• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rock Sliders on the Humvve

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I had to replace my R/F fender due to some trail damage
I decided to get a set of rock sliders, they came in and seem to be pretty sturdy with all hardware included
But being who I am , decide to order grade 8 bolts with washers an self locking nuts, and I chose the black bolts
The reason if to deter cross contamination from the aluminum & steel
The paint i used is a ceramic finish for the bolt heads and tread, once dried I also added Teflon tape to them
I did a dry run on the rock sliders, drilling all of the holes and bolting them into place
I then removed them to remove all of the aluminum shaving
Once the body was cleaned I applied a fresh coat of Carc 383 to the body and to the holes made to support the rock sliders
I also sprayed the inside of the rock sliders with an healthy coat of black Plasti Dip
I also used aluminum 2" flat stock to make 2" square washers to distribute the pull of the bolts when hitting something
And finally added some decals.

IMG_1949.JPGIMG_2115.JPGIMG_2116.JPGIMG_2119.JPGIMG_2121.JPG

BLK HMMWV

I would just call those jack rails .
They look nice.
The original jack rails and skid plates do the same thing as well as protect the floor a little bit.
BH

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good enough for me, as along as they protect the fenders, I'm good with it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem is if you hit something solid you’re just going to bend the aluminum where they’re mounted. Really should be attached to the frame for real protection.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it could be called the rocker panel. But the damaged was on the R/F fender. I would think that the rocker panels are more part of the door entry or sill Like I said just trying to prevent future ****age. Not a big deal just time and $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawdog734

How thick are they? The real ones used on the GMV's are 3/8" steel, which may be overkill as a jack rail/cowl protection - but yours look a good bit thinner.

I've got 86humv's rails on my GMV and they have been outstanding as well.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How thick are they? The real ones used on the GMV's are 3/8" steel, which may be overkill as a jack rail/cowl protection - but yours look a good bit thinner.

I've got 86humv's rails on my GMV and they have been outstanding as well.
Mine are 3/16. Should be good enough for what I do. Mostly trail riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rails are 1/4" steel.
I saw some MSG rails, and they were 1/4" steel.

BLK HMMWV

Well since you all are talking about how big yours are.:naner:
Mine are 1/4" as well but where the 3 studs are that the steps and cans connect too there is an extra 1/4" thick plate .
Also I used the backing plates from the M1114 armor inside the vehicle and bolted into that to help stiffen up the rocker panels instead of just bolting through the aluminum body.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good install
I also added inside backing plates, but used aluminum to lessen the cross contamination
If you get a chance post a picture so I can see your installation from the inside

Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks