• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

road draft tube / slobber tube

Tackettr

My deuce currently has no tube on it and is making a mess on my starter and front axle. I did a search and saw that I need a 1 1/4" ID tube about 3' long and NAPA has them. My question is, what type of tube am I asking for? I'm expecting the usual questions that have no relevance to my application. What year, model, AM/FM, automatic, ect. ????:evil: So do I ask for a heater hose, radiator hose, just what do I ask for?? Thanks a million, I planning on my first long road trip this weekend. :-D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hose that is oil compatible or oil resistant.

Mine from Napa wasn't cheap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tell them what size you want and the length. It will not need to hold pressure, so the cheapest hose will work. Radiator hose will work, heck you could even go to home cheapo and get some hose off a spool. All it does is direct the slobber down below the axle.

Merc1973

I'm looking to replace my slobber tube as well. Going to Atlanta Rubber and Hydrualics.

Can any one confirm it's 1 1/4" length 3'?
I hope it is, I just picked up a 3' stick of it from NAPA since My deuce was without one, making quite a mess on the axle:

IMAG0679_zpsafcedbeb.jpg

Last edited:

Terexts

It's been blowby on the engines I've seen. We get a lot of dusted engines at work. We have engines with liner polishing now, causing oil consumption and sometimes high blowby.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, both and the fact that all engines designed in the 50s vented their bases to the atmosphere with no regard to the environment.

Also the simple fact that almost 500 cubic inches of air is cycled/swirled every revolution in the base.

Flyingvan911

Mine drips a little drop out of the slobber tube now and then. In the winter you can see fumes slowly creep out but not puffing. Just very slowly drifting away.

3rdmdqm

I went to the local hardware store and picked up some cheap tubing off the reel. It is going on 5 years now and no issues with deterioration. If you want to spend the extra $$$ on oil and fuel resistant hose at ridiculous prices, have at it. It's not necessary. Any cheap hose will work.

JasonS

Yes, both and the fact that all engines designed in the 50s vented their bases to the atmosphere with no regard to the environment.

Also the simple fact that almost 500 cubic inches of air is cycled/swirled every revolution in the base.
Many gas engines had positive crankcase evacuation systems at least as far back as the 1940s. This was the first environmental control implemented and started in California.

Terexts

Most diesels still vent their blowby or crankcase pressure into the atmosphere. You can have blowby, but there is a point where it gets to be excessive. Engine manufacturers will have blowby specs for their engines.

ATPTac

Mine drips a decent amount, I haven't actually seen it dripping out but I do see the slight mess on my axle from it (my tube is only about 1 to 1-1/2 feet). If you want to see a ton of blow by, ask wb1895 about his. When he pulled up a while back I thought he had his exhaust routed to dump under the truck :shock:. But he's planning on doing an engine overhaul this spring. Which I think I might go help out with, it'd be a good learning experience seeing how I've never had one of these engines apart.

Merc1973

When it was running last I did not see anything dripping or much smoke coming out. However it looks like it never had a tube on there to begin with and the oil mess has been there for a long time, just not fresh.

skinnyR1

Mine slobbers and puffs constantly, although I have only had my truck for a couple of months, and it has rarely been above freezing. It puked out a good amount of oil from the tube on my initial drive back from purchasing the truck, 250 miles down the highway at 2400 rpm. I am not sure how I feel about the amount of oil or vapor coming from the tube just yet, as the truck is still new to me.

I figure maybe it will clear up as the truck is driven, as it had been previously sitting for so many years. I put on the 3ft extension tube, the same one posted in a picture up above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks