• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip DFW to Chester IL DEC 26-JAN 9

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today we started removing the wheels. We also removed the seats, replaced the cab mount bolts after removing the last of the tool box rack brackets. Cleaned out the cab,was pretty dirty under the seats, went and sourced a very major component, and cleaned down the sacrificial lighting tower generator set to the machine and frame (pics) so I can tomorrow bring out the wiring and load bank it before going further. The leftovers of this are four 1000 watt metal halide arc lamps and ballasts. I took care to do this so the wiring is easy to connect back up. Huge credit to 54Reo and his dad Al for their help.This would not be going anywhere otherwise.

While sourcing the as-yet-un-named major component we took some pics in the salvage yard. That place is truck heaven.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today marked some good progress. Removed the 16.00x20 tires and LAV rims from Brian's wrecker and put the 11.00x20's from the M818 on it for the time being. They are not that great, have some checking, but he wanted rid of the 52" tires.

If we are lucky Gimyrobb will show up Monday. Tomorrow we will be tacking up something new to the ol'M818 that should be of great interest and there will be plenty more pictures. I also need to go pick up 4 new batteries.

This really should not have been titled so much as a road trip but a super cool project.

Today's pics- the wheels,also note the truck was originally tan..

One thing to pay heed to: in the pics of the Budd nuts, we show that there is some damage to a few of them. I have plenty of spares. The point is that until I thoroughly cleaned up the nuts, the damage was not readilly visible.This is a most important point- to always clean and inspect any hardware being re-used. Even the the old nuts held the wheels on just fine, there is no excuse to re-use ones with unacceptable damage. The pictures show one that is really bad - trashed that one. Two that are usable, with maybe 1/4"of one thread mising. The new ones from Ryder can be seen to have shorter external threads but this was not an issue with the thicker rims. The Budd inner studs fit fine on the front hub, but will nor screw on all the way on the rears due to the rear studs thread stopping before the hub surface.

So far, so good.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, good progress Patrick! Had to go back to this thread to see what was up...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/39051-m818-m109-body.html

That is exactly right, plus a couple more items to increase the functionality and ease of use. We have spent a lot of time planning it out except a few items which could not be planned precisely because we did not have everything in one place. This is why I am really glad to have Brian's help and his expertise for getting things to fit together now that most of it is in one place. In the end this should be a good build thread but the fat lady hasn't started singing yet!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, on the connector thing, I had an exact same situation on the 8x8 and ended up cutting the wires and splicing them back together (crimp plus heatshrink and finally a vinyl tape wrap). The splices were staggered for an even wire bundle.

To do it the "correct" way, the rubber plug, or grommet, is moved back, but it's not easy and once out, the pins/sockets will have to be removed one at a time (there are tools for this).

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a NOS harness for the M48 and it had one of the plugs taken apart. They are a PITA when new to put together. I can't imagine taking one apart and putting back together a 20 year old one. If you are time limited splice it, and like cranetruck said spread out the splices.:wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to run the harness through the back of the 108 instead of under the back edge of the bed. I ended up cutting the entire plug off, making the metal tags for each wire and putting packards male and female, on each wire so I can unplug it in the future if I need to. Was a PITA. Since Bjorn last mentioned solderless non-insulated crimps and heatshrink, I've invested in both and stored my soldering supplies.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up easily removing the socket by trying brute force (what did I have to lose?).. It can also be put back together, even 20 years old, as I did exactly that once it was free of the frame hole. It has to be twisted to fit back in, and then it is easy to hold it in place while screwing the nut back on, by using a trailer plug to lock it in place. I am surprised at myself. huh. maybe it was late, maybe I was tired, but I decided to hit it with a drift and hammer.

video here:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbE_fsJ9WBI[/media]So, I hope this little trick helps.

Stan came by today and helped us do some work, really appreciated that!! We changed out the windshields and hardtop from the M35 to the M818 and countless other tasks.

Since the frame was exposed, all rusty places (very few on this clean machine) were treated to a liberal application of zinc based prmer. I have used this stuff before ad it really does work. New batteries were installed. Not 6TLs as NAPA ridiculously wanted $250 each, but four 650CCA car batteries. I think they will do fine. Some heavy duty trailer wiring was bought from NAPA, having 4 conductors and an outer covering enclosing them to protect from abrasions. This will extend the lights at the back of truck when done. The driver side fuel tank was removed and the brackets modified and the quiet water cooled generator set was mocked up. The dynamo will extend through the drivers step and the whole thing will be enclosed. This is a lot of fun so far. There is a lot more to do!

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No saftey chain on that mag drill!? Someone doesn't like their tools very much, do they? Is Stan going to be around next week? Been a while since I've seen him. Did he bring 16-21 with him?:twisted: Are you running hubs flipped or are the staying in dualed configuration?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drill hasa safety cable, just not visible in the images! Stan came alone. I don't understand the question. Dualed? not with those tires. - -hubs do not need flipped.

Happy new Year!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, are you stripping your M35A2? Are you gonna drag it home or is it part of the deal? Inquiring minds want to know.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, are you stripping your M35A2? Are you gonna drag it home or is it part of the deal? Inquiring minds want to know.

The shelter and diesel genset on the M35 truck are planned to be removed and traded as part of the deal but the truck itself will be complete and won't be stripped. It is planned to leave it here and put it up for sale.

At this point however if someone wanted the whole truck as equipped, sans all or part of the radio gear, it could always be discussed with Brian and myself. I will send a PM with my cell #.

54reo

No saftey chain on that mag drill!? Someone doesn't like their tools very much, do they? Is Stan going to be around next week? Been a while since I've seen him. Did he bring 16-21 with him?:twisted: Are you running hubs flipped or are the staying in dualed configuration?

The magbase drill was tied off to the frame, but it is difficult to see from that angle. Good eye though!

Stan will be back this weekend for a little bit I believe. He was sans 16-21 this time.

No duals. No flipped hubs.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah if that thing fell on the floor is is gonna crack the concrete.. must weigh 60 lbs or more.. We are trying not to break anything expensive. Maybe post pics of some broken tools later!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks