• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rockwell axle question

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1953 dated axle does not have a vent. Anyone ever added one? Guess the older units did not have a vent.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some were located on the axle housing, others on the drop-in.

No vent will cause it to blow oil constantly.

DG

PS...Your '53 axles are Timkens, long before Rockwell took over the building of them.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you very much. I am about to go through the hubs, replace the boots and seals. I have found conflicting information on whether the inner seal is different with the ball and claw axle shafts. Anyone know for sure ? I haven’t taken anything apart at this point but fairly certain I will have the older style .

I want to check my vent first though. I had a small leak of GO before and knew it needed to be addressed. The other day I pulled the truck out and operated the crane for about (m108. )30 minutes. When I backed the truck back into its parking spot within maybe an hour it blew out quite a bit of gear oil. Had been sitting in place for maybe 2 years .

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
removed all 3 today and cleaned them. None appeared functional. Caked and gummed up. Over the next few weeks/months plan to do a complete axle service on all 3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks