_101742.jpgScreenshot_20211118-185505_Google.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wondering if this is close enough 🤔 View attachment 851207
That looks a lot like the paint scheme that USS North Carolina BB-55 had on the 16 inch guns. I believe the color scheme in the picture above is called the "HC round". There is a solid blue round that is a dummy or targeting round. There are HC rounds that are also painted exactly like that but a more "383 green" color too. Solid white paint is for Nuke shells on the four Iowa Class battlewagons.

I stumbled across shell markings from the National Museum of the Pacific War, Fredericksburg, TX
Only problem is that it doesn't to anything except show some colors on shells... :-(

Color Coded 16inch Shells Photo by Jim Steinhart, (Ref TXJFN413).jpg

If we could find the right old guy - a Gunners Mate - we could get the real information. Could be Vietnam vintage Iowa Class person or as late as 1991 in the Gulf.

Rhino 5/4

I found this googling around. WW2 Naval artillery shell color designations but not sure if it's for the big rounds. Pictures of the shells on the Texas deck and below deck are all green. Hoping when I get her on the ground and cleaned up I can find some shell markings on the bottom. I didn't see anything at first glance when we were loading her. I may make a trip to Fredericksburg. Not too far from me. I forgot about that down there and been a long while since I have been there. Nothing like a good excuse to go to the hill country and to a museum. Gun_Data_Projectile_Markings_pic.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found this googling around. WW2 Naval artillery shell color designations but not sure if it's for the big rounds. Pictures of the shells on the Texas deck and below deck are all green. Hoping when I get her on the ground and cleaned up I can find some shell markings on the bottom. I didn't see anything at first glance when we were loading her. I may make a trip to Fredericksburg. Not too far from me. I forgot about that down there and been a long while since I have been there. Nothing like a good excuse to go to the hill country and to a museum. View attachment 851210
I'm not certain, but I think that picture is for artillery shells - only because the "Bourrelet" isn't on the 14 inch and 16 inch Navy guns. I would think the coloring standards for both would be the same. But I don't know that for sure.

Maybe as we keep searching, something better will turn up...

Third From Texas

I found this googling around. WW2 Naval artillery shell color designations but not sure if it's for the big rounds. Pictures of the shells on the Texas deck and below deck are all green. Hoping when I get her on the ground and cleaned up I can find some shell markings on the bottom. I didn't see anything at first glance when we were loading her. I may make a trip to Fredericksburg. Not too far from me. I forgot about that down there and been a long while since I have been there. Nothing like a good excuse to go to the hill country and to a museum. View attachment 851210
Oh, now I have some ideas for painting mine.

*btw: if it shows up on the national news someday with a bunch of triggered people pointing at it...you guys never read this and never heard of me

;p

20211121_135644.jpg

Rhino 5/4

Alrighty then enough fun and games.... back at the modification facility we have decided that the bad throw out bearing will need the rear-end swapped to make things easier hehehe. Old one out new one under frame and waiting on perches and ubolts. Will get a drive shaft relocation kit and add that as well being it will be a while for the TH400 and case goes in. 20211202_192828.jpg20211202_194916.jpg20211202_201631.jpg20211202_201558.jpg20211202_204259.jpg20211202_211715.jpg20211202_212618.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrighty then enough fun and games.... back at the modification facility we have decided that the bad throw out bearing will need the rear-end swapped to make things easier hehehe. Old one out new one under frame and waiting on perches and ubolts. Will get a drive shaft relocation kit and add that as well being it will be a while for the TH400 and case goes in. View attachment 852238View attachment 852239View attachment 852240View attachment 852241View attachment 852242View attachment 852243View attachment 852244
Heres to all the folks that build em in the driveway !!!!!!! Gorrila (builders) Fighters ! looking good

Rhino 5/4

Big DANA is sitting inplace and she is standing in her new slippers. XMLs look bigger and fatter but when the front gets the Wranglers no one will know any different. She sits a little on her @$$ since I added bumper, tire rack and fuel tank so I added an inch block to level her back out. Need to put in shaft relocation kit and measure for new shaft and brake lines. 20211210_195634.jpg20211210_195608.jpg20211210_195511.jpg20211210_195456.jpgGoing to strip the body off the cucv tomorrow and get ready to pull the running gear out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks