• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Speed 900 Series Truck?

Scarecrow1

I have the 1400x20,s and I have read every thing I could that was available on these tires I do not run them over 50MPH. These tires were designed for off road use more than on road. They are singles so when they blow there is no backup it isn't pretty and have been linked to many fatalities. Just because you can run faster doesn't mean you should........Be safe .....

Hooper

I have the 1400x20,s and I have read every thing I could that was available on these tires I do not run them over 50MPH. These tires were designed for off road use more than on road. They are singles so when they blow there is no backup it isn't pretty and have been linked to many fatalities. Just because you can run faster doesn't mean you should........Be safe .....
I have been looking every where for info on these tires. I could not find much. I did learn that the Goodyear is a 5 ply and the Michelin is a 4 ply. The only chart I found for Goodyear Truck tires said that 55 mph was the limit only when fully loaded. If you have a source on this subject I would love to study it.

FUBIJAR

Don't speed, its just not as cool as some guys think, in fact it is bad for the whole hobby... If you are, and sometimes it sure is hard not to, Hit the brakes hard at a decent clip in a big parking lot, and see what it feels like, So you don;t join the few hundred soldiers that bounced off the road, ABS is supposed to make it more safe, But the Military as a whole feels these trucks are safe at 45 ! Just remember if you or anyone wrecks one over speeding it is 100% driver error period. And foolish. Good luck, awesome truck, i feel bad I got beat to whats a 900 series truck :( All the best with her !!:)

Like said about the tires. You just do not know if any tires were low or empty for a few days, weeks , months damaging a side wall and BANG! :) 45 seems a small price to pay for safety, and they look and feel much cooler not speeding by, Most understand how foolish it is...
I have a Brother in law trucker who has owned and operated more rigs than I can count over the thirty years I have known him, he has hauled everything at one point or another from containers, oversize loads with lowboys,huge concrete pipes and he is currently hauling gasoline out of the Philly area. When I told him about buying the M923, the only word of caution he gave me was to stay away from the Super Singles and stick with the 1100 R20 10 wheels. He feels that the singles are best used for off road and according to his trucker buddies they do not like them for any wet or snowy conditions. Also he mentioned that a blowout with a SS can be a real bad experience vs a blowout with the 1100 R20's that has the other supporting tires. To each there own but I stuck with his advice and purchased the M923 with the 1100 R20's.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking every where for info on these tires. I could not find much. I did learn that the Goodyear is a 5 ply and the Michelin is a 4 ply. The only chart I found for Goodyear Truck tires said that 55 mph was the limit only when fully loaded. If you have a source on this subject I would love to study it.
Since the speed limit is a maximum 55 mph on state roads and 60 mph on posted interstate highways for trucks here in michigan , I don't see much reason to exceed the manufacturers 55 mph speed rating.

Hooper

Since the speed limit is a maximum 55 mph on state roads and 60 mph on posted interstate highways for trucks here in michigan , I don't see much reason to exceed the manufacturers 55 mph speed rating.

What if I'm passing, I like to pass all that slow traffic. Manufacturers put limits on things for liability reasons. And for the record......I eat expired food too.

Last edited:

GHall

What if I'm passing, I like to pass all that slow traffic. Manufacturers put limits on things for liability reasons. And for the record......I eat expired food too.
That's pretty funny.. I understand what you're asking about the loaded thing but I have never heard of two different speed ratings (loaded vs unloaded). That's not to say there isn't, I just haven't seen it. I think a speed rating is a speed rating. I'd sure hate to have a blowout like Triple C did on the front. I believe I'd need new shorts after that, not to mention the person next to me..

Hooper

That's pretty funny.. I understand what you're asking about the loaded thing but I have never heard of two different speed ratings (loaded vs unloaded). That's not to say there isn't, I just haven't seen it. I think a speed rating is a speed rating. I'd sure hate to have a blowout like Triple C did on the front. I believe I'd need new shorts after that, not to mention the person next to me..

I think a front end blowout at any speed in traffic would be bad.

Triple C

I think a front end blowout at any speed in traffic would be bad.
You are exactly right, it is bad. I had a few front end blowouts when I was a commercial driver but those tires did not come apart like the one did on my 925. The thing to remember is.... it was at least mostly, if not completely, my fault. I didn't follow basic safety rules. When I picked the truck up, I didn't have a tire pressure gage so I couldn't set the proper tire pressure. I didn't take the time to find and read the tm to know what the tire speed ratings were. I didn't read the speed rating ON the tire and I over drove the tire. Had I taken the time to do those things - follow the guidelines set out by the people that made the tire - it may well NOT have blown. So, drive how you want but remember, that puts you in my camp and you saw what happened. As for me, I learned MY lesson.

Scarecrow1

Well to answer the question most of my knowledge of these tires is from reading not one but many threads and articles posted on here. What some are for getting to factor into this discussion is that the statistics are based on the tire being NEW!. Most of the tires on these trucks could have been put on in the last century. To say what is a safe speed is really meaningless in comparison of the tires age and condition. I will still stand on my original 50 mph speed to stay on the safe side. The way I see it is one it's not likely I am going anywhere in the 5ton that I need to get there that fast. Five mph is a little sacrifice for better control and shorter stopping distance. If I am starting to hold up traffic I will speed up until the bottle neck thins out . Most of the roads I live on and near are four lane anyway so I'm usually good...........

Triple C

Mike you make a great point, age and condition is everything. There is no way of knowing how many times these tires were flat or driven underinflated which really does render the specs invalid. That is an important point to remember - thanks.

Hooper

Mike you make a great point, age and condition is everything. There is no way of knowing how many times these tires were flat or driven underinflated which really does render the specs invalid. That is an important point to remember - thanks.

I can tell you that if I had bought an A2 and the tires were old and had some use then I would be in the 55 camp. I would end up buying all new rubber at some point.