• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rosscommon 12 volt conversion opinion

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 question. How do you jump start other military stuff now?
You dont. You no longer have 24 volts.
And that may be the very reason he did it, so that all of his vehicles are compatible. While it's true you can jump both 12 and 24V stuff with the CUCV, it's harder to jump the 24V CUCV with only 12V stuff. Doable but requires more stuff. I need 24V as I have more than one MV (and slave cables) but for the guy with just his CUCV and other civy stuff, the 12V might be right for him.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do, quite often.

95% of the time, I use my 1008, it always starts!

The only way I can think of theoretically making it possible to use a cucv that has been converted to 12 volts able to supply 24 volts to the nato port would be to keep two batteries in parallel (12v)to power the truck and then having separate wiring to the batteries in a series (24v) to power the nato port. I'm no expert so I dont even know if that would work.

MarcusOReallyus

Doghead starter relay conversion - a must
Everything else - opinions

At least that's the impression I've gotten reading these forums. I did the starter relay mod, but the glow plug thing and the 12V conversion advantages seem dubious. Sine mine is working great I see little reason to change what chevy has done.

Don't blame it on Chevy. They didn't think it up. The military did it so that the vehicle would be jump-start compatible with other military vehicles. It's a kludge of a system, and will eventually cost you.

Nate475

When I said better I meant slight, there's a slight improvement in acceleration. I haven't driven it enough to calculate any fuel economy increase yet. Apparently the change is due to one less alternator which bogged the motor ever so slightly. Trust me, it's still a dog on the highway and will be until I get my banks turbo installed.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a thread about converting to 12v , it is not a discussion about A/Cs for the CUCVs.

Want to talk about A/C units? start a new thread. The A/C posts will be deleted, so don't be offended.

M1008driver

I think you did the right thing. I too converted my 1985 M1008 to 12 volt using the Roscommon method. I could not afford to get stuck in the backwoods of Montana during the winter as it could become life threatening. One of the good things I found is now I can buy parts over the counter and some have lifetime warranties. As far as no one can help me. That only applies to electrical and I do not need help as I understand the system better. My truck has started all winter with no problems.

Each person must consider the advantages and disadvantages of converting. I will never go back.

As far as no one can help me. That only applies to electrical and I do not need help as I understand the system better.
Each person must consider the advantages and disadvantages of converting. I will never go back.
It would seem that MORE people would be able to help you now. You just can't get a jump start through a 24v slave connector, and what are the odds of running into that when stranded? A military truck could still jump start your truck with standard 12v cables from his front battery. I don't really see a downside to a 12v conversion.

I like my 24v system and plan on sticking with it. However, if I were facing an expensive repair I would definitely consider changing it to a conventional 12v system

I think he was referring to getting troubleshooting help when there's a glitch in the system.
Perhaps he was but I still think more people would be able to help if that were the case. Maybe not from this forum but almost everyone is more familiar with a standard 12v system than these oddball twin alternator 24v zombie hunting vehicles.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps he was but I still think more people would be able to help if that were the case. Maybe not from this forum but almost everyone is more familiar with a standard 12v system than these oddball twin alternator 24v zombie hunting vehicles.
Interesting hypothesis, but how many people know what a Rosscommon wiring method is? If they can't figure out how a 24v system works, what makes you think that they can help with a modified 12v wiring job?

Not saying that they can't help with the 12v part, but the actual wiring is very different that the civvy stuff. That is why we see sooooo many hack jobs on the trucks coming from GSA forestry trucks.

You would not believe the number of requests for help that I get from members wanting to figure out their "new" trucks "modified" wiring jobs.

If it was done with the Rosscommon method, yes I can help quickly. Anything else it may be days or weeks. And I know the wiring.

Last edited:
Ok, pointless to argue since I've never looked into the Rosscommon procedure but also seems pretty common to read about guys getting their 24v systems worked on somewhere and really getting things hacked up by folks that don't know the 24v system. Even more reports of garages refusing to touch them in the first place. (where they just did you a favor right off the bat) Plus trying to get an emergency 24v starter out in the middle of nowhere?

I guess M1008driver's statement says it all. "Each person must consider the advantages and disadvantages of converting."

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't say that the conversion wasn't a good idea for some people. Just that finding someone to help troubleshoot a truck with modified wiring is harder to do.

This is a great thread for debating the pros and cons of the conversion. The mods (me) have shutdown other threads where the debate hi-jacked someone elses thread. This is the first thread I have seen devoted just to the modification.

Let me ask these questions. This is for everyone. No need to respond unless you want to.

How many hours have you spent learning the 24v system? How many hours have you spent helping someone troubleshoot an issue with thier 24v system? How many hours have you spent helping someone figure out someone elses "modified" system? How many hours have you wasted helping someone work on an issue just to find out that the system has been hacked up? (modified without knowing how to do it).

I'll be the first to answer - hundred if not thousands over the last 5 years. Haven't been paid a penny for it either.

What do you think a shop would charge for that?

Last edited:
I didn't say that the conversion wasn't a good idea for some people. Just that finding someone to help troubleshoot a truck with modified wiring is harder to do.

This is a great thread for debating the pros and cons of the conversion. The mods (me) have shutdown other threads where the debate hi-jacked someone elses thread. This is the first thread I have seen devoted just to the modification.

Let me ask these questions. This is for everyone. No need to respond unless you want to.

How many hours have you spent learning the 24v system? How many hours have you spent helping someone troubleshoot an issue with thier 24v system? How many hours have you spent helping someone figure out someone elses "modified" system? How many hours have you wasted helping someone work on an issue just to find out that the system has been hacked up? (modified without knowing how to do it).

I'll be the first to answer - hundred if not thousands over the last 5 years. Haven't been paid a penny for it either.

What do you think a shop would charge for that?
Yep,we're all on the same page here. And yes, good discussion since the OP is asking for opinions.

I am slowly learning more about the 24v system. In my previous life I was a certified mechanic at a Ford dealership and the normal 12v system comes easily to me but this is the first exposure to a 24v system that I've had. However, I don't ask any questions about it here anymore after the last fiasco when my battery went dead and I was trying to understand. Apparently I asked the wrong question at the wrong time.

As for 12v systems without a schematic available, Rosscommon or civilian, I would think someone with knowledge of a regular 12v system should be able to figure things out with a test light or voltmeter it would seem, whether the wiring was conventional or not. (?)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keyword - Knowledge :mrgreen:

Now the question is, if you don't possess that knowledge yourself, how much would you be willing to spend for a mechanic (who has the knowlegde) to aquire that additional knowledge to figure out your system - stock or modified?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks