• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RK's Deuce #2

Rkrug

Well it looks like I'm a member of the deuce club once again. After being forced to sell my first deuce to pay for other vehicle repairs a few years ago, I have been wanting to get another ever since, well today was the day. Won what appears to be an m109a3 without the box on the back. Planning to pick it up next Tuesday, cant wait to hear the screaming multi fuel again!
61QSCI16307010.jpg61QSCI16307010C.jpg

Jeepsinker

There is a small chance, like I said, but it is really just a light connected to a switch on the park brake lever. They were added to many single circuit trucks as well. I just finished rebuilding the dash harness in one last night, save for the blinker switch pigtail.

Rkrug

You will enjoy that truck with a nice (military) radio machine shop camping body on it for events etc. Nice.
Still not sure what I want on the back, toying with the idea of having both a bed and box/shelter and just swapping them as needed.

Rkrug

Went and got the truck today, checked every thing over and topped off the coolant gave it a jump off some batteries and she started right up, engine did not miss a beat on the five hour drive back and compared to my previous deuce seems to have a lot more power, did not have to down shift going up any hills. About an hour from home I started smelling a weired smell and it ended up being the batteries boiling over, alternator is putting out 31 volts at the batteries so I probably have a bad regulator, batteries the truck came with were junk so no loss there. Will update with some more pictures when I get a chance.

Rkrug

Well got a little more time to wrench on the truck today, messed with the alternator some more and then it started letting out the "magic smoke" so that pretty much tells me what I need to do there. Also found that the FDC is still connected so I'm going to get some new hose and get it bypassed. Also wondering what the consensus is on weather the flame heaters are worth keeping or not , last truck did not have one.
Id really like to know what genius thought it was a good idea to hang a block heater from the turbo charge air pipe clamp?
20151203_114412.jpg20151203_110030.jpg20151203_105549.jpg20151203_092600.jpg20151203_092511.jpg20151203_092454.jpg

Last edited:

Rkrug

Got a few more things done, spent a half hour blasting away at the motor with the pressure washer to get some of the grime off, then got the FDC bypassed, got the flame heater removed and lines patched and pluged for it, and remounted the block heater. Also found that both of the shocks appear to be shot because they are both completely loose and rattling around. Also got all the fuel filters replaced, need to get a spin on kit ordered so that I can get the oil changed.
20151209_193030.jpg20151209_154453.jpg

Rkrug

Big chunk of really hard dried mud, theres one just like it on the other side, going to have to get them out.

Rkrug

Did some running around and collecting of parts today, made a trip out to BFR metals and got a new alternator and some other parts, also stopped by a friends who had bought an air ride seat from Glen awhile back and never put it in his truck, worked a deal that I'll service his truck out for him for the seat, so I also got a nice seat. To the bad news, I think I am finally going to accept the fact that I have blown head gaskets, when I first picked up the truck it was smoking from between the heads, I just thought it was some crud burning off, truck has never over heated, but every time I open the hood there is oil on it right over where the heads meet:-(. https://youtu.be/Uhak7bDIU_8

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck Lots of really great potential there! As far as the flame heaters are concerned there are two really good reasons to have BOTH type starting aids on your truck! First the flame heater is truly a wondrous invention by somebody and I am not sure I have ever used a better starting aid at least from the Deuce application I live in ND and would never be without mine! Is there maintenance involved with them YES, they have been know to leak a little at times, or so I have heard, I have never had a problem with any of mine! The type of engine heater that you can plug in and heat the engine that way is the best but I would seriously consider dumping the tank heater for a 600 watt Unite that fits into the block and resides directly in the coolant of the block, they take a little time to work, I would plan on 3 hours after you plug it in to completely heat up the engine, they are wonderful AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ELECTRICITY AVAILABLE!!!!! There are time when the nearest receptacle to plug your block heater in is 7 miles away, GOOD LUCK with that, and that is where the flame heater comes in to save you a very long cold walk! They both work and there is a very good reason to have both in good working condition!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks