• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rosscommon 12 volt conversion opinion

scottladdy

I would say, it really didn't take me long to understand the "hybrid" system in the CUCV's. The majority is a straightforward 12volt system. Add on an additional 12 volt system in series for glow plugs, starting and charging the additional battery. Then the necessary components to isolate the second system and keep it in series with the first.

However, for me, I have what I consider to be the necessary prerequisites. I am a technology junkie. I work in a high tech. field. I have had a solid understanding of electrical systems since I was about twelve. And, most importantly I have patience, the willingness to RTFM, and stop when I don't understand something or something just ain't feeling "right".

I can't begin to imagine trying to find a mechanic that would take the time to understand these trucks. If you are lucky, you have a friend in the business with the aptitude, or desire to learn something new and aptitude to do so.

TM's - Free
Membership on SS- Free
Warthog, Doghead, and advice and council from members - priceless

MarcusOReallyus

As for 12v systems without a schematic available, Rosscommon or civilian, I would think someone with knowledge of a regular 12v system should be able to figure things out with a test light or voltmeter it would seem, whether the wiring was conventional or not. (?)

Now put yourself in the place of a newbie who doesn't know much about electricity, trying to figure out this weird hybrid of a 24/12v kludge.

Now put yourself in the place of someone who is trying to help said newbie via an online forum, and you find out that said newbie's system is:

1. Not stock.
  2. Not civvy stock.
  3. Not Roscommon.

Then you get an idea of why some folks here aren't really keen on converting to 12v.

If you know what you're doing, fine. But then, you don't need help from SS. And unless you need to jump MVs, this hybrid kludge really doesn't offer many benefits. Certainly not enough to outweigh the downsides.

But if you do NOT know what you're doing, the 12 conversion doesn't offer enough benefits to outweigh giving up the resource of ready help from SS.

At least, that's the way I see it.

madcroc1

12V and 24V working together

Does any one know if there is anything problem with installing a 12V system (cig lighter or other 12 volt accessory) and wire the positive to the first (+) side of battery 1 in the bank? I'm interested in running some general 12 Volts accessories and I don't understand why this appears to be so complicated for people or why it shouldn't be done. If you measure from the first battery in the series bank (+) to ground (-), I see 12 volts. Is there some reason we should not do this or why you can't run both 12V and 24V on these trucks at the same time ?

Battery 1 Battery 2
(-) Ground |----> (-) Neg
--------- | ---------
| | | | |
| | | | |
--------- | ---------
(+) 12V <---| (+) 24 Volt -------> Truck System <---(-) 24 volt Ground
|
|
|----> (+) 12 Volt Accessories <---(-) 12 volt accessory Ground

madcroc1

12 volt and 24 volt working together

Sorry but that image didn't post correctly.

Here is a simpler one:

Ground (-) Battery 1 (+) - 12 Volts

(+) Bat1 connects to Bat2(-)

(-) Battery 2 (+) - 24 Volts

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to start a new thread. The topic of this thread is the Rosscommonequipment conversion.

Using the front battery it will work. It will work for the rear battery if the device DOESN'T use the chassis as a ground. Sparks will fly if it does.